We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Student Finance

Other Sources of Income

Parent / Partner Contributions

You may not know this, but if your parents' (or your partner's) income is over a certain amount, the government expects them to contribute to your living costs.

This table shows the expected contributions for students who started their studies in 2016/17 or later, for the academic year 2018/19.

Household Income Maintenance Loan Assessed Parental / Partner Contribution
Less than £25,000 £8,700 £0
£30,000 £7,076 £0
£40,000 £6,828 £0
£42,875 £6,469 £0
£50,000 £5,579 £890
£60,000 £4,331 £2,138
£62,187 £4,054 £2,415

This table shows the expected contributions for students who started their studies prior to 2016/17.

Household Income

Maintenance Grant

Maintenance Loan

Assessed Parental/Partner Contribution

Less than £25,000




























If you don't have a Maintenance Grant and if your Maintenance Loan is less than £6,469 (or £6,236 for students starting their studies in 2016/17 or 2017/18) it's not enough to live on according to the government.

If this applies to you, you should have a conversation with your parents about money - they might not realise that they're meant to give you money to supplement your Maintenance Loan. It can be difficult to talk to parents about money, so it might help to show them this web-page or direct them to this article on Martin Lewis' Money Saving Expert website (although note that the government expects parents to supplement students' living costs to the value of the maximum Maintenance Loan, Martin Lewis' ready reckoners recommend that parents supplement students' living costs to the value of the maximum Maintenance Loan plus the maximum Maintenance Grant.

If your parents aren't able to help you financially and you can't increase your income in any other way you may be eligible for an award from the Student Support Fund.

Student Bank Accounts

Most students can open a student bank account with an interest-free student overdraft. It is good financial management to use your interest-free student overdraft as extra income if you need to do so, and don't worry, you won't have to pay it off immediately as soon as you graduate.


If your circumstances allow you to do paid work, the Student Employment Service may be able to help you to find a suitable job.


You may be eligible to apply for one of the Scholarships offered/administered by Durham University.

For external scholarships and other sources of income see the Save the Student Student Bursary and Scholarship Sources web page.

Durham University NEFirst Postgraduate Loan Scheme (taught postgraduates only)

Full-time, home fee-paying, self-financing taught postgraduate students may apply for a loan of up to £7,000 towards their tuition fees from the NEFirst Credit Union.

Student Finance England Postgraduate Loans (taught postgraduates only)

Taught postgraduates from England who are starting their studies in 2017/18 are able to apply for loans of up to £10,280 from Student Finance England.

Benefits and Tax Credits

Full-time students are not usually eligible for benefits or tax credits, but if you are a single parent or a parent whose partner is also a student, or if you have a disability, you may be entitled to benefits and/or tax credits.

Contact the Department for Work and Pensions for further information.

TIP: If you need help managing your money, have a look at the information here.