We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Student Finance

Other Sources of Income

Parent / Partner Contributions

Home undergraduates and PGCE students: if your parent(s)/partner's income exceeds a certain amount, the government expects them to contribute to your living costs.

Many parents/partners don't know this, so you might have to show them this web page and ask them to help you with your living costs as a student. Alternatively you can show them this web page.

There is also an easy parental contribution calculator here (English students only, Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh students should check with their regional funding body).

Student Bank Accounts

Most home students can open a student bank account with an interest-free student overdraft. It is good financial management to use your interest-free student overdraft as extra income if you need to. You are not likely to have to pay it off as soon as you graduate either, most banks ask you to pay it off at a certain amount per year for the first three years after graduation (but always check your own bank's terms and conditions!).


If your circumstances allow you to do paid work, our Student Employment Service may be able to help you to find a suitable job.


You may be eligible to apply for one of the Scholarships offered/administered by Durham University.

For external scholarships and other sources of income see the Save the Student Student Bursary and Scholarship Sources web page.

Postgraduate Government Funding

Home postgraduate students may be eligible for loans from the government towards the cost of their studies.

NEFirst Credit Union Loans

Home taught postgraduate students may be eligible for an NEFirst Credit Union Loan.

Beware of payday loans, credit cards, betting, scams and sources of income which might jeopardise your wellbeing or your academic progress (for example adult work, drug trials or working an excessive amount of hours at a part-time job).

If you are considering income from any of these sources apply to the Student Support Fund for help instead.