Trevelyan College takes its name from the distinguished historian George Macaulay Trevelyan, one-time Master of Trinity College, Cambridge, and Chancellor of the University of Durham (1950-1957). Originally for women only, the College was founded in 1966 and formally opened in March 1968. The architectural design of the building, based on hexagonal blocks arranged round a central courtyard, has been much admired and won Civic Trust Award in 1968. A new accommodation block was added in 1991. The College has about 600 students, of whom 320 are resident at any one time.
A History of the College has been produced to celebrate its 40th Anniversary in 2006. Written by Susan Martin, wife of the former College Principal, it costs £7.50 (inclusive of postage and packing) please see our Alumni pages for details.