Publication details for Dr Srinjoy BoseBose, Srinjoy (2015). An Election Observer’s View & Appraisal of the 2014 Afghan Elections. Journal of Eastern European and Central Asian Research 2(1).
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 2328-8272 (print), 2328-8280 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.15549/jeecar.v2i1.80
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
In April and June 2014, Afghanistan conducted its first democratic transition of power. This commentary provides a first-hand account and appraisal of the conduct of the elections, and begins by capturing first the atmospherics of polling day, and then reviews some lasting impressions of the same. After identifying some of the common themes and strands that characterised the polling—including, polling procedures, individual and/or team performances of election officials, logistical shortcomings, and the security measures put in place, etc.—the commentary concludes by advocating for the continued improvement (best practices) of the electoral enterprise.