Mr Mamtimyn Sunuodula, Area Studies Librarian
I provide library resources and research skills support for the students and the staff in the School of Government and International Affairs (Politics, Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies), the School of Modern Languages and Cultures (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hispanic, Italian, Russian) and the English Language Centre. I am also responsible for coordinating the University Library's support for internationalisation.
I specialise in the languages, information resources and bibliography of Asia and the Middle East. I am fluent in Chinese, Central Asian Turkic languages (Uyghur, Uzbek, Kazak) and read Arabic, Japanese, Russian and Turkish.
I worked for the British Library's Oriental and India Office Collections (1994-1996) and BBC World Service before joining Durham University.
- Ethnic and Linguistic Minorities in China
- Identity and Second Language (L2) Learning
- Language Education and Language Policy in China
- Chinese Language and Culture (30 hours/year.)
- Postgraduate Research Skills (20 hours/year.)
- Undergraduate Information Skills (20 hours/year.)
Indicators of Esteem
- 2013: Distinguished Scholars' Lecture Series: I have delivered "Yanbian University Distinguished Scholars' Lectures" at Yanbian University, Jilin Province, China, from 18 March to 22 March, 2013.
- Member of the Editorial Board, Durham MIddle East Papers series:
- Peer-Reviewer for leading international journals:
- Asia Pacific Education Review
- Diaspora, Indigenous and Minority Education
- East Asia: an International Quarterly
- International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism
- Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development
- Springer Multilingual Education Series
- Secretary, Centre for Contemporary Chinese Studies:
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2014). Language Learning and Empowerment: English Language in Education for Linguistic Minorities in Urban Xinjiang. In Language, Education and Uyghur Identity in Urban Xinjiang. Zang, Xiaowei & Smith Finley, J. London: Routledge.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn & Cao, Yu. (2014). Language Learning and Empowerment: Languages in Education for Uyghurs in Xinjiang. In Trilingualism in Education in China: models and challenges. Feng, Anwei & Adamson, Bob. Springer. 65-102.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn, Feng, Anwei & Adamson, Bob (2014). Trilingualism and Uyghur Identity in the People's Republic of China. In Language and Identity: Discourse in the World. Evans, David Bloomsbury Academic. 81-104.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2011). An Uyghur linguist at an English university: intercultural encounters. In Chinese Learning Journeys: Chasing the Dream. Feng, Su Stoke-on-Trent: Trentham Books. 69-87.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn & Feng, Anwei. (2011). Learning English as a Third Language by Uyghur Students in Xinjiang: A Blessing in Disguise?. In English Language Education across Greater China. Feng, Anwei. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters. 260-283.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2009). Selection of Central and Inner Asian art. In 10,000 years of art. London: Phaidon.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2007). Selection of Central and Inner Asian art. In 30,000 Years of Art: the Story of Human Activity across Time and Space. London: Phaidon. 364, 400, 427, 498, 511, 515, 626.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2014), Multilingualism and negotiating Uyghur identity, British Association for Chinese Studies Annual Conference. Newcastle University, Newcastle, UK, BACS.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2013), Effective Trilingual Learning by Minority Students in Xinjiang, The Fourth International Conference on Trilingual Education in Minority Regions in China. Chengdu, China.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2011), Dynamics of Languages in Education for Linguistic Minorities in Urban Xinjiang, Dynamics of China's Borderlands: 18th – 21st centuries. EHESS, 190-198 Ave de France, 75013 Paris, France.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2010), Foreign Language Education for the Uyghurs -- opportunity or Challenge?, London School of Economics and Political Science, London (6 July 2010).
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2010), Globalisation, language learning and empowerment: languages in education for the linguistic minorities in China, Languages in Education: the Chinese Context. Hong Kong Institute of Education, Hong Kong, China.
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2009), Foreign Language Education for the Linguistic Minorities in China, Trilingualism and trilingual education in minority regions in China: Comparative multiple-case studies in minority autonomous regions. Hong Kong Institute of Education, Hong Kong (17-18 December 2009)
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn. (2003), Chinese Studies Library Collections in the Digital Age, Regional governance Greater China in the 21st century. Durham, UK.
Journal papers: academic
- Feng, A.W. & Sunuodula, Mamtimyn (2009). Analysing language education policy for China's minority groups in its entirety. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism 12(6): 685-704
- Sunuodula, Mamtimyn. (2005). 数字时代的中国研究图书馆资源 = Chinese Studies Research Libraries in the Digital Age. 国外社会科学 = Social Sciences Abroad 2005(4): 66-69.
- Ji, Shenying., Anar., Sunuodula, Mamtimyn. & Ouyang, Zhi. (1996). 新疆5－16岁维族儿童智力发展水平与对策研究 = 5-16 year old Uyghur children's IQ development level in Xinjiang and policy recommendations. 西北民族研究 = Northwest Minorities Research 1996(1): 97-108.
- Ji, Shenying., Ouyang, Zhi., Anar. & Sunuodula, Mamtimyn. (1995). 新疆七族儿童智力发展水平研究 = Research into IQ development of children from seven ethnic groups in Xinjiang. 民族教育研究 = Research in Ethnic Minority Education 1995(1): 12-19.
- Senior, Karen., Bent, Moira., Scopes, Marie. & Sunuodula, Mamtimyn. (2008). Library services for international students. SCONUL.
- 2011: UCCL Visiting Fellowship Grant
- 2010: UCCL Conference Grant
- 2006: Centre for Contemporary Chinese Studies Research Grant
- 2005: Asia-Link Project Exchange Programme
- 2004: Universities China Committee in London
- 2003: British Council Research Grant (Electonic Publishing in China)
- 2002: Universities China Committee in London