2018 SOFI CDT Soft Matter Conference
Date: Wednesday 4th & Thursday 5th July 2018
Location: University of Edinburgh, James Clerk Maxwell Building, Lecture Theatre C
This is the 3rd Soft Matter Showcase Conference will organized and hosted by the EPSRC SOFI CDT. The conference will include 2 days of excellent science with a series of keynote talks from invited speakers, as well as presentations/posters from SOFI CDT academics and students and will conclude with a banquet in the exquisite Balmoral Hotel.
Prof Colin Bain, Durham University
Dr Matthew Horrocks, University of Edinburgh
Prof. Alex Routh, University of Cambridge
Dr Davide Michieletto, University of Edinburgh, "Physical Principles of HIV Integration in the Human Genome"
Prof. Alex Lips, University of Edinburg
Dr Andela Šarić, University College London.
Professor Niamh Nic Daeid, Leverhulme Research Centre for Forensic Science
Prof. Neil McKeown
Dr Stuart Prescott, UNSW Sydney
Dr Katherine Rumble, University of Edinburgh, "Bicontinuous Interfacially Jammed Emulsion Gels"
Marion Roulet, Unilever, University of Edinburgh
Dr Mike Ries, University of Leeds, "Sweet Molten Salts, dissolving carbohydrates in ionic liquids"
Prof. Jamie Hobbs, University of Sheffield
For the full two day programme click here:
How to register / pay for the event:
2018 SOFI CDT Industry Day
Date: Friday 6th July 2018
Location: University of Edinburgh, James Clerk Maxwell Building, Room 3217
We would also encourage you to register for the industry day on Friday 6th of July. Attendance is free to SOFI academics. You will have the opportunity to discuss science with our industrial partners. To make the event as productive as possible it would be good to have a broad spectrum of SOFI academics represented. As is previous years there will be structured 1:1 meetings, please fill out a profile on the website so that it is easy to find people with mutual interests.
To register for the industry day please just use the meeting mojo site
This is an opportunity for individuals from industry to engage with SOFI students and academics, to hear more about what SOFI CDT has to offer and initiate future projects and collaborations.
A registration fee for industrial delegates of £50 covers refreshments and a buffet lunch.
Register via epay (there is an option to only chose the industry day.)
Academics should register here.
10:30 Welcome and Introduction
10:45 Keynote Speaker: Dr Sam Olof, OxSyBio
12:00 Industry Academic Talks
13:15 1:1 meetings organised in advance (Lunch in parallel)
14:45 Horizon Scanning
15:30 Summary of discussion
16:00 Wrap up and next steps.
2017 SOFI CDT Soft Matter Conference
Date: Wednesday 5th & Thursday 6th July 2017
Location: Durham University, Calman Learning Centre, Arnold Wolfendale Room.
The 2nd Soft Matter Showcase Conference will be held at Durham University in the UK from the 5th July to 6th July 2017, organized and hosted by the EPSRC SOFI CDT. The Soft Matter Showcase 2017 will build on the initial successful one day meeting previously held at the University of Leeds in 2016.
The two day event will highlight the strength of ongoing soft matter research in UK Universities and its links with major international collaborators.
- Dr Olivier Cayre (University of Leeds) - Permanent encapsulation of small molecules: a solution relying on controlling nanoparticle adsorption to interfaces.
- Professor Vinothan N. Manoharan (Harvard University) - Structural color: from bird feathers to materials.
- Dr Mike Shaver (University of Edinburgh) - Exerting Control on Catalysts, Radicals and Rings: Adventures in Polymer Synthesis.
- Professor Helen Gleeson (University of Leeds) - Looking through a liquid crystal ball - novel materials and new prospects.
- Dr Rudy Koopmans (Plastics Innovation Competence Centre, Fribourg) - How to manage fluid flow instabilities. Or can we?
- Professor Arash Mostofi (Imperial College, London) - Multiscale modelling of the formation and structure of polyamide membranes for water desalination.
- Dr Evelien Beuling & Ross Blezard (Mondelez) - Food: Why the micro-scale matters.
- Professor Richard Jones (University of Sheffield) - Phase Separation in Polymer and Biopolymer Systems
- Dr Margarita Staykova (Durham University) - Lipid membranes under stretch: Biological insights and applications.
- Professor Ludwik Leibler (ESPCI)- High performance vitrimers from everyday plastics and thermosets
- Dr Ritu Kataky (Durham University) - Redox active molecules and nanoparticles in lipid bilayers
- Professor Wilson Poon (University of Edinburgh) - Painting with active colloids: templated self assembly using light controlled bacteria
Students are welcome to submit a poster outlining their latest research for display to attendees.Format: A0 Portrait Posters submitted by Monday 4th July to Julie McLoughlin, CDT Administrator, Chemistry Building Room 137C, Durham University.
Accommodation options are available - please continue to the registration page.
Registration includes admission to both days of the showcase event, coffee breaks and lunches during both conference days, conference banquet on the evening of Thursday 6th. Details of banquet menu
Summary Day 1 - Wednesday 5th July 2017
10:30 Day 1 open.
13:00 - 14:30 Lunch & Poster Session.
17:00 Day close.
Summary Day 2 - Thursday 6th July 2017
09:00 Day 2 open.
13:00 - 14:30 Lunch & Poster Session.
16:00 Day 2 close.
19:00 SOFI CDT Banquet - Great Hall, Durham Castle.
2017 SOFI Industry Day
Date: Friday 7th July 2017
Location: Durham University, Calman Learning Centre, Arnold Wolfendale Room
You are warmly invited to join us at SOFI’s 4th annual Industry Day on Friday 7th July 2017 at Durham University, Science Site. Rooms ES 228/9 and 230
SOFI is the EPSRC sponsored Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Soft Matter & Functional Interfaces. This joint collaboration between soft matter scientists in the Universities of Durham, Leeds and Edinburgh already has over 17 multinational and SME collaborating industries, over 15 international academic collaborating institutions and 44 PhD students.
The Industry Day is an opportunity for individuals from industry to engage with these SOFI members, to hear more about what SOFI has to offer and hopefully help initiate future projects and collaborations via private one-to –one and / or group discussions between industrialists, academics and students.
Those who have registered will be contacted in mid-June when the online one-to-one booking system opens. (Meeting Mojo software enables event attendees to pre-arrange business partnering meetings online.) If you have already registered and the system in live, please login to indicate what particular general areas you would like to discuss.
Registration fee for Industry delegates is £50. This fee covers morning and afternoon refreshments and a buffet lunch.
10:30 Welcome & Introduction