Brig (Retd.) Dr Iftikhar Zaidi, afwc, psc, (l)qsl, BSc (Peshawar), BSc Hons and MSc(BU), MSc (Cranfield), MSc (NDU), PhD (Cranfield)
(email at email@example.com)
Dr Zaidi has worked on the paradoxes in contemporary COIN strategies with a view to explaining why development initiatives and dialogues fail. This was a inte-disciplinary research with a particular focus Pakistan-Afghanistan. The outcomes are in the process of publication. The project potentially provides vital strategic and policy input for defence, development and diplomacy and a fresh look at winning 'hearts and minds' in military occupations. A particular feature of this research is that it approaches rehabilitation, reintegration, reconciliation and development initiatives from the lens of tribal societies as opposed to external frameworks, security exigencies or power centric prisms.
His ongoing work looks at rethinking and redefining organising regimes for defence and security from a corporate style structural approaches to a systems and process approach which he argues is critical to correctly address the changing character of war, the nature of contemporary conflicts and the wider utility of military forces such as civil assistance, in-conflict development and military diplomacy.
- War Studies, Defence and Security.
- Terrorism and Counter Insurgency.
- Human Security and Disaster Management.
- Post conflict development with particular focus on participative and cross-government approaches for 'In-conflict' development.
- Strategic Studies, Military and Operational Art.
- Classical and Contemporary Strategic Thought with emphasis on Sun Tzu, Clausewitz and Jomini.
- National Security Strategies with emphasis on Military and Nuclear Strategy.
- Military Methodology and Decision Making Process.
- Leadership Studies, Command and Combat Leadership.
- Zaidi, M I (2010). Guidebook for Doctrine Development. Army Press.
- Zaidi, M. I. (2007). Research Methodology. NDU Press, Islamabad.
- Zaidi, M. I. & Feyyaz, M. (2010). Military Methodology. NDU Basic Books. NDU Press, Islamabad.
- Zaidi, M.I., Ramday, J. I. & Durrani, U. F. (2009). Operational Art. NDU Press, Islamabad.
Other publications: research
- Zaidi, M. I. & Hanif, K. (2011). Pakistan Army Doctrine. Rawalpindi: Army Press.