Middle Common Room
The purpose of the Middle Common Room (MCR) is to meet the specific needs of postgraduate, fourth year undergraduate and mature students through the establishment of a thriving intellectual and social community, and directed representation and welfare provision. The MCR organises a wide range of social and academic events, such as:
- Broaderlands a seminar series where students present their research to a friendly audience
- dissertation drop-ins with peer-led academic support
- termly MCR formal dinners
- film nights, entertainment and visits in the local area
- celebration of Chinese New Year, Pancake Day, 4th July and much more
Our dedicated Postgraduate Centre has both social and study space: a sitting room with a TV, a recently renovated kitchen with free refreshments, and a computer room with free printing throughout the year. The MCR Welfare Team offers peer support and organise events to promote the wellbeing of our members.
Membership of the MCR is 45 GBP per year, on an opt-in basis. New postgraduates will receive an invitation to join the MCR in their welcome communications.
"The MCR have regular events together, like film nights and formals, which are great fun and a nice chance to relax. The MCR also provides free tea & biscuits, which is a personal favourite."
Thomas Hodgson, Mathematical Sciences, 2012-2016
The Middle Common Room
The Postgraduate Centre
St John's College
3 South Bailey