Professor Joseph Reilly, DM MRCPsych BmedSci DipMedSci Cert of Med Education
Joe is Head of the Mental Health Research Group and Clinical Director of R&D for Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust. After undergraduate medicine at Nottingham, he trained in adult psychiatry in London and Newcastle, and has worked as a consultant psychiatrist in the North East since 1997. His main research interest is personality disorder- the effectiveness of therapeutic interventions, and approaches to diagnosis and risk. He is currently co-investigator on two NIHR Health Technology Assessment funded randomised trials in personality disorder (PEPS and LABILE). He also collaborates with the Drug Safety Research Unit on observational studies of psychotropic drug adverse effects (currently co-investigator on two studies, OASIS and OBSERVA). He has a role in promoting greater participation by users and clinicians in mental health research studies as Deputy Lead for the North East Hub of the Mental Health Research Network. In his spare time he helps out with the Durham University Psychiatry Society.
Journal papers: academic
- Beckwith, H, Moran, PF & Reilly, JG (2014). Personality disorder prevalence in psychiatric outpatients: A systematic literature review. Personality and Mental Health
- Van Zyl, M., Wieczorek, G. & Reilly, J. G. (2013). Awareness of Venous Thromboembolism in Mental Health Services for Older People. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing
- Curtis, S.E., Gesler, W., Wood, V., Spencer, I., Close, H., Mason, J. & Reilly, J. (2013). Compassionate containment? Balancing technical safety and therapy in the design of psychiatric wards. Social Sciences and Medicine
- Wood, V J, Curtis, S E, Gesler, W, Spencer, I H, Close, H J, Mason, J & Reilly, J G (2013). Creating 'therapeutic landscapes' for mental health carers in inpatient settings a dynamic perspective on permeability and inclusivity. Social science & medicine 91: 122–129.
- Wood, V.J., Spencer, I.H., Curtis, S.E., Gesler, W., Close, H.J., Mason, J.M. & Reilly, J.G. (2013). Creating 'therapeutic landscapes' for mental health carers in inpatient settings, a dynamic perspective on permeability and inclusivity. Social Science and Medicine 91: 122-129.
- Gupta, S., Kripalani, M., Khastgir, U. & Reilly, J. (2013). Management of the renal effects of lithium. Advances in Psychiatric Treatment
- Van Zyl, M., Wieczorek, G. & Reilly, J. G. (2013). Survey of venous thromboembolism incidence in mental health services for older people survey of in-patient units. Psychiatrist 37: 283-285.
- Damodaran, L. & Reilly, J. (2012). Who cares about healthcare transitions in prisoners with mental health problems?. BMJ 345: e6760.
- McMurran, M., Crawford, M., Reilly, J., McCrone, P., Moran, P., Williams, H., Adams, C., Duggan, C., Delport, J., Whitham, D. & Day, F. (2011). Psycho-education with problem solving (PEPS) therapy for adults with personality disorder: A pragmatic multi-site community-based randomised clinical trial. Trials 12: 198.
- Kwentoh, L. & Reilly, J. (2010). : Non-medical prescribing (editorial). Psychiatric Bulletin 33(1): 4-7.
- Kripalani, M., Shawcross, J., Reilly, J. G. & Main, J. (2009). Lithium and chronic kidney disease. British Medical Journal 339: b2452.
- Kwentoh M. L. & Reilly J. G. (2009). Non-medical prescribing - the story so far. Psychiatric Bulletin 33: 4-7.
- Reilly, J. G., Close, H., Main, J., Kripalani, M., Hungin, P., Wilson, D. & Mason, J. (2009). Renal outcomes in people with bipolar disorder treated with lithium: a retrospective cohort database study. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 18(S1): S202.
- Fenton, M., Rathbone, J. & Reilly, J. (2009). Thioridazine for Schizophrenia. The Cochrane Library (3): CD001944.
- Thanacoody, R. H. K., Daly, A. K., Reilly, J. G., Ferrier, I. N. & Thomas, S. H. L. (2007). Factors Affecting Drug Concentrations and QT Interval During Thioridazine Therapy Articles. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics 82(5): 555-565.
- Lamprecht, L., Laydon, C., McQuillan, C., Wiseman, S., Williams, L., Gash, A. & Reilly, J. G. (2007). Single-session solution-focused brief therapy and self harm: a pilot study. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 14(6): 601-602.
- Fenton, M., Rathbone, J. & Reilly, J. (2007). Thioridazine for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 3: CD001944.
- Cornford, C. S., Hill, A. & Reilly, J. G. (2006). How patients with depressive symptoms view their condition: a qualitative study. Family Practice 24(4): 358-364.
- Hariram, J., Ejara, A. D., Knights, L., Lewis, E., Hudson, S., Bradley, J. & Reilly, J. G. (2003). Impact of healthy lifestyle intervention group on weight gain in severe mental illness (abstract). Journal of Psychopharmacology: Supplement S 17(3): A52.
- Coak, A., Reilly, J. G. & Morris, S. (2003). Thioridazine for anxiety and depressive disorders (protocol). Cochrane Library (2).
- Reilly, J. G., Thomas, S. H. L. & Ferrier, I. N. (2002). Recent studies on ECG changes, antipsychotic use and sudden death in psychiatric patients. Psychiatric Bulletin 26: 110-112.
- Reilly, J. G., Ayis, S. A., Ferrier, I. N., Jones, S. J. & Thomas, S. H. L. (2002). Thioridazine and sudden unexplained death in psychiatric patients. British Journal of Psychiatry 180(6): 515-522.
- Reilly, J. G., Ayis, S. & Ferrier, I. N. (2001). Sudden death and thioridazine (abstract). Br J Clinical Pharmacology 51: 363.
School of Education
- NHS & Durham University: Spread and Embed: Investigating the adoption, transmission and evolution of healthcare processes
- 2010: Mental Health Research Unit Funding (Academic) (£1399421.46 from Tees, Esk & Wear Valley NHS Trust)
- 2010: Mental Health Research Unit Funding (Admin) (£176405.00 from Tees, Esk & Wear Valley NHS Trust)
- 2010: Reilly J, Curtis S, Mason JM, Gesler W, Spencer I, Close H Evaluating the implementation of a new psychiatric inpatient facility: a mixed methods approach. NIHR PERP 2010-2012, £324,717
- 2010: Support Post for Paul Tiffin (£125000.00 from Tees, Esk & Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust)