Professor EJ Lowe, B.Phil., M.A., D.Phil.
Jonathan Lowe has published over 200 articles on metaphysics, the philosophy of mind and action, the philosophy of logic, the philosophy of language, and early modern philosophy. His books include: Kinds of Being (1989), Locke on Human Understanding (1995), Subjects of Experience (1996), The Possibility of Metaphysics (1998), An Introduction to the Philosophy of Mind (2000), A Survey of Metaphysics (2002), Locke (2005), The Four-Category Ontology (2006), Personal Agency (2008) and More Kinds of Being (2009). His recent awards include a British Academy/Leverhulme Trust Senior Research Fellowship (2003-4). He is a General Editor of the Cambridge Studies in Philosophy monograph series.
Recent Projects, Grants and Awards
- Principal Investigator in a Marie Curie one-year project (119, 000 Euros) on 'Mental Causation' (research fellow Dr Mariusz Grygianiec), 2010-11
- Co-investigator in an AHRC-funded two-year project (£165,000) on 'The New Ontology of the Mental Causation Debate' (principal investigator Dr S. C. Gibb, Durham University), 2008-10
- British Academy/Leverhulme Trust Senior Research Fellow, 2003-04
Jonathan Lowe's research is concentrated in the following areas of philosophy and he would welcome enquiries from students wishing to pursue research in any of them:
- Contemporary metaphysics
- The philosophy of logic and language
- The philosophy of mind and action
- The philosophy of John Locke
- Mind, Language and Metaphysics
- Lowe, EJ (2005). Philosophical Logic.
Book chapters: online
- Lowe, EJ (2010). 'On the individuation of powers'. In The Metaphysics of Powers. Marmodoro, A Routledge. 8-26.
- Lowe, E Jonathan (2013). Forms of Thought: A Study in Philosophical Logic. Cambridge University Press.
- Lowe, EJ (2009). More Kinds of Being: A Further Study of Individuation, Identity, and the Logic of Sortal Terms. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Lowe, EJ (2008). Personal Agency: The Metaphysics of Mind and Action. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Lowe, EJ (2006). The Four-Category Ontology: A Metaphysical Foundation for Natural Science. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Lowe, EJ (2005). Locke. London, New York: Routledge.
- Lowe, EJ (2002). A Survey of Metaphysics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Journal papers: academic
- Lowe, EJ (2012). 'What is the source of our knowledge of modal truths?'.