Mr Jonathan Erskine
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Jonathan's background is in Philosphy and Art History, but he worked for a number of years as a technical writer and journalist, and later as an IT manager. Following studies in Natural Sciences with the Open University, Jonathan joined the School for Medicine and Health in the Centre for Clinical Management Development, before joining the Centre for Public Policy and Health as Research Associate in 2008. His research interests are in the areas of health service reform, the boundaries between primary and secondary care, large-scale change in healthcare systems and the relationship between the design of health service systems and the built healthcare environment.
Jonathan has had a long association with the European Health Property Network (www.euhpn.eu) where he is Executive Director. He was a non-executive director with NHS Stockton, and Vice-Chair of the Board, and is currently an executive director of Healthwatch Stockton.
BA (Hons) Cantab, 1979-83, Philosophy and Art History.
Technical author and project leader for documentation programmes with with ICL, Olivetti, NCR,1984-87.
IT Manager with Escolas Cambridge, Lda, Portugal, 1988-96
Natural Sciences studies with OU, 1997-2004; voluntary work with CAB and Alzheimer’s Society.
Joined the Centre for Clinical Management Development, University of Durham in November 2004 as Research Associate; transferred to the Centre for Public Policy and Health in 2008.
Executive Director, European Health Property Network (EuHPN), 2008 - present.
EuHPN Edinburgh, UK, November 2004
EuHPN Design Impact Study peer review, Amsterdam, February 2005
EuHPN Oulu, Finland, June 2005 - speaker: HAI and the hospital environment
EuHPN Design Impact Study launch, Soesterberg, Netherlands, October 2005
Scottish Health Department single room/HAI peer review, November 2005.
EuHPN Budapest, Hungary, April 2006 – speaker: Future Regional Health Care.
Interreg IIIc Health ClusterNET Capital Investment Workshop, April 2006 – speaker: ICT in Health Care Systems.
EuHPN Workshop, Paris 2007
EuHPN Design Impact Study peer review, Amsterdam, February 2005
EuHPN Oulu, Finland, June 2005
EuHPN Budapest, Hungary, April 2006
Interreg IIIc Health ClusterNET Capital Investment Workshop, April 2006
- Degeling, P & Erskine, J (2009). New models of long-term care and implications for service redesign. In Investing in Hospitals of the Future. Rechel, B, Wright, S, Edwards, N, Dowdeswell, B & McKee, M World Health Organization. 27-44.
- van Laarhoven, H & Erskine, J (2009). Orbis Medical Park, Sittard, Netherlands. In Capital Investment for Health: Case Studies from Europe. Rechel, B, Erskine, J, Dowdeswell, B, Wright, S & McKee, M World Health Organization. 111-122.
- Macleod, M & Erskine, J (2009). Prevention is better than cure. In Lessons Learned from Accident Investigations. Stoop, J European Safety, Reliability & Data Association (ESReDA).
- Erskine, J, Romeri, M, Agger, S & Rosini, D (2009). Strategic Asset Planning: An Integrated Regional Health Care System, Tuscany, Italy. In Capital Investment for Health: Case Studies from Europe. Rechel, B, Erskine, J, Dowdeswell, B, Wright, S & McKee, M World Health Organization. 173-185.
- Dowdeswell B & Erskine J (2008). Systematisation of clinical care and health capital planning. In Changing Clinical Care. Gray A, Degeling P & Colebatch H Oxford: Radcliffe Publishing.
- Mills, G R, Erskine J, Price A D F, Phiri M & Sellars P (2012), Developing a world-leading and smart regulatory design quality framework for healthcare estates in England, HaCIRIC International Conference 2012. Cardiff, Health and Care Infrastructure Research and Innovation Centre, 38-45.
Journal papers: academic
- Erskine, J, Hunter, DJ, Small, A, Hicks, C, McGovern, T, Lugsden, E, Whitty, P, Steen, N & Eccles, MP (2013). Leadership and transformational change in healthcare organisations: A qualitative analysis of the North East Transformation System. Health Services Management Research 26(1): 29-37.
- Erskine, J, Hunter, DJ, Hicks, C, McGovern, T, Scott, E, Lugsden, E, Kunonga, E & Whitty, P (2009). New development: First steps towards an evaluation of the North East Transformation System. Public Money & Management 29(5): 273-276.
- Mahadkar, S Mills, G & Erskine, J (2010). European Health Property Network Annual Workshop, Stockholm 2010. Health and Care Infrastructure Research and Innovation Centre; European Health Property Network..
- Erskine, J & Dowdeswell, B (2009). Decentralised Healthcare Facilities. TNO-Healthcare; Ministry of Public Health, Wellbeing and Sport, Netherlands.
- Erskine, J (2009). Reflections on the international workshop ‘Integrated Care Models and the Impact on Services and Infrastructure’, Trondheim. SINTEF Health; Ministry of Health, Norway..
- Erskine, J (2011). Guidelines and Standards for Healthcare Buildings: A European Health Property Network Survey. European Health Property Network.
Indicators of Esteem
- 2015: Member of the Organising Committee, 2015 European Healthcare Design Conference:
- 2011: Chair of the Independent Review of the National Paediatric Hospital of Ireland:
- 2010: Scientific Committee, Health and Care Infrastructure Research and Innovation (HaCIRIC) conference:
- 2009: Member of the Scientific Committee, HaCIRIC conference:
- 2006: Invited expert facilitator for the Interreg IIIc Health ClusterNET programme’s Capital Investment Workshop: Health ClusterNET is a network of European Regions supported by the INTERREG IIIC initiative. The Network comprises 13 European regional partners who are working together to improve the contribution that health care sector spending makes to regional development.
- 2006: Proposed as a member of the steering committee for the BHEST (eco-hospitals) project, funded by the Intelligent Energy Europe Commission (Directorate-General for Energy and Transport): This project concerns innovative use of new and existing technologies to effect energy savings in health care buildings. It is intended to result in a comparative study of best practice across a number of European countries.
- 2006: Secretary and administrator for the Board of the European Health Property Network (EuHPN): EuHPN is a network of European governmental and research organisations responsible for the strategic asset planning and management of all form of health property, from hospitals to health centres
- Executive Director, European Health Property Network:
Department of Geography
School of Applied Social Sciences
- Built Infrastructure for Older People’s Care in Conditions of Climate Change (BIOPICCC), £320K
- Health system planning; capital investment; European health systems; health facilities and assets
- 2009: An Evaluation of Transformational Change in NHS North East
- 2009: BIOPICCC (£10178.06 from Epsrc)