We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Student Registry

Council Tax Exemption

What is Council Tax?

This is a tax which is set by local councils to help pay for the services that they provide. The tax is payable by the household and not the individual.

Council Tax Exemption

If you are a full time student at University you are entitled to exemption from paying council tax.

A full time student is defined as studying more than 21 hours a week for more than 24 weeks a year. The course must last for at least one academic year or calendar year.

Notification of Exemption to the Councils

A list of all registered full time students is regularly sent to:

  • Durham County Council
  • Hartlepool Borough Council
  • Middlesbrough Council
  • Stockton on Tees Borough Council
  • Darlington Council
  • Newcastle City Council
  • Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council

You are advised to contact your local authority to confirm your student status.

There are a number of circumstances where you may need a Council Tax Exemption Certificate.

These include:

  • You do not live in one of the above areas
  • You were not enrolled at the time when the list was sent to the council
  • Your parents may need evidence of your exemption

Is your Term Time address in area of Stockton Borough Council?

If you live in private accommodation you will need to complete an application form for council tax discount. All students living in the property need to complete their own application form. Further information and the form can be found by clicking here.

How to obtain a Council Tax Exemption Certificate

If you are a registered student at the University, you can print your own Exemption Certificate. To do this you need to; log in to duo, click on the Banner Self Service tool, select Self Service Student Letters, and choose Council Tax Letter.

Your Exemption Certificate will include your current term time address, therefore you must ensure that the term time address on your student record is correct before printing. You can update your address via the enrolment pages on duo.

Exemption certificates can only be provided for students who are full time and have a student record on the University student record system.

What you should do with the Council Tax Exemption Certificate

When you print your Exemption Certificate this should either be given to your landlord or sent to the council depending on the arrangements within your household.