Dr Claire Sutherland, PhD, MSc, MSc, LLB
Associate Professor and Deputy Head of School in the School of Government and International Affairs
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 33 40626
Room number: SE112, Southend House
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Nationalism and nation building
- South East Asian politics
- Vietnamese politics
- Comparative European and South East Asian politics
- German politics
- Nations and Nationalism
- Sutherland, Claire (2017). Reimagining the Nation: Togetherness, belonging and mobility. Policy Press.
- Sutherland, Claire (2012). Nationalism in the twenty-first century: Challenges and responses. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Sutherland, Claire (2010). Soldered states: nation-building in Germany and Vietnam. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
Chapter in book
- Sutherland, Claire (2018). Lontananza e Rimpianto: I musei delle migrazioni come spazi per costruire la nazione [Leaving and Longing: Migration Museums as Nation-building Sites]. In Approdi: Musei delle migrazioni in Europa. Cimoli, Anna Chiara CLUEB.
- Sutherland, Claire (2018). Nationalism. In Handbook of Patriotism. Sardoc, Mitja Springer.
- Sutherland, Claire (2017). Nationalism and Ethnicity in Southeast Asia. In Contemporary Southeast Asia. Beeson, Mark & Ba, Alice PalgraveMacmillan.
- Sutherland, Claire (2014). Borders of Belonging: The UK Border Agency Museum as a Nation-Building Site. In Challenging History in the Museum. Kidd, J., Cairns, S., Drago, A. Ryall, A. & Stearn, M. Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate. 175-186.
- Sutherland, Claire (2014). Vietnamese Diasporic Citizenship. In Routledge Handbook of Global Citizenship Studies. Isin, E. & Nyers, P. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. 522-531.
- Sutherland, Claire (2009). Europe and Post-Cold War Nationalism. In A Companion to Europe since 1945. Larres, Klaus Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell. 387-406
- Sutherland, Claire (2007). Digesting Diasporas: Vietnamese Migrants and German Multiculturalism. In Rethinking Diasporas: hidden narratives and imagined borders. Ní Éigeartaigh, A.,, Howard, K., & Getty, D. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 39-51.
- Sutherland, Claire (2006). Conceptual Combat: Twentieth Century Vietnamese Nationalism. In Nationalisms across the Globe. Burszta, W. et al Poznan: School of Humanities and Journalism. 125-145.
- Sutherland, Claire & Barabantseva, Elena (2011). Diaspora and Citizenship. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- Sutherland, Claire (2016). A post-modern mandala? Moving beyond methodological nationalism. HumaNetten 37: 88-106.
- Sutherland, Claire (2016). Inviting Essential Outsiders in: Imagining a Cosmopolitan Nation. European Review of History / Revue européenne d'histoire 23(5-6): 880-896.
- Roszko, Edyta & Sutherland, Claire (2015). Introduction: Nationalism in Southeast Asia. Nations and Nationalism 21(2): 203-208.
- Sutherland, Claire (2014). Leaving and Longing: Migration Museums as Nation-Building Sites. Museum and Society 12(2): 118-131.
- Sutherland, Claire (2012). Introduction: Nation-building in China and Vietnam. East Asia: An International Quarterly 29(1): 1-13.
- Barabantseva, Elena & Sutherland, Claire (2011). Diaspora and Citizenship: Introduction. Journal of Nationalism and Ethnic Politics 17(1): 1-13, 1-13.
- Sutherland, Claire (2011). Introduction: German Politics and Society from a Cosmopolitan Perspective. German Politics and Society 29(3): 1-19.
- Sutherland, Claire (2009). Reconciling Nation and Region: Vietnamese Nation-Building and ASEAN Regionalism. Political Studies 57(2): 316-336.
- Sutherland, Claire (2006). ASEAN Discourse: The Rhetoric of Human Rights and Asian Values. Borderlands 5(2).
- Sutherland, Claire (2006). Calculated Conviction: Contemporary Nationalist Ideology and Strategy. Studies in Ethnicity and Nationality 6(1): 70-90.
- Sutherland, Claire (2005). Another nation-building bloc? Integrating nationalist ideology into the EU and ASEAN. Asia Europe Journal 3(2): 141-157.
- Sutherland, Claire (2005). Nation-building through Discourse theory. Nations and Nationalism 11(2): 185-202.
- Sutherland, Claire (2005). Repression and Resistance? French Colonialism as seen through Vietnamese Museums. Museum and Society 3(3): 153-166.
- Sutherland, Claire (2001). Nation, Heimat, Vaterland: the Reinvention of Concepts by the Bavarian CSU. German Politics 10(3): 13-36.
- Mr Thanachate Wisaijorn
- Ms Rudabeh Shahid
- Mr Ahmet Sacmali
- Mr Edward Walker
- Mr Abdul Azizam
- Ms Zarqa Parvez