Current Postgraduate Students
Professor Mike Higton
In 1991, at the beginning of the third year of my undergraduate degree, I made a last-minute decision to switch from maths to theology – and I haven’t looked back since. I started my first teaching job in 1999 in Exeter’s Department of Lifelong Learning, overseeing evening classes in theology all over the South West from Truro to Yeovil, and developing distance learning courses. In 2005 I moved over to the Department of Theology, where I taught modern Christian theology and the history of Christian doctrine, and became became Head of Department in 2006. In 2010, I took up a three-year secondment to the Cambridge Inter-faith Programme, to develop research programmes bringing together scholars of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, and helping develop associated public education projects.
My post in Durham is part of the University's Common Awards partnership with the Church of England. I am responsible for academic input into the University's validation of the Common Awards in Theology, Ministry and Mission offered by the Church in colleges and courses around the country, and for developing collaborative research projects that bring together people from the church and university sectors to discuss the future of theological education.
I am married to Hester, a historian of science who now works as a copy editor and proof reader, and have two children, Bridget and Tom.
I am currently supervising or co-supervising a number of PhD and DThM students.
- Joel Edwards (DThM)
- Philip Turner (DThM)
- Jennifer Fields (Cambridge PhD)
- Brett Gray (Cambridge PhD)
- David Holyan (Exeter PhD)
- Rimes McElveen (Exeter PhD)
- Cherryl Hunt (Exeter PhD)
- Christian doctrine
- Postliberal theology
- Anglican theology
- Theology of higher education
- Higton, Mike (2012). A Theology of Higher Education. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Muers, Rachel & Higton, Mike (2012). Modern Theology: A Critical Introduction. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Higton, Mike & Muers, Rachel (2012). The Text in Play: Experiments in Reading Scripture. Cascade Books.
- Higton, Mike (2008). Christian Doctrine. SCM.
- Higton, Mike (2004). Christ, Providence, and History: Hans W. Frei's Public Theology. London: T & T Clark.
- Higton, Mike (2004). Difficult Gospel: The Theology of Rowan Williams. London: SCM Press.
Chapter in book
- Higton, Mike (2017). Education and the Virtues. In The Universities We Need: Theological Perspectives. Heap, Stephen Routledge. 77-90.
- Higton, Mike (2016). Christian Doctrine and the Discipline of Reading Scripture. In Theologians on Scripture. Paddison, Angus Bloomsbury / T&T Clark. 93-104.
- Higton, Mike (2016). Faithful Improvisation or Talent Management? A Conversation Between the FAOC Report and the Green Report. In Faithful Improvisation? Theological Reflections on Church Leadership. Higton, Mike & Alexander, Loveday Church House.
- Higton, Mike (2016). Marriage, Gender, and Doctrine. In Thinking Again about Marriage. Bradbury, John & Cornwall, Susannah London: SCM Press. 14-28.
- Higton, Mike (2015). Reason. In The Routledge Companion to the Practice of Christian Theology. Higton, Mike & Fodor, Jim London: Routledge. 9-22.
- Higton, Mike & Alexander, Loveday (2016). Faithful Improvisation? Theological Reflections on Church Leadership. Church House.
- Higton, Mike & Bowald, Mark Alan (2016). Hans Frei: Reading Faithfully: Writings from the Archives, 2: Frei's Theological Background. Wipf and Stock / Cascade.
- Higton, Mike & Bowald, Mark Alan (2015). Hans Frei: Reading Faithfully; Writings from the Archives, 1: Theology and Hermeneutics. Wipf and Stock (Cascade).
- Higton, Mike & Fodor, Jim (2015). The Routledge Companion to the Practice of Christian Theology. Routledge Companions. Routledge.
- Ford, David, Higton, Mike & Zahl, Simeon (2012). The Modern Theologians Reader. Chichester, West Sussex Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Higton, M.A. (2017). Discovering Virtue: How to be Good in Higher Education. Occasional Papers on Faith in Higher Education
- Higton, M.A. (2017). Teaching and Witness in the Life of the Church. Scottish Episcopal Institute Journal 1.2: 6-20.
- Higton, Mike (2015). George Lindbeck and the Christological Nature of Doctrine. Criswell Theological Review 13(1): 47-61.
- Higton, Mike (2014). Reconstructing The Nature of Doctrine. Modern Theology 30(1): 1-31.
- Higton, Mike (2013). Scriptural Reasoning and the Discipline of Christian Doctrine. Modern Theology 29(4): 120-137.
- Higton, Mike (2013). Theological Education between the University and the Church: Durham University and the Common Awards in Theology, Ministry and Mission. Journal of Adult Theological Education 10(1): 25-37.
- Higton, Mike (2013). Wisdom and Delight in the University. Journal of Beliefs & Values 34(3): 300-311.
- Higton, Mike (2011). The Ecclesial Body’s Grace: Obedience and Faithfulness in Rowan Williams. Ecclesiology 7(1): 7-28.