Staff and Postgraduate Students
Dr Charlotte Adams
Charlotte Adams (Née Nuttall) joined the Department of Earth Sciences at Durham as Business Research Coordinator in Geo Energy in 2009. Previously, she worked in industry as a renewable energy consultant specialising in geothermal energy and ground source heat.
Prior to this, she was a Research Associate within the HERO group in the Department of Civil Engineering and Geosciences at Newcastle University working on the remediation of waters flowing from and within abandoned metal and coal mines.
1996-1999 PhD - EPSRC Case Studenship - Environment Agency, Depertment of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, Newcastle University.
Thesis: Aquatic Zinc Pollution from Abandoned Mines: Assessment and Passive Treatment in the Nent Valley, Cumbria, UK.
Supervisors: Prof Paul L Younger, Newcastle University, Prof Andy C Aplin, Newcastle University, Ms Anne J Lewis, Environment Agency.
1992-1996 - BSc Hons Environmental Geology - School of Geography and Geosciences, University of St Andrews.
Thesis: Environmental Impacts of Lead Mining at Nenthead, Cumbria
Supervisor: Dr Graeme H Oliver, University of St Andrews
- Geothermal Energy
- Groundwater Hydrogeochemistry
- Minewater Pollution Prevention
- Passive Treament of Minewater
- Renewable Energy Technology
- Nuttall, C.A. (2002). Mine Water Treatment: A Decade of Progress - Proceedings of a National Conference Held at the University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, 11th-13th November.
- Nuttall, C. A., Adams, R. & Younger, P.L. (2004). Integrated hydraulic/hydrogeochemical assessment of flooded deep mine voids by test pumping at Deerplay (Lancashire) and Frances Colliery (Fife). In Mine Water Hydrogeology and Geochemistry. Geological Society, London, Special Publication. Younger, P. L. & Robbins, N. S. The Geological Society. 315-326.
- Nuttall, C. A. & Younger, P. L. (2004). Secondary minerals in the abandoned mines of Nenthead, Cumbria as sinks for pollutant metals. In Mine Water Hydrogeology and Geochemistry. Geological Society, London, Special Publication. Younger, P. L. & Robbins, N. S. The Geological Society. 241-250.
Edited works: conference proceedings
- Nuttall, C. A. & Younger, P. L. (2000). Assessment and experimental passive treatment of zinc-rich net alkaline minewaters, Nent Valley, UK. In: Rozkowski, A. & Rogoz, M. Mine water and the Environment. Proceedings of the 7th International mine water association congress held 11-15th Sept 2000, Ustron, Poland. Mine water and the Environment, Ustron, Poland.
Journal papers: academic
- Nuttall, C. A. & Younger, P. L. (2004). Hydrochemical stratification in flooded underground mines: an overlooked pitfall. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 69: 101-114.
- Nuttall, C.A. (2003). Testing and performance of a newly constructed full-scale passive treatment system at Whittle Colliery, Northumberland. Land Contamination & Reclamation 11(2): 105-112.
- Nuttall, C. A. & Younger, P. L. (2000). Zinc removal from hard circum-neutral mine waters using a novel closed-bed limestone reactor. Water Research 34(1262-1268).
- Nuttall, C. A. & Younger, P. L. (1999). Reconnaissance Hydrogeochemical Evaluation of an Abandoned Pb–Zn Orefield, Nent Valley, Cumbria, UK. Proceedings of the Yorkshire Geological Society 52: 395-405.