Dr Colin Turner
(email at email@example.com)
Reader in Islamic Thought
BA (Hons.,First Class) in Oriental Studies (Arabic, Persian, Islamic Studies and anthropology), Durham University,1982.
PhD in Islamic Studies, Durham University, 1989.
Dr Turner was born in Birmingham but has lived in Durham since 1979. He joined Durham University in 1995.
- Political philosophy of the Muslim-majority world
- The history of Muslim political thought
- Contemporary Islamist movements
- Political Theology
- Anthropology of religion
- Islamic theology and philosophy
- Shi'ite History
- The works of Bediuzzaman Said Nursi
- Turner, Colin & Horkuc, Hasan (2009). Makers of Islamic Civilisation:Said Nursi. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Turner, Colin P. (2005). Islam: The Basics. Oxford: Routledge.
- Turner, Colin (2004). A Thematic Dictionary of Modern Persian. London: RoutledgeCurzon.
- Turner, Colin (2004). The Koran (Critical Concepts in Islamic Studies). London: RoutledgeCurzon.
- Turner C (2000). Islam Without Allah?: The Rise of Religious Externalism in Safavid Iran.
- Turner C (2000). The Muslim World.
- Turner C (1997). The Quran: A New Interpretation.
Chapter in book
- Turner, Colin, (2008). 'Aspects of devotional life in Twelver Shi'ism:the practice of du‘ā’'. In Shi'ism: Critical Concepts in Islamic Studies. Luft, Paul. & Turner, Colin, London: Routledge. 3: 375-408.
- Turner, Colin (2008). 'The Six-Sided Vision of Said Nursi: Toward a Spiritual Architecture of Risale-i-Nur'. In Spiritual Dimensions of Bediuzzaman Said Nursi's Risale-I-Nur. Abu-Rabi, Ibrahim New York: Suny Press. 23-52.
- Turner, Colin. (2008). 'The Six-Sided Vision of Said Nursi: Toward a Spiritual Architecture of the Risale-i-Nur'. In Spiritual Dimensions of Bediuzzaman Said Nursi's Risale-i-Nur. Rabi, Ibrahim Abu Suny.
- Turner, Colin (2010). 'Bediuzzaman and the Concept of ʿAdl: Towards a Nursian Ontology of Divine Justice'. Asian Journal of Social Science 38(4): 554-582.
- Turner, Colin (2007). 'Reconsidering Jihad: the perspective of Bediuzzamen Said Nursi'. Nova Religio 11(2): 94-111.
- Turner, Colin P. (2006). 'The 'Tradition of Mufaddal' and the doctrine of The Raj'a: Evidence of GHULUWW in the eschatology of twelver Shi'ism?. Iran 44: 175-195.
- Turner, Colin (2006). 'Wealth as an immortality symbol in the Qur'an: a reconsideration of the mal amwal verses'. Journal of Qur'anic Studies 8(2): 58-83.
- Turner, Colin (2006). The “Tradition of Mufaddal” and the doctrine of the Raj'a: evidence of Ghuluww in the eschatology of Twelver Shi'ism?. Iran 44: 175-195.
- Turner C (1995). 'Still Waiting for the Imam? The Unresolved question of Intizar in Twelver Shi'ism'. Persica XV: 29-47.