Dr John Bissell
Research Interests: Mathematical Biology
My current research lies mainly in mathematical modelling of so-called `tipping-point' systems, that is, systems which undergo transitions between markedly different states following small changes to key parameters. Present interests include:
- Behavioural transmission dynamics as epidemics
- Conformity bias and catastrophic transitions in trends or fashions
- Pedestrian flow and crowd dynamics
Research Interests: Plasma Physics
In addition to my research on `tipping points' in mathematical biology and social dynamics, I also work on related systems in the physical sciences, specifically plasma physics. In this area I focus on:
- Electromagnetic instability (especially magnetothermal instability)
- Collisional transport theory and magnetic field dynamics
- Computational modelling of transport with coupled magnetohydrodynamics
Teaching: Laplace Transforms and Multiple Integrals (Michaelmas Term 2012)
This year I am lecturing the second-year undergraduate engineering course "Laplace Transforms and Multiple Integrals" (confusingly part of the Numerical Methods series, 2H Engineering). Sets of outline notes will be posted on this page (below) in advance of lectures:
- Complete Set of Lecture Handouts (Printer Friendly Version)
- Complete Set of Lecture Handouts (Tablet Version)
- Solving Ordinary Differential Equations Using Laplace Transforms (Bonus Handout)
- Problem sheet
- Solutions to the Problem Sheet are now available on DUO
Students: Please advise me of errors. If I correct the notes, then revisions will be uploaded throughout term.
Journal papers: academic
- Bissell, J. J., Ridgers, C. P. & Kingham, R. J. (2013). Super-Gaussian transport theory and the field-generating thermal instability in laser-plasmas. New Journal of Physics 15(2): 025017.
- Bissell, J. J., Kingham, R. J. & Ridgers, C. P. (2012). Magnetothermal instability in laser plasmas including hydrodynamic effects. Physics of Plasmas 19(5): 052107.
- Bissell, J. J., Ridgers, C. P. & Kingham, R. J. (2010). Field Compressing Magnetothermal Instability in Laser Plasmas. Physical Review Letters 105(17): 175001.
- Bissell, J.J. (2012). Dimensional analysis and dimensional reasoning. In Ways of Thinking, Ways of Seeing Mathematical and Other Modelling in Engineering and Technology. Bissell, C.C. & Dillon, C. Berlin: Springer. 29-47.
Other publications: research
- Bissell, J.J. (2010). Resilience of UK Infrastructure - POST Note. London: Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology (POST). POST Note (362).