Information for Freshers
Welcome to Durham!
Your Maintenance Loan
We are not allowed to confirm your registration to Student Finance England (or equivalent) until you have completed the University registration process. You will be provided information on how to complete this process when you arrive.
It takes 2 - 4 working days from confirmation of registration to your payment, so you should receive the first instalment of your Maintenance Loan towards the end of week commencing 11th or 18th January 2021.
Don't worry, you don't need to pay for your College accommodation now! See our Accommodation web page for how and when to pay for your College accommodation. Students not living in College who have essential costs at the start of the academic year may be able to take out an interest-free Short-term Loan from the Student Support Fund.
Your Tuition Fee Loan
Your Tuition Fee Loan will be paid by Student Finance England (or equivalent) to the University in three termly instalments. The first instalment should be paid in the first two weeks of the academic year.
The most important thing you can do as a student is to budget! It's a proven fact that students who budget are less stressed, have better mental health and better grades.
Learn how to budget here.
Don't Blow It!
For many of you, your first Maintenance Loan payment will be the most money you've ever had in your bank account. Don't spend it all at once!
5 Easy Steps to Budget Success for Students Living in College
- find out how much your first College accommodation payment will be.
- put this amount of money away in a separate savings account.
- subtract any big costs you know you'll have during your first term (books, travel home for Christmas etc.).
- divide the remainder by 15.
- this is how much you have to spend each week until your next Maintenance Loan payment on the 13th January 2020.