Dr Peter Heslin, Ph.D.
P.J. Heslin is the author of The Transvestite Achilles: Gender and Genre in the Achilleid of Statius (Cambridge University Press, 2005). His research intrests are in Latin poetry and its reception, Roman painting, and humanities computing. He has recently finished a book on the Trojan War in Roman painting and poetry; his next book will be on Propertius. He develops free, open-source software for the use of humanists and especially for the study of Classical texts; this can be downloaded from his home page.
- Latin epic
- Latin elegy
- Reception of Latin poetry
- Roman painting
- Humanities computing
- Heslin, P.J. (2005). The Transvestite Achilles: Gender and Genre in Statius' Achilleid. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Essays in edited volumes
- Heslin, P. J. (2008). Statius and the Greek Tragedians on Athens, Thebes and Rome. In The Poetry of Statius. J. J. L. Smolenaars, H.-J. Van Dam & R. R. Nauta Leiden: Brill. 111-128.
Journal papers: academic
- Heslin, Peter (2011). Metapoetic Pseudonyms in Horace, Propertius and Ovid. Journal of Roman Studies 101: 51-72.
- Heslin, Peter (2011). The Augustus Code: a response to L. Haselberger. Journal of Roman Archeology 24: 74-77.
- Heslin, Peter (2010). Virgil’s Georgics and the Dating of Propertius’ First Book. Journal of Roman Studies 100: 54-68.
- Heslin, Peter J. (2007). Augustus, Domitian, and the So-called Horologium Augusti. Journal of Roman Studies 97: 1-20.
- Heslin, P. J. (1997). The scansion of Pharsalia (Catullus 64.37; Achilleid 1.152; Calpurnius Siculus 4.101). Classical Quarterly 47: 588-93.
- Heslin, Peter (2011). Review of J. S. Burgess, The Death and Afterlife of Achilles. The Classical Review 61(02): 356-357.
- (2010). Review of A. M. Keith, Propertius: Poet of Love and Leisure. Journal of Roman Studies 100: 291--292.
- Heslin, P. J. (2008). Review of McNelis, C., Statius' Thebaid and the Poetics of Civil War and Ganiban, R. T., Statius and Virgil: The Thebaid and the Reinterpretation of the Aeneid. Journal of Roman Studies 98: 243-245.
- Heslin, P. J. (2007). Review of Gibson, B. (ed.), Statius Silvae 5 and Zeiner, N. K., Nothing Ordinary Here: Statius as a Creator of Distinction in the Silvae. Journal of Roman Studies 97.
- Heslin, P.J. (2006). Review of A. J. Kleywegt, Valerius Flaccus, Argonautica, Book I. A Commentary. Classical Review 56: 364-367.
- Heslin, P. J. (2006). Review of the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae, third electronic edition. Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2006.02.19.
- Heslin, P.J. (2001). Review of the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae, CD ROM Disk E. Bryn Mawr Classical Review
- Heslin, P. J. (1999). Review of Charles Martindale (ed.) The Cambridge Companion to Virgil. Classics Ireland 6: 115-19.
- Heslin, P.J. (1998). Review of David R. Slavitt (translator), Broken Columns: Two Roman Epic Fragments: The Achilleid of Publius Papinius Statius and The Rape of Proserpine of Claudius Claudianus. Bryn Mawr Classical Review 1998.11.16.
- Heslin, P. J. (1996). Review of A D Melville (trans.) Statius, Thebaid. Hermathena 161: 98-101.
Other media: research
- Heslin, P.J. (2007). Diogenes, version 3.1.