Staff and Postgraduate Students
Dr Jeroen van Hunen, MSc Geophysics, PhD
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 2011-present: Senior Lecturer, Department of Earth Sciences, Durham University
- 2006-2011: Lecturer, Department of Earth Sciences, Durham University
- 2004-2006: Oberassistent, ETH, Zurich, Switzerland
- 2002-2004: Postdoctoral researcher, Department of Physics, University of Colorado at Boulder, USA
- 1997-2001: PhD, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
- 1990-1996: MSc, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Two PhD opportunities
Funding is available for two PhD students to work on 'Modelling of Archean subduction and crust formation'., with approximate start date: Summer 2013. For more information, see here.
Application deadline: 31st March 2013. To apply online, click here.
- Subduction dynamics
- Dynamics of the early Earth
- Sub-lithospheric small-scale convection
- Plumes and intraplate volcanism
- Interaction between solid Earth and exosphere
- Carbon Capture and Storage
Possible mode of Archaean subduction (after van Hunen and van den Berg, 2008):
Conferences and workshops
- EGU 2005+2006, Convenor of 'Mantle Plumes, intraplate magmatism and hotspot-ridge interaction: Geodynamical, Geophysical and Geochemical Aspects'
- EGU 2007: Convenor of 'Geodynamics and Geochemistry of the Early Earth'
- Co-organiser of the '10th International Workshop on Modelling of Mantle Convection and Lithospheric Dynamics.' September, 2007, Carry-le-Rouet, France.
- Main organizer of 'Water on Earth and Beyond', 22+23 Sept. 2009, Durham, UK.
- EGU 2010+2011: Convenor of 'Early Earth: from deep dynamics to surface life'
- EGU 2010: co-convenor of Union Session 'Early Earth and early biosphere'
- AGU 2010 co-convenor of 'The Formation and Deformation of the Mediterranean Basins, Continental Margins, and Arcs'
- EGU 2011: co-convenor of 'Subduction zone dynamics from the surface to the lower mantle'
- British Geophysical Association, Leeds, UK (2012)
- 12th European mantle convection workshop, Potsdam, Germany (2011)
- Crust-to-core conference, Marianske Lazne, Czech Republic (2010)
- Archaean Environment, ESF workshop, Mekrijärvi, Finland (2009)
- 33rd International Geological Conference, Oslo, Norway (2008)
- Archaean Oceans, ESF workshop, Rio Tinto, Spain (2007)
- Cambridge University, February, 2012
- St Etienne & Clermond Ferrand, France, November, 2011
- University of Liverpool, May, 2011
- EGU, Vienna, 2011
- BGI Bayreuth, Germany, November, 2010
- University of Utrecht, The Netherlands, April, 2010
- University College London, March 2010
- Cambridge University, May 2008
- Leeds University, March, 2007
- Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic, September 2004
- Caltech, USA, Feb. 2003
Journal papers: academic
- Magni, V., Faccenna, C., van Hunen, J. & Funiciello, F. (2013). Delamination vs. break-off: the fate of continental collision. Geophysical Research Letters 40(2): 285.
- Bianco, T.A., Ito, G., van Hunen, J., Mahoney, J.J. & Ballmer, M.D. (2013). Geochemical variations at ridge-centered hotspots caused by variable melting of a veined mantle plume. Earth and Planetary Science Letters
- van Hunen, Jeroen & Moyen, Jean-François (2012). Archean Subduction: Fact or Fiction?. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 40(1): 195.
- Watson, FE , Mathias, SA , van Hunen, J, Daniels, SE & Jones, RR (2012). Dissolution of CO2 from leaking fractures in saline formations. Transport in Porous Media 94: 729-745.
- Bottrill, Andrew D, van Hunen, Jeroen & Allen, Mark B (2012). Insight into collision zone dynamics from topography: numerical modelling results and observations. Solid Earth 3(2): 387.
- Magni, V., van Hunen, J., Funiciello, F. & Faccenna, C. (2012). Numerical models of slab migration in continental collision zones. Solid Earth 3(2): 293-306.
- Moyen, Jean-François & van Hunen, Jeroen (2012). Short-term episodicity of Archaean plate tectonics. Geology 40(5): 451-454.
- Holt, PJ, van Hunen, J. & Allen, MB. (2012). Subsidence of the West Siberian Basin: Effects of a mantle plume impact. Geology 40(8): 703-706.
- Laurie, L., Stevens, G. & van Hunen, J. (2012). The end of continental growth by TTG magmatism. Terra Nova 25(2): 130.
- van Hunen, J. & Allen, M.B. (2011). Continental collision and slab break-off: a comparison of 3-D numerical models with observations. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 302(1-2): 27-37.
- Bianco, TA, Ito, G, van Hunen, J, Ballmer, MD & Mahoney JJ (2011). Geochemical variations at intraplate hot spots caused by variable melting of a veined mantle plume. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems 12(7).
- Mittelstaedt, E., Ito, G. & van Hunen, J. (2011). Repeat ridge jumps associated with plume‐ridge interaction, melt transport, and ridge migration. Journal of Geophysical Research 116: B01102.
- Ballmer, M.D., Ito, G., van Hunen, J. & Tackley, P.J. (2011). Spatial and temporal variability in Hawaiian hotspot volcanism induced by small-scale convection. Nature Geoscience 4(7): 457-460.
- Holt, P. J., Allen, M. B., van Hunen, J. & Bjørnseth, H. M. (2010). Lithospheric cooling and thickening as a basin forming mechanism. Tectonophysics 495(3-4): 184-194.
- van Wijk, J.W., Baldridge, W.S., van Hunen, J., Goes, S., Aster, R., Coblentz, D.D., Grand, S.P. & and Ni, J. (2010). Small-scale convection at the edge of the Colorado Plateau: Implications for topography, magmatism, and evolution of Proterozoic lithosphere. Geology 38(7): 611-614.
- Ballmer MD, Ito G, van Hunen J & Tackley PJ (2010). Small-scale sublithospheric convection reconciles geochemistry and geochronology of 'Superplume' volcanism in the western and south Pacific. Earth and planetary science letters 290(1-2): 224-232.
- Faccenna C, Di Giuseppe E, Funiciello F, Lallemand S & van Hunen J (2009). Control of seafloor aging on the migration of the Izu-Bonin-Mariana trench. Earth and planetary science letters 288(3-4): 386-398.
- Halla, J., van Hunen, J., Heilimo, E. & Holtta, P. (2009). Geochemical and numerical constraints on Neoarchean plate tectonics. Precambrian Research 174: 155-162.
- Ballmer, Maxim D., van Hunen, Jeroen, Ito, Garrett, Bianco, Todd A. & Tackley, Paul J. (2009). Intraplate volcanism with complex age-distance patterns: A case for small-scale sublithospheric convection. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems 10: Q06015.
- Gröcke, D. R., Rimmer, S. M. Yoksoulian, L. E., Cairncross, B., Tsikos, H. & van Hunen, J. (2009). No evidence for thermogenic methane release in coal from the Karoo-Ferrar large igneous province. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 277(1-2): 204-212.
- Di Giuseppe, E., Faccenna, C., Funiciello, F., van Hunen, J. & Giardini, D. (2009). On the relation between trench migration, seafloor age, and the strength of the subducting lithosphere. Lithosphere 1: 121-128.
- van Hunen, Jeroen & Cadek, Ondrej (2009). Reduced oceanic seismic anisotropy by small-scale convection. Earth and Planetay Science Letters 284(3-4): 622-629.