Academic Visitors & Fellowship Applications
We welcome Visiting Academics to the Department of Geography who may wish to visit whilst on sabbatical. We also welcome enquiries from researchers who may wish to base themselves in our Department for the period of a funded Fellowship.
If you wish to come to Durham Geography as a Visiting Academic on sabbatical you need to:
- Provide an up-to-date CV;
- A plan of research activity for the duration of the visit;
- Have written support from an identified academic sponsor (a member of academic staff) in the Department;
- Make sure that you have enough funds to pay your bench fees (see below) and support yourself whilst in Durham;
- Be invited by the Director of Research in writing.
The Department charges a bench fee to cover the basic costs of access to the University and Department facilities as follows:
1 year (12 months) at £2,000 (or pro-rata per week).
The bench fee covers the following:
- Reasonable use of stationery, postage and faxing;
- Internal and local telephone calls from the Department;
- IT facilities, photocopying and printing in the Department;
- Departmental University library facilities.
The bench fee does not cover:
- Housing and subsistence;
- Laboratory consumables costs;
- Equipment costs;
- Field research costs;
- Long distance and overseas telephone calls from the Department;
- Use of a workstation (you are advised to bring your own laptop).
Bench fees must be paid on the first day in the Department.
Applications must be submitted to Lianne Percival. Once the application is received, details will be forwarded to the Director of Research who will either refer the application to a full Research Committee meeting or take Chair’s action. One of three decisions will then be taken:
- To decline the application.
- To approve the application as requested.
- To approve the application subject to negotiation.
Please note that letters of invitation will only be issued once the decision by the Research Committee or the Director of Research has been taken. Compliance with recent changes to immigration regulations require us to adhere to this. The department will not sign any contracts or enter into any agreements with either visitors or their institutions.
IMPORTANT: It is the Visiting Academic's responsibility to deal with immigration, visas, accommodation and family issues.
Anyone interested in applying for a Fellowship with the Department as the host institution should contact the Director of Research. Potential applicants should contact the Department well in advance of the closing deadline, normally a minimum of two months ahead, with the following information:
- Details of the scheme to which they wish to apply;
- A 2 pp A4 outline of the programme of proposed work, to include a statement on why you wish to base the fellowship in the Department;
- A short supporting statement from an academic sponsor (an academic member of staff), outlining how the proposed programme of work aligns with their research;
- Provide an up-to-date CV.
IMPORTANT: Should a Fellowship application be successful, it will be the fellow’s responsibility to deal with issues of immigration, visas, accommodation and families as appropriate.