We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Student Registry

Exit Qualifications

This page sets out what documentation will be provided to students who leave the university before completing their degree programme. For students who are required to withdraw and have been awarded an exit qualification, the published result will be "Required to withdraw and are awarded a Certificate of Higher Education" or "Required to withdraw and are awarded a Diploma of Higher Education." For those who withdraw voluntarily, Student Registry will check what credits have already been confirmed by a Board of Examiners on receipt of the withdrawal form.

To be eligible for the award of either a Certificate of Higher Education or a Diploma of Higher Education, students must have passed sufficient credits as detailed below:

For students entering October 2008 and before:

  • Certificate of Higher Education (CHE) - 100 credits (at Level 1 or above)
  • Diploma of Higher Education (DHE) - 200 credits (including at least 60 credits at Level 2 and no more than 140 credits at Level 1)

For students entering after October 2008 :

  • Certificate of Higher Education (CHE) - 120 credits (at Level 1 or above)
  • Diploma of Higher Education (DHE) - 240 credits (including at least 80 credits at Level 2 and no more than 160 credits at Level 1)

Further details can be found in the University's regulations for Undergraduate Programmes.

Unless notified otherwise, Student Registry will send any exit qualifications and a transcript of results to your permanent address as recorded on the student record system. For most undergraduate students, this will be your parents' address. If you want your documents sending to a different address, please contact and include your student number.

Any student who has left the university may request a transcript of results via the online document store