Sociology Department Staff
Publication details for Professor Sarah BanksBanks, S. (2012). Ethics and Values in Social Work. (fourth edition). Basingstoke & New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Publication type: Authored book
- ISSN/ISBN: 9780230300170
- Further publication details on publisher web site
Author(s) from Durham
Ethics and Values in Social Work offers a clear and systematic account of professional ethics in relation to social work practice, framed within a global context. Having sold over 38,000 copies across its lifetime, this is a thoroughly revised edition of a modern social work classic from a leading international author.
Combining a sound grasp of theoretical issues with a sharp focus on the latest policy and practice, this edition features:
• Detailed discussion of the participation of service users, including their role as activists and the importance of the service user movement;
• Extended analysis of professional regulation and codes of practice, and their role in defining the nature of social work;
• A vast array of practice examples, which bring current social issues to life;
• Comparison of the latest codes of ethics from across the globe;
• A wealth of supportive features, such as points for reflection, extended case studies and further resources.
Ethics and Values in Social Work successfully synthesizes the complex ideas and concepts that characterize social work's value base. Written with Banks' trademark accessibility and theoretical rigour, this book will continue to be an invaluable resource for all students, educators and practitioners of social work.