Taught Postgraduate Entry Requirements
Taught MA and MSc
- You will normally need to have a good UK honours degree (upper second or first) or its equivalent, in an appropriate subject from a recognised university.
- International students should see our country pages for equivalency information. If you do not see your country listed or have further questions, please contact the International Office.
- You must provide two references, at least one of which must be an academic reference. The references should be on letterhead, signed and dated; they may then be uploaded to the online application system. Alternatively your referee may email firstname.lastname@example.org directly from their institutional email address indicating the programme for which you've applied. It is the applicant's responsibility to request references from their referees.
- You should provide certificates and transcripts of Bachelors and/or Masters degrees. Any documents not in English should be accompanied by a certified translation.
English Language Requirements
If your first language is not English, you will be required to show evidence of proficiency in written and spoken English. The University guidelines are available from Section 1.3 of the Learning and Teaching Handbook
For 2018 entry we require one of:
- IELTS: 7.0 with no component under 6.5
- TOEFL iBT: 102 with no component under 25
- Cambridge Proficiency (CPE): A, B or C
- Cambridge Advanced (CAE): A
- Pearson Academic (PTE): 70 with no component under 62
If it has been more than two years since an English Language proficiency test has been completed then another test must be undertaken. Students taking the Durham University English Language Centre pre-sessional course will be required to achieve a grade of B or above.
Applications should be made via the online postgraduate application system. There are no application fees for postgraduate programmes at the School of Government and International Affairs. There is no deadline for applications but we do encourage applicants to apply as early as possible.
For further information contact: email@example.com
Postgraduate Prospectus 2018
Interested in postgraduate study? Click to register and download our 2018 prospectus.