V6K022 Theology and Religion GDip Postgraduate Taught 2019
This course is intended for those who hold a BA (Honours) degree in another discipline, but who wish to acquire a knowledge of Theology and Religion at a level which would permit them to undertake further study in the subject.
There are five or six optional modules to choose from, with no core modules on the course.
Optional modules in previous years have included 2 choices from:
- Landscapes of Worship in Contemporary South Asia
- Literature and Theology of the Old Testament
- New Testament Theology
- Topics in Christian Ethics
- Death, Ritual and Belief
- The Making of Modern Christianity: Medieval and Reformation Europe
- Christian Theology: Essential Questions I
- Christian Theology: Essential Questions II
- God, Freedom and the Soul
- Philosophy and the Christian Tradition
- One further 20 credit module offered by the Department of Theology & Religion at Levels 1 or 2.
Plus 3 or 4 choices from:
- Biblical Theology
- Advanced Greek Texts
- New Testament Ethics
- Issues in Old Testament Studies
- The First Urban Churches
- Religion and Film
- Emotion and Identity in Religion
- The Sociology of Conservative Protestantism
- The Postmodern God
- 1 Peter and the Petrine Tradition (English)
- 1 Peter and the Petrine Tradition (with Greek)
- Christian Tradition and the Practice of Politics
- The Letters of John and the origins of Gnosticism (English)
- The Letters of John and the origins of Gnosticism (Greek)
- The Historical Jesus
- Reading Greek Sources about the Historical Jesus
- Jesus Christ in the Twentieth Century
- Faith and the Experience of War in the Christian World
- Religions in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Religious Difference in the Reformation World
- Thomas Aquinas: Background, context and Legacy
- Religion, Media and Popular Culture
- Graduate Diploma Dissertation.
To find out more about the modules available to students studying at Durham University please click here.
Please note: Current modules are indicative. Information for future academic years may change, for example, due to developments in the relevant academic field, or in light of student feedback.
Learning and Teaching
Course Learning and Teaching
You will receive on average 7.5 hours of timetabled contact per week. This will include a combination of lectures, seminars, and tutorials. Timetabled contact is only the beginning of your learning. It provides a starting point for your development as an independent learner. Typically, classroom teaching and learning will form nearly 25% of the time you will spend on your studies, you will be expected to spend the remaining 75% of your time on independent research.
You can opt to write a Dissertation (40 credits), a large research project that would count for one third of your marks. This gives you the opportunity to engage at an advanced level with creative cutting-edge research at the forefront of the discipline, working on a topic of your choice. For the dissertation you will have a supervisor who will guide and discuss your research with you.
In addition to all this the Department also has an extensive programme of research-related activities that you are warmly encouraged to attend. These include several research seminar series and public lectures from high-profile guest speakers and visiting scholars. The University also frequently hosts eminent and well-known visiting speakers.
Subject requirements, level and grade
The standard entry requirement is a BA (Honours) degree (UK 2:1 or equivalent, for example, a GPA of 3.7 on a scale of 4.0 scale), but applicants from non-traditional backgrounds or with other qualifications may be considered subject to interview and a review of written work.
The Diploma is an ideal course to take if you are wanting to transition from another discipline to Theology and Religion, which you might wish to pursue at MA level. It is also ideal if you have already studied theology and religion to first degree level in another country, and wish to become familiar with the critical approach to these subjects that is typical in British public universities.
The University will contact the referees named in your application directly. Please ensure that your referees are able to provide a reference in a timely fashion. If you are also applying for a Durham MA bursary, please ensure that your referees understand that their references will be used both for admission and for a very competitive funding process.
English Language requirements
Please check requirements for your subject and level of study.
How to apply
Fees and Funding
Fees and Funding
The tuition fees for 2019/20 academic year have not yet been finalised, they will be displayed here once approved.
Note: Fees are subject to review and change in-line with inflation.
Please also check costs for colleges and accommodation.