Professor APS Hungin, OBE DL MD FRCGP FRCP FRSA
Professor Pali Hungin is the outgoing Dean of Medicine. A medical doctor, he is also Professor of Primary Care and General Practice and the Director of the Centre for Integrated Healthcare Research within the School.
Professor Hungin has experience of clinical practice and research in primary and secondary care, particularly in family medicine, gastroenterology and cardiovascular disease. His research interests include epidemiology, the earlier detection of disease and the evidence-based management of long-term disorders, including therapeutics.
His publications cover the use of early disease markers, investigative services, the prevalence and patterns of gastrointestinal disorders and the barriers to the implementing effective care. His MD thesis was on endoscopy for upper gastrointestinal problems. He has made key contributions to our awareness of the prevalences of inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome internationally, the management of reflux disease and, specifically, the role of Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease.
Professor Hungin’s research team has experience in qualitative and quantitative methodologies, bringing interdisciplinary perspectives and skills to health problems against a backdrop of socioeconomic inequalities and deprivation. The team’s recent efforts have concentrated on cardiovascular problems, including the early detection and effective management of heart failure in elderly care settings.
Having graduated in medicine from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Professor Hungin undertook vocational training in general practice NE England. He was based at the Eaglescliffe Medical Practice in Stockton on Tees for over 20 years and remains in active clinical practice. He completed his MD in 1995 and also worked for 10 years as a hospital practitioner in gastrointestinal endoscopy at the James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough. He was appointed Professor at Durham University in 1996 and became Dean of Medicine in 2003.
Professor Hungin is a founding member of the UK and European Primary Care Societies for Gastroenterology and was the founding Chair of the Northern Primary Care Research Network, a forerunner of the research networking movement in the UK. He was Chair of the NHS R&D forum (England), is presently a member of the Independent Scientific Advisory Committee (ISAC) of the Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (MHRA), and external adviser to the Italian Medicines Agency (AIFA). He also serves as Vice Chair of the University’s Ethics Advisory Committee and is a postgraduate external examiner to several European and Asian universities.
Pali has a long association with the Royal College of General Practitioners, having held a research fellowship and has served on the College’s research group and is currently on the academic advisory board.
Professor Hungin’s contributions have been recognised through several national and international awards. He has published over 100 papers in the peer-reviewed press and has edited or contributed to 11 monographs and books.
Pali’s personal interests include music and reading and he sails and participates in motor sport.
- Quigley, E., Bergmann, J.F. Fried, M. & Hungin, A.P.S. et al. (2006). An evidence based approach to the management of IBS with constipation in the European Union. In World Gastroenterology Organisation.
- Hungin, A.P.S. (2003). Haematemesis and Malaena. In The Oxford Textbook of Primary Medical Care. Jones, R., Britten, N., Culpepper, L., Gass, D., Mant, D., Grol, R. & Silagy, C. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 751-754.
- Hungin, A.P.S. (2003). The Therapeutic Illusion. Self-Limiting Illness. In The Oxford Textbook of Primary Medical Care. Jones, R., Britten, N., Culpepper, L., Gass, D., Mant, D., Grol, R. & Silagy, C. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 210-213.
- Hungin, A.P.S. (2001). Acute Diarrhoea in children. In RSM: Quality indicators for General Practice: a practical guide to clinical quality indicators. London: RSM.
- Carter, Y., Elwyn, G. & Hungin, A.P.S. (2001). General Practitioner Research at the Millennium. A Perspective from the RCGP. In London: RCGP.
- Hungin, P. (2000). Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. In Gastroenterology in Primary Care. An Evidence-Based Guide to Management. Hungin, P. & Rubin, G. Oxford.: Blackwell. 9-22.
- Hungin, A.P.S. (1999). Research Networks. In Research Opportunities in Primary Care. Carter, Y. & Thomas, C. Oxford: Radcliffe Press. 13-28.
- Hungin, A.P.S. & Russell, A. (1995). Research Networks in Primary Care in the UK. A National Report. In Durham: Northern Primary Care Research Network.
- Hungin, A.P.S. & Bramble, M.G. (1993). Investigating the gastrointestinal tract. In Gastrointestinal problems in general practice. Jones, R. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Cox, J, Hancock, H, Spratt, J, Close, H, Lee, CM, Mohammed, U & Mason, J (2014), 03 November 2014, Multidetector CT Improving Surgical Outcomes in Breast Cancer (MISO BC) British Society of Breast Radiology Annual Scientific Meeting 2014. Brighton, England, BioMed Central.
- Howse, JH., Jones, S. & Hungin, APS. (2010), Acceptability of random capillary blood glucose tests in high street opticians practices, 1: Diabetes UK Annual Professional conference 2010. Diabetic Medicine, 490.
- Howse, JH., Jones, S. & Hungin, APS. (2010), Prevalence of elevated random capillary blood glucose in “at risk” people attending high street opticians, 1: Diabetes UK Annual Professional conference 2010. Diabetic Medicine, 489
- Mason JM., Raghunath A., Hungin APS. & Jackson W. (2008), Economic analysis of the HELPUP trial: H.pylori eradication in long-term proton pump inhibitor users is highly cost effective, UEGW: 16th United European Gastroenterology Week. Vienna.
Journal papers: academic
- Rajasekhar, PT, Rees, C J Bramble, M G, Wilson, D W, Rutter, M D Saunders, B P Hungin, A P & East, J E (2015). A multicenter pragmatic study of an evidence-based intervention to improve adenoma detection: the Quality Improvement in Colonoscopy (QIC) study. Endoscopy 47(03): 217.
- Hungin, A. P. S., Becher, A., Cayley, B., Heidelbaugh, J. J., Muris, J. W., Rubin, G., Seifert, B., Russell, A. & De Wit, N. J. (2015). Irritable bowel syndrome: an integrated explanatory model for clinical practice. Neurogastroenterology & Motility n/a.
- Hancock, H.C., Close, H., Fuat, A., Murphy, J.J., Hungin, A.P.S. & Mason, J.M. (2014). Barriers to accurate diagnosis and effective management of heart failure have not changed in the past 10 years: a qualitative study and national survey. BMJ Open 4(3): e003866.
- Sperber, AD, Gwee, KA, Hungin, AP, Corazziari, E, Fukodo, S Gerson, C, Ghosal, UC, Kang, JY, Levy, RL, Schmulson, M, Dumitrascu, D, Gerson, MJ, Chen, M, Myung, SJ, Quigley, EM, Whorwell, PJ, Zarzar, K & Whitehead, WE (2014). Conducting multinational, cross-cultural research in the functional gastrointestinal disorders: issues and recommendations. A Rome Foundation working team report. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 40(9): 1094-102.
- Hunt, R, Quigley, E, Abbas, Z, Emmanuel, A, Goh, KL, Guarner, F, Katelaris, P, Smout, A, Umar, M, Whorwell, P, Johanson, J, Saenz, R, Besancon, L, Ndjeuda, E, Horn, J, Hungin, P, Jones, R, Krabshuis, J & LeMair, A (2014). Coping with common gastrointestinal symptoms in the community: a global perspective on heartburn, constipation, bloating, and abdominal pain/discomfort May 2013. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology 48(7): 567-78.
- Rajasekhar, P, Rees, C, Rutter, M & Hungin, P (2014). Developing a clinical research network: the Northern Region Endoscopy Group experience. Clinical Medicine 14(2): 107-112.
- Hungin, A P, Molloy-Bland, M Claes, R, Heidelbaugh, J Cayley Jr, WE, Muris, J, Seifert, B Rubin, G & de Wit, N (2014). Systematic review: the perceptions, diagnosis and management of irritable bowel syndrome in primary care--a Rome Foundation working team report. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 40(10): 1133-45.
- Close, H., Hancock, H., Mason, J. M., Murphy, J. J., Fuat, A., de Belder, M. & Hungin, A. P. S. (2013). “It’s Somebody else’s responsibility” - perceptions of general practitioners, heart failure nurses, care home staff, and residents towards heart failure diagnosis and management for older people in long-term care: a qualitative interview study. BMC Geriatrics 13(69).
- Alshryda, S, Mason, J Vaghela, M, Sarda, P Nargol, A, Maheswaran, S Tulloch, C Anand, S, Logishetty, R Stothart, B & Hungin, A P (2013). Topical (intra-articular) tranexamic acid reduces blood loss and transfusion rates following total hip replacement: a randomized controlled trial (TRANX-H). The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (American) 95(21): 1969.
- Alshryda, S., Mason, J., Vaghela, M., Sarda, P., Nargol, A., Maheswaran, A., Tulloch, C., Logishetty, R., Stothart, B. & Hungin, A. (2013). Topical (intra-articular) tranexamic acid reduces blood loss and transfusion rates following total knee replacement: a randomised controlled trial. The Journal of Joint and Bone Surgery 95(21): 1961-1968.
- Mason, James, Hancock, Helen, Close, Helen, Murphy, Jerry, Fuat, Ahmet, de Belder, Mark, Singh, Raj, Teggert, Andrew, Wood, Esther, Brennan, Gill, Hussain, Nehal, Kumar, Nitin, Manshani, Novin, Hodges, David, Wilson, Douglas & Hungin, Pali (2013). Utility of Biomarkers in the Differential Diagnosis of Heart Failure in Older People: Findings from the Heart Failure In Care Homes (HFinCH) Diagnostic Accuracy Study. PLOS ONE 8(1): e53560.
- Quigley, E. M., Abdel-Hamid, H., Barbara, G. Bhatia, S.J., Boeckxstaens, G., De Giorgio, R., Delvaux, M., Drossman, D.A., Foxx-Orenstein, A.E., Guarner, F., Gwee, K.A., Harris, L.A., Hungin, A.P., Hunt, Richard H., Kellow, J.E., Khalif, I.L., Kruis, W., Lindberg, G., Olano, C., Moraes-Filho, J.P., Schiller, L.R., Schmulson, M., Simrén, M. & Tzeuton, C. (2012). A global perspective on irritable bowel syndrome: a consensus statement of the world gastroenterology organisation summit task force on irritable bowel syndrome. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology 46(5): 356-366.
- Rajasekhar, P., Rutter, M., Bramble, M., Wilson, D., East, J., Greenaway, J., Saunders, B., Lee, T., Barton, R., Hungin, A. & Rees, C. (2012). Achieving high quality colonoscopy: Using graphical representation to measure performance and reset standards. Colorectal Disease
- Hancock, HC, Close, H, Mason, JM, Murphy, JJ, Fuat, A, de Belder, M, Hunt, T, Baker, A, Wilson, D & Hungin, A Pali S (2012). Feasibility of evidence-based diagnosis and management of heart failure in older people in care: a pilot randomised controlled trial. BMC Geriatrics (12): 70.
- Hancock, H. C., Close, H., Mason, J. M., Murphy, J. J., Fuat, A., Singh, R., Wood, E., de Belder, M., Brennan, G, Nussain, N, Kumar, N, Wilson, DW & Hungin, APS (2012). High prevalence of undetected heart failure in long-term care residents: findings from the Heart Failure in Care Homes (HFinCH) study. European Journal of Heart Failure Advance Access 15(2): 158-165.
- Close, H., Mason, J. M., Wilson, D. W. & Hungin, A. P. S. (2012). Hormone replacement therapy is associated with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: a retrospective cohort study. BMC Gastroenterology 12: 56.
- Rajasekhar, P.T., Rees, C.J., Rutter, M.D., Saunders, B.P., Bramble, M.G., Hungin, P. & East, J.E. (2012). Improving the quality of colonoscopy. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 75(1): 229-230.
- Malfertheiner, P., Megraud, F., O'Morain, CA., Atherton, J., Axon, AT., Bazzoli, F., Gensini, GF., Gisbert, JP., Graham, DY., Rokkas, T., El-Omar, EM., Kuipers, EJ. & European Helicobacter Study Group. (2012). Management of Helicobacter pylori infection-the Maastricht IV/Florence Consensus Report. Gut 61(5): 646-664.
- Alam, S E, Singh, R B, Gupta, S, Dherange, P, De Meester, F, Wilczynska, A, Dharwadker, S, Wilson, D & Hungin, P (2012). Nutritional aspects of epigenetic inheritance. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 90(8): 989-994.
- Hungin,A.P., Hill,C., Molloy-Bland,M. & Raghunath,A. (2012). Systematic review: patterns of proton pump inhibitor use and adherence in gastroesophageal reflux disease. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 10(2): 109-116.
- Wilson, DW, Halberg, F, Cornelissen, G, Watanab, Y & Hungin, APS (2011). Cusum-Assessed Personalized Hypotensive Treatment Surveillance. World Heart Journal 3(3): 241-246.
- Hungin, AP (2011). Otilonium bromide - challenges of putting trial data into practice. Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 34(8): 1030.
- Howse, JH., Jones, S. & Hungin, APS. (2011). Screening and identifying diabetes in optometric practice: a prospective study. British Journal of General Practice 61(588): e436-e442.
- Howse, JH., Jones, S. & Hungin, APS (2011). Screening for diabetes in optometry practices: acceptability to users. Ophthalmic and physiological optics 31(4): 367-374.
- Howse, JH., Jones, S. & Hungin, APS. (2011). Screening for diabetes in unconventional locations: resource implications and economics of screening in optometry practices. Health policy 102(2-3): 193-199.
- Ruigómez, A, Hungin, AP, Lundborg, P, Johansson, S, Wallander, MA & Garcia Rodríguez, LA (2011). Treatment patterns in paediatric patients with a new diagnosis of gastroesophageal reflux disease. European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology 23(3): 232-237.
- Howse, JH., Jones, S. & Hungin, APS. (2010). Screening and diagnosing diabetes in optometrists’ practices: an evaluation of perceptions, attitudes and beliefs. Practical Diabetes International 27(2): 55-58.
- Hungin, A.P. & Close, H. (2010). Sleep disturbances and health problems: sleep matters. Br J Gen Pract 60(574): 319-320.
- Howse JH., Jones S. & Hungin APS. (2009). An evaluation of optometrists’ perceptions, attitudes and beliefs towards screening and diagnosing diabetes. Diabetic Medicine 26(S1): 534.
- Wilson, D.W., Griffiths, K., Hungin, APS. , Simpson, HW., Cornélissen, G. & F. Halberg (2009). Chronobiological perspectives in endocrine cancer and related diseases. International Journal of Gerontology-Chronomegeriatrics
- Modlin, IM., Hunt, RH., Malfertheiner, P., Moayyedi, P., Quigley, EM., Tytgat, GN., Tack, J., Heading, RC., Holtman, G. & Moss, SF. (2009). Diagnosis and management of non-erosive reflux disease - the Vevey NERD Consensus Group. Digestion 80(2): 74-88.
- Casiday, Rachel E., Hungin, A.P.S., Cornford, Charles S., deWit, Niek J. & Blell, Mwenza T. (2009). GPs' explanatory models for irritable bowel syndrome: a mismatch with patient models?. Family Practice 26(1): 34-39.
- Quigley, Eamonn., Fried, Michael., Gwee, K.A., Olano, C., Guarner, F., Khalif, I., Hungin, P., Lindberg, G., Abbas, Z., Bustos Fernandez, L., Mearin, F., Bhatia, S.J., Hu, P.J., Schmulson, M., Krabshuis, J.H. & Le Mair, A.W. (2009). Irritable bowel syndrome: a global perspective. World Gastroenterology News 14(1): 32-34.
- Casiday, Rachel E., Hungin, A.P.S., Cornford, Charles S., de Wit, Niek J. & Blell, Mwenza T. (2009). Patients' explanatory models for irritable bowel syndrome: symptoms and treatment more important than explaining aetiology. Family Practice 26(1): 40-47.
- Raghunath, A.S., Hungin, A.P., Mason, J. & Jackson, W. (2009). Symptoms in patients on long-term proton pump inhibitors: prevalance and predictors. Alimentary pharmacology & therapeutics 29(4): 431-439.
- Hungin, A.P., Hill, C. & Raghunath, A. (2009). Systematic review: frequency and reasons for consultation for gastro-oesophageal reflux disease and dyspepsia. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 30(4): 331-342.
- McDougall, P., Drewett, R.F., Hungin, P. & Wright, C.M. (2009). The detection of early weight faltering at the 6-8 week check and its association with family factors, feeding and behavioural development. Archives of Disease in Childhood 94(7): 549-552.
- Mason, J.M., Raghunath, A.S., Hungin, A.P. & Jackson, W. (2008). Helicobacter pylori eradication in long-term proton pump inhibitor users is highly cost-effective: economic analysis of the HELPUP trial. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 28(11-12): 1297-1303.
- Hungin, A. Pali S. & Modlin, Irvin. (2008). NERD: a new approach in managing reflux symptoms. Family Practice 25(6): 397-399.
- Tytgat, G.N., McColl, K., Tack, J., Holtmann, G., Hunt, R.H., Malfertheiner, P., Hungin, P. & Batchelor, H.K. (2008). New algorithm for the treatment of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 27(3): 249-256.
- Seifert, B, Rubin, G, de Wit, N Lionis, C, Hall, N, Hungin P, Jones, R, Palka, M & Mendive, J (2008). The management of common gastrointestinal disorders in general practice: A survey by the European Society for Primary Care Gastroenterology (ESPCG) in six European countries. Digestive and Liver Disease 40(8): 659-666.
- Hungin, A.P. (2007). Functional disorders: a cause of increasing work absence?. Occupational Medicine 57(1): 2-3.
- Spiller, R., Aziz, Q., Creed, F., Emmanuel, A., Houghton, L., Hungin, A.P., Jones, R., Kumar, D., Rubin, G., Trudgill, N. & Whorwell, P. (2007). Guidelines for the management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Gut 56(12): 1770-1798.
- Raghunath, A.S., Hungin, A.P.S., Mason, J.M. & Jackson, W. (2007). Helicobacter pylori Eradication in long-term Proton pump inhibitor Users in Primary care (HELPUP): a randomized controlled trial. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 25(5): 585-592.
- Hall, N.J., Rubin, G., Hungin, A.P.S. & Dougall, A. (2007). Medication beliefs among patients with inflammatory bowel disease who report low quality of life: a qualitative study. BMC Gastroenterology 7: 20.
- Evans, H.M. & Hungin, A.P. (2007). Uncomfortable implications: placebo equivalence in drug management of a functional illness. Journal of Medical Ethics 33(11): 635-638.
- Hungin, A.P. & Seifert, B. (2007). Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy or not, and in whom?. European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology 19(7): 527-528.
- Hungin, A.P.S. & Heading, R.C. (2006). Introduction to Special Issue: Bile and Pepsin - their role in GERD. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 24(S2): 1-1.
- Jeavons, D, Hungin, APS & Cornford, CS (2006). Patients with poorly controlled diabetes in primary care: health care clinicians’ beliefs and attitudes. Postgraduate Medical Journal 82(967): 347-350.
- Hungin, A.P.S. (2006). Self-help interventions in irritable bowel syndrome. Gut 55(5): 603-604.
- Rubin, G., De Wit, N., Meineche-Schmidt, V., Seifert, B., Hall, N. & Hungin, A.P. (2006). The diagnosis of IBS in primary care: consensus development using nominal group technique. Family Practice 23(6): 687-692.
- Fuat, A., Hungin, A., Murphy, J.J., Curry, J., Mehrzad, A.A., Hetherington, A., Johnston, J.I., Smellie, W.S., Duffy, V. & Cawlwy, P. (2006). The diagnostic accuracy and utility of a B-natriuretic peptide test in a community population of patients with suspected heart failure. British Journal of General Practice 56(526): 327-333.
- Hungin, APS, Raghunath, AS & Wiklund, I (2005). Beyond heartburn: a systematic review of the extra-oesophageal spectrum of reflux-induced disease. Family Practice 22(6): 591-603.
- Hungin, A.P.S., McColl, K., O'Morain, C. & Heading, R.C. (2005). Introduction to issue: Practical approaches to the management of GERD. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 22(S1): 1-1.
- Hungin, A.P.S., Chang, L., Locke, G.R., Dennis, E.H. & Barghout, V. (2005). Irritable bowel syndrome in the United States: prevalence, symptom patterns and impact. Alimentary Pharmacology Therapeutics 21(11): 1365-1375.
- Liker, H., Hungin, A.P.S. & Wiklund, I. (2005). Managing gastroesophageal reflux disease in primary care: the patient perspective. The American Board of Family Practice 18(5): 393-400.
- Quigley,E.M. & Hungin,A.P.S. (2005). Quality of life issues in gastroesophageal reflux disease. Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 75(1): 229-230.
- Mason, J.M. & Hungin, A.P.S. (2005). Review article: gastro-oesophageal reflux disease - the health economic implications. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 22(Suppl 1): 20-31.
- Quigley, E.M. & Hungin, A.P.S. (2005). Review article: quality-of-life issues in gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 22(Suppl 1): 41-47.
- Fuat, A., Hungin, A.P.S. & Murphy, J.J. (2005). The diagnosis and management of heart failure across primary-secondary care: a qualitative study. British Journal of Cardiology 12(3): 233-238.
- Hall, N.J., Rubin, G.P., Dougall, A., Hungin, A.P.S. & Neely, J. (2005). The fight for 'health-related normality': a qualitative study of the experiences of individuals living with established inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Journal of Health Psychology 10(3): 443-455.
- Raghunath, AS, Hungin, AP, Cornford, CS & Featherstone, V (2005). Use of proton pump inhibitors: an exploration of the attitudes, knowledge and perceptions of general practitioners. Digestion 72(4): 212-218.
- Raghunath, A.S. , Hungin, A.P.S. & Jackson, W. (2004). Effect of H pylori on quality of life in patients on long term proton pump inhibitor therapy in primary care. Gut 53: A78.
- Panter, S.J., O'Flanagan, H., Bramble, M.G. & Hungin, A.P.S. (2004). Empirical use of antisecretory drug therapy delays diagnosis of upper gastrointestinal adenocarcinoma but does not effect outcome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 19(9): 981-988.
- Raghunath, A.S. & Hungin, A.P.S. (2004). Long term prescribing of proton pump inhibitors in primary care - a cross sectional survey. Gut 53(Supplement 3): A24.
- Hungin, A.P.S. & Raghunath, A.S. (2004). Managing gastro-oesophageal reflux disease in the older patient. Digestion 69(Supp 1): 17-24.
- Hungin, A.P.S. (2004). Night time heartburn prevalence and impact: a telephone survey. Gut 53(A22): 82.
- Hungin, A.P.S. & Seifert, B. (2004). Poor communication between clinicians - poor care for patients!. Digestive and Liver Disease 36(5): 309-310.
- Rubin, G.P., Hungin, A.P.S., Chinn, D.J. & Dwarakanath, D. (2004). Quality of life in patients with established inflammatory bowel disease: A UK general practice survey. Alimentary Pharmacology Therapeutics 19(5): 529-535.
- Raghunath, AS, Hungin, APS, Wooff, D & Childs, S (2004). Systematic review: the effect of Helicobacter pylori and its eradication on gastro-oesophageal reflux disease in patients with duodenal ulcers or reflux oesophagitis. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics 20(7): 733-744.
- Panter, S.J., Bramble, M.G., O'Flanagan, H. & Hungin, A.P.S. (2004). Urgent cancer referral guidelines: a retrospective cohort study of referrals for upper gastrointestinal adenocarcinoma. British Journal of General Practice 54(505): 611-613.
- Fuat, A., Hungin, A.P.S. & Murphy, J.J. (2003). Barriers to accurate diagnosis and effective management of heart failure in primary care: qualitative study. British Medical Journal 326(7382): 196-200.
- Fuat, A., Murphy, J.J. & Hungin, A.P.S. (2003). Designing heart failure services: a primary care perspective. European Journal of Heart Failure 2(Supplement 1): 163-164.
- Raghunath, A., Hungin, A.P.S., Wooff, D. & Childs, S. (2003). Prevalence of Helicobacter pylori in patients with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: systematic review. British Medical Journal 326(7392): 737-739.
- Rubin, G., Hungin, A.P.S., Chinn, D. & Dwarakanath, D. (2003). Quality of life in inflammatory bowel disease: cross-sectional survey of a community population. Gastroenterology 124(S1): A127.
- Van Pinxteren, B., Numans, M.E., Lau, J., De Wit, N.J., Hungin, A.P.S. & Bonis, P.A. (2003). Short-term treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease - A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effect of acid-suppressant drugs in empirical treatment and in endoscopy-negative patients. Journal of General Internal Medicine 18(9): 755-763.
- Hungin, A.P.S., Chinn, D.J., Convery, B., Dean, C., Cornford, C.S. & Russell, A. (2003). The prescribing and follow-up of domiciliary oxygen whose responsibility? A survey of prescribing from primary care. British Journal of General Practice 53(494): 714-715.
- Hungin, A.P.S., Whorwell, P.J., Tack, J. & Mearin, F. (2003). The prevalence, patterns and impact of irritable bowel syndrome: an international survey of 40,000 subjects. Alimentary Pharmacology Therapeutics 17(5): 643-650.
- Malfertheiner, P., Megraud, F., O'Morain, C., Hungin, A.P.S., Jones, R., Axon, A., Graham, D.Y. & Tytgat, G. (2002). Current concepts in the management of Helicobacter pylori infection - The Maastricht 2-2000 Consensus Report. Alimentary Pharmacology Therapeutics 16: 167-180.
- Hungin, A.P.S. (2002). Dyspepsia: gaps between primary and secondary care. Digestive and Liver Disease 34(4): 243-245.
- Freeman, G.K., Horder, J., Howie, J., Hungin, A.P.S., Hill, A.P., Shah, N.C. & Wilson, A. (2002). Evolving general practice consultation in Britain: issues of length and context. BMJ 324(7342): 880-882.
- Wylie, G., Hungin, A.P.S. & Neely, J. (2002). Impaired glucose tolerance: qualitative and quantitative study of general practitioners' knowledge and perceptions. British Medical Journal 324(7347): 1190.
- Rubin, G., Hungin, A.P.S., Chinn, D., Dwarakanath, A.D., Green, L. & Bates, J. (2002). Long-term aminosalicylate therapy is under-used in patients with ulcerative colitis: a cross-sectional survey. Alimentary Pharmacology Therapeutics 16(11): 1889-1893.
- Wright,P., English,P., Hungin,A.P.S. & Marsden,S. (2002). Managing acute renal colic across the primary-secondary care interface: a pathway of care based on evidence and consensus. British Medical Journal 325(7377): 1408-1412.
- Hungin, A.P.S., Tack, J., Whorwell, P. & Mearing, F. (2002). Prevalence of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) across Europe and its impact on patients' daily lives. The truth in IBS (T-IBS) survey. Gut 51 (Suppl. 3)(2).
- Neumans, M.E., Van Pinxteren, B., Bonis, P.A.L., De Wit, N.J., Hungin, A.P.S. & Lau, J. (2002). Short term empirical treatment of GORD and ENRD patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Gut 49(SIII).
- Hungin, A.P.S. & Rubin, G.P. (2001). Are primary care research networks up to the challenge?. Primary Health Care Research and Development 2(2): 67-68.
- Raghunath, A.S., Childs, S. & Hungin, A.P.S. (2001). Helicobacter pylori infection and the management of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease. A systematic review of the literature. Gut 48(Supplement 1): A25-A25.
- Fuat, A, Hungin, APS & Murphy, JJ (2001). Identifying barriers to evidence based practice in the diagnosis of heart failure in primary care. Heart 85(S1): 45.
- Jones, R., Rubin, G. & Hungin, A.P.S. (2001). Is the two week rule for cancer referrals working? BMJ 30(322): 1555-1556.
- Hungin, A.P.S. & Rubin, G. (2001). Management of dyspepsia across the primary-secondary healthcare interface. Dig Dis 19(3): 219-224.
- Hungin, A.P.S. & Kean, W. (2001). Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: Overused or underused in osteoarthritis?. American Journal of Medicine 110(1A): 8S-11S.
- Hungin, A.P.S., Tack, J., Whorewell, P. & Mearin, F. (2001). Prevalence and Impact of Irritable Bowel Syndrome on Patients' lives - an international study. Gut 49: 1489.
- Raghunath, A.S. & Hungin, A.P.S. (2001). Proton Pump Inhibitors: understanding the prescribing behaviour of general practitioners. Gut 49(Supplement 1): A35-A35.
- Neumans, M.E., van Pinxteren, B., Bonis, P.A.L., de Wit, N.J., Hungin, A.P.S. & Lau, J. (2001). Short term empirical treatment of GORD and ENRD patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Gut 49: 2002.
- Thompson, W.G., Hungin, A.P.S., Neri, M., Holtmann, G., Gofros, S., Delvaux, M. & Caballero, A. (2001). The management of the irritable bowel syndrome: a European, primary and secondary care collaboration. Eur J Gastroenterology Hepatol 13(8): 933-939.
- Hungin, A.P.S. (2001). Working together across international boundaries: improving the primary-secondary care network. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 13(2): S13-16.
- Bramble, M.G., Suvokovic, Z. & Hungin, A.P.S. (2000). Detection of upper gastrointestinal cancer in patients taking anti-secretory therapy prior to gastroscopy. GUT 46: 464-467.
- Jones, J., Boorman, J., Cann, P., Forbes, A., Gomborone, J., Heaton, K., Hungin, P., Kumar, D., Libby, G., Spiller, R., Read, N., Silk, D. & Whorwell, P. (2000). Guidelines for the management of the irritable bowel syndrome. GUT 47(Suppl II): ii1-ii19.
- Rubin, G.P., Hungin, A.P.S., Ling, J. & Kelly, P. (2000). Inflammatory Bowel Disease: epidemiology and management in an English general practice population. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 14: 1553-1559.
- Hungin, A.P., Rubin, G.P. & O'Flanagan, H. (1999). Co-prescription of potentially interacting H2 receptor blockers and proton pump inhibitors with warfarin in general practice. Postgrad Med J 75: 721-722.
- Tytgat, G., Hungin, A.P., Malfertheiner, P., Talley, N., Hongo, M., McColl, K., Soule, J.C., Agreus, L., Bianchi-Porro, G., Freston, J. & Hunt, R. (1999). Decision making in dyspepsia: controversies in primary and secondary care. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 11: 223-230.
- Bramble, M.G., Cann, P.A., Contractor, B.R. & Hungin, A.P.S. (1999). Diagnosis aided by H pylori testing in patients referred for open access gastroscopy is superior to clinical diagnosis alone. GUT 44(S1): T3.
- Hungin, A.P.S., Rubin, G.P. & O'Flanagan, H. (1999). Factors influencing compliance in long term proton pump inhibitor theory in general practice. Br J Gen Pract 49: 463-464.
- Hungin, APS, Rubin, GP & O'Flanagan, H (1999). Long term prescribing of proton pump inhibitors in general practice. British Journal of General Practice 49: 451-453.
- Rubin, G.P., Ling, J.M., Kelly, P., Bramble, M.G., Parkin, D. & Hungin, A.P.S. (1999). The impact of an open-access flexible sigmoidoscopy service on GPs' management of rectal bleeding. Endoscopy 31(S1): E65-66.
- Rubin, G.P. & Hungin, A.P.S. (1998). Guidelines for the management of H pylori in primary care. Digestion 59(S3): 3198.
- Kennedy, T.M., Jones, R.H., Hungin, A.P.S., O'Flanagan, H. & Kelly, P. (1998). Irritable Bowel Syndrome, gastro-oesophageal reflux and bronchial hyper-responsiveness in the general population. GUT 43: 770-774.
- Cheung, P., Hungin, A.P.S., Verril, J. & Russell, A. (1997). Are the Health of the Nation Targets attainable? BMJ 314: 1250-1251.
- Hungin, A.P.S., Rubin, G.P., Russell, A.J. & Convery, B. (1997). Guidelines for dyspepsia management in general practice using focus groups. Br J Gen Pract 47: 275-279.
- Hungin, A.P.S., Bramble, M. & Idle, N. (1997). Is it possible to diagnose dyspepsia accurately in general practice? GUT 40(S1): F238.
- Hungin, A.P.S. (1996). Current approaches to dyspepsia in general practice. In: Pereira Gray DP, Editor. RCGP Members Reference Book. London: RCGP. RCGP
- Rubin, G.P., Hungin, A.S., Kelly, P. & Ling, J. (1996). Epidemiological features of Inflammatory Bowel Disease in the North of England. Gastroenterology 110(4, Supplement): A1004-A1004.
- Lattimer, V., Smith, H., Hungin, P., Glasper, A. & George, S. (1996). Future provision of out of hours primary medical care: a survey with two general practitioner research networks. BMJ 312(7027): 352-356.
- Hungin, A.P.S. (1996). Research: a new opportunity in General Practice? Editorial. Asthma in General Practice 4: 10-11.
- Read, N.W., Bardhan, K.D., Whorwell, P.J., Hungin, A.S., Abitbol, J.L., Scherrer, B. & Fraitag, B. (1995). Fedotozine in Functional Dyspepsia: Results of a 6 week placebo-controlled multicenter therapeutic trial. Gastroenterology 108(4): A676.
- Abitbol, J.L., Read, N.W., Bardhan, K.D., Whorwell, P.J., Hungin, A.S., Scherrer, B. & Fraitag, B. (1995). Fedotozine in Functional Dyspepsia: Results of a six week placebo-controlled multicentre trial. GUT 37(Suppl 2 Pt 2): A161.
- Jones, R.H., Hungin, A.P.S., Phillips, J. & Mills, J.G. (1995). Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease in Europe. The European Journal of General Practice 1: 149-154.
- Hungin, A.P.S., Bramble, M.G. & O'Callaghan, H. (1995). Reasons for variations in the use of open access gastroscopy by general practitioners. Gut 36(2): 180-182.
- Hungin, A.P. (1994). Counting the cost of quality control in structured clinical care: a general practice study. (Ab( Family Practice 4: 492.
- Kennedy, T.M., Jones, R.G. & Hungin, A.P.S. (1994). Gastrointestinal and respiratory symptoms in the community: an epidemiological study. GUT 35(5): S62.
- O'Neill, J.P., Hungin, A.P.S. & Carr, D. (1994). Retinal photography in general practice: how worthwhile? Practical Diabetes 11: 78-80.
- Hungin, A.S. & Jones, K.P. (1994). Triumphs and tears in setting up a Research Network. Proceedings of the Association of University Teachers in General Practice, Annual Conference, London University
- Hungin, A.P.S., Thomas, P.R., Bramble, M.G., Corbett, W.A., Idle, N., Contractor, B.R., Berridge, D.C. & Cann, G. (1994). What happens to patients following open access gastroscopy? An outcome study from general practice. Br J Gen Pract 44: 519-521.
- Hungin, A.P.S., Gunn, S.D. & Bate, C.M. et al. (1993). A comparison of the efficacy of omeprazole 20mg daily with ranitidine once daily for symptomatic gastro-oesophageal reflux disease in General Practice. Br J Clin Res 4: 73-78.
- Murfin, D. & Hungin, A.S. (1993). Asian General Practitioners and the RCGP: leading article. BR J Gen Pract 43: 139-140.
- Bate, C.M., Hungin, A.P.S., Wilcock, C., Turbitt, M.L. & Richardson, P.D.I. (1993). Cost effective management of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease in general practice. The British Journal of Medical Economics 6: 81-90.
- Bramble, M.G., Cann, P.A. & Hungin, A.S. (1993). Open access gastroscopy. BMJ 306: 1750.
- Bramble, M.G., Cooke, W.M., Corbett, W.A., Cann, P.A., Clarke, D., Contractor, B. & Hungin, A.S. (1993). Organising unrestricted open access gastroscopy in South Tees. GUT 34: 422-427.
- Thomas, P.R., Bramble, M.G., Corbett, W.A., Berridge, D.C., Idle, N., Hungin, A.S. & Cann, G. (1992). Changes in treatment after open access gastroscopy as a measure of outcome. GUT 33: S14.
- Hungin, A.P.S. (1990). Costing the investigation of the upper bowel. Horizons 4: 439-441.
- Aylett, M. & Hungin, A.P.S. (1990). Medical Audit (letter). British Medical Journal 300(6722): 463.
- Hungin, A.S., Brill, M. & Wenley, M. (1989). A request for certification. The Practitioner 233(1477): 1347.
- Douglass, R.A. & Hungin, A.S. (1988). Discrepancies in the availability of open access services: comparison between the Northern and Oxford regions. Journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners 38(306): 28-29.
- Hungin, A.S. (1987). Use of an open-access gastroscopy service by a general practice: findings and subsequent specialist referral rate. Journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners 37(297 ): 170-171.
- Hungin, A.P.S. (1986). Medicine and the Media. British Medical Journal 293: 1561.
Indicators of Esteem
- 2013: PCSG Medal for contribution to Research in Gastroenterology:
- 2012: Fellowship Rome Foundation:
- 2008: Deputy Lieutenant: Co Durham
- 2007: 2007 Blackwell Publishing: Editor's Award for highest cited publication in Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 1997-2006
- 2003: FRSA: Royal Society of Arts
- 2000: OBE: for services to research
- 1997: The John Fry Research Medal: Royal College of General Practitioners
- 1996: The Jones Research Medal: Northern Research Network
- Medicine Phase 1