Dr David Ekers, RMN ENB 650 (Dip CBT) MSc PhD
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dr David Ekers has worked in inpatient settings both in London, North Devon and Australia. Whilst in Australia he worked in a community extended hours and crisis team in the eastern suburbs of Sydney. On return to the UK in the mid 1990’s David worked as a community psychiatric nurse in Kent. This led him to see the difficulties common mental health problems pose in primary care settings due to the prevalence of these conditions and lack of evidence based talking therapies. This led David to earn a funded studentship on the prestigious ENB 650 (Dip in Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy) training led by Professor Isaac Marks at the Maudsley Hospital. Following this 18 month full time course David commenced employment as a clinical nurse specialist in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in Southampton Hampshire. Also at this time David commenced a MSc in research methodology at Southampton University. It was at this point his research developed mainly exploring issues relating to improving access to talking treatments. David became becoming the CBT nurse lead in April 2000 before moving to County Durham in June 2002 to take up a role as Consultant Nurse in Primary Care Mental Health. David continued to pursue interests in the dissemination of CBT interventions and was part of a number of national work streams for the Department of Health that led to the development of the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) service across the UK. David’s became the Clinical Lead for ‘Talking Changes’ IAPT service in Co Durham and Darlington. During this time David completed hi PhD exploring the effectiveness and dissemination of Behavioural Activation for Depression. He now works with the Mental Health Research Centre at Durham University being the local principal investigator on a number of multicenter randomised controlled trials that aim to improve the access of talking treatments for common mental health problems.
David currently focuses on primary care mental health research at Durham University Mental Health Research Centre. In particular his interest is improving access to psychological treatments of anxiety and depression.
Current research projects:
Co investigator on NIHR HTA funded multi centre RCT: Collaborative care for screen positive elders: the CASPER Trial.
Chief Investigator Professor Simon Gilbody, University of York, David is PI for the Durham site of this research.
Co investigator on NIHR HTA funded multi centre RCT: Cost and Outcome of Behavioural Activation (COBRA). Chief investigator Professor David Richards University of Exeter, David is PI for the Durham site.
- Curran, J., Ekers, D., McMillan, D. & Houghton, S. (2012). Behavioural Activation. In Cognitive Behaviour Therapies. Dryden, W. Sage.
- Ekers, D. (2010). Training depression case managers. In Oxford Guide to Low Intensity CBT Interventions. Bennet-Levy, J., Richards, D., Christensen, C., Farrand, P., Griffiths, K., Kavanagh, D., Klein, B., Proudfoot, J., Lau, M. A., Ritterband, L., White, J. & Williams, C. Oxford University Press. 427-436.
- Ekers, D. & Ricketts, T. (2008). Primary Care. In Mental Health from Policy to Practice. Brooker, C. & Repper, J. Elsevier.
Journal papers: academic
- Delgadillo, J, Gore, S, Ali,S, Ekers, D, Gilbody, S, Gilchrist, S, McMillan, D & Hughes, E (2015). Feasibility randomized controlled trial of cognitive and behavioural interventions for depression symptoms in patients accessing drug and alcohol treatment. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 55: 6-14.
- Murphy, R., Ekers, D. & Webster, L.A.D. (2014). An update to depression case management by practice nurses in primary care: a service evaluation. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 21(9): 827-833.
- Ekers, D., Webster, L.A.D., Van Straten, Annemieke, Cuijpers, P., Richards, D. & Gilbody, S. (2014). Behavioural Activation for Depression: An Update of Meta-Analysis of Effectiveness and Sub Group Analysis. Plos One 9(6): e100100.
- Welsh, P.R., Kitchen, C.E.W., Webster, L.A.D., Ekers, D. & Tiffin, P.A. (2014). Behavioural activation therapy for adolescents 'at-risk' for psychosis. Early intervention in psychiatry Early View.
- Overend, K., Lewis, H., Bailey, D., Bosanquet, K., Chew-Graham, C., Ekers, D., Gascoyne, S., Hems, D., Holmes, J., Keding, A., McMillan, D., Meer, S., Mitchell, N., Nutbrown, S, Parrott, S, Richards, D., Traviss, G., Trepel, D., Woodhouse, R. & Gilbody, S. (2014). CASPER plus (CollAborative care in Screen-Positive EldeRs with major depressive disorder): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 15: 451.
- Rhodes, S., Richards, D.A., Ekers, D., McMillan, D., Byford, S., Farrand, P.A., Gilbody, S., Hollon, S.D., Kuyken, W., Martell, C., O'Mahen, H.A., O'Neill, E., Reed, N., Taylor, R.S., Watkins, E.R. & Wright, K.A. (2014). Cost and outcome of behavioural activation versus cognitive behaviour therapy for depression (COBRA): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 15: 29.
- Masterson, Ciara, Ekers, David, Gilbody, Simon, Richards, David, Toner-Clewes, Benjamin & McMillian, Dean (2014). Sudden gains in behavioural activation for depression. Behaviour Research and Therapy 60: 34-38.
- Ekers, D. & Webster L. A. D. (2013). An overview of the effectiveness of psychological therapy for depression and stepped care service delivery models. Journal of Research in Nursing 18(2): 171-184.
- Ekers, D., Dawson, M. & Bailey, L. (2013). Dissemination of Behavioural Activation for depression to mental health nurses. Training evaluation and benchmarked clinical outcomes. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 20(2): 186-192.
- Ekers, D., Murphy, R., Archer, J., Ebenezer, C., Kemp D. & Gilbody, S. (2013). Nurse-delivered collaborative care for depression and long-term physical conditions: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Affective Disorders 149(1): 14-22.
- Mitchell, N., Hewitt, C., Adamson, J., Parrott, S. Torgerson, D., Ekers, D., Holmes, J., Lester, H., McMillan, D., Richards D., Spilsbury, K., Godfrey, C & Gilbody, S. (2011). A randomised evaluation of CollAborative care and active surveillance for Screen-Positive EldeRs with sub-threshold depression (CASPER): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 12: 225.
- Ekers, D., Richards, D., McMillan, D., Bland, M. & Gilbody, S. (2011). Behavioural Activation delivered by the non-specialist: phase II randomised controlled trial. British Journal of Psychiatry 198(1): 66-72.
- Houghton, S., Curran, J. & Ekers, D. (2011). Behavioural Activation in the treatment of depression. Mental Health Practice 14(7): 18-23.
- Ekers, D., Godfrey, C., Gilbody, S., Parrott, S., Richards, D. A., Hammond, D. & Hayes, A. (2011). Cost utility of Behavioural Activation delivered by the non-specialist. British Journal of Psychiatry 199(6): 510-511.
- Ekers, D., Richards, D. & Gilbody, S. (2008). A Meta Analysis of Randomised Trials of Behavioural Treatment of Depression. Psychological Medicine 38(5): 611-623.
- Ekers, D. & Wilson, W. (2008). Depression case management by practice nurses in primary care: an audit. Mental Health in Family Medicine 5(2): 111-119.
- Gamble, C., Ekers, D. & Callaghan, P. (2008). Nurse consultants and the research community. Mental Health Practice 11(10): 32-35.
- Ekers, D. & Richards, D. (2007). Anxiety and Depression in Primary Care. Primary Health Care 17(4): 36-39.
- Ekers, D., Richards, D. & Grant, H. (2007). Developing depression management in primary care. Primary Health Care 17(8): 31-33.
- Ekers, D. & Preston, J. (2006). Depression case management in a stepped care system. Progress in Neurology and Psychiatry 10(7): 31-36.
- Ekers, D., Lovell, K. & Payle, J. (2006). The use of CBT based, brief, facilitated self-help interventions in primary care mental health service provision: Evaluation of a 10-day training programme. Clinical Effectiveness in Nursing 9(S1): e88-e96.
- Ekers, D. & Fletcher, J. (2005). Learning About Depression care management from Health Maintenance Organisations in the USA. Journal of Mental Health Nursing 25(2): 16-19.
- Lovell, K., Ekers, D., Fulford, A. & Bagley, C. (2004). Pilot of Self-Help Manual & Short Appointments in The Treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in Specialist CBT Services. Clinical Effectiveness in Nursing 8: 122-127.
- Ekers, D., Carmen, S. & Schlich, T. (2004). Successful Outcome of Exposure and Response Prevention in the Treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in A Patient with Schizophrenia. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy 32(3): 375-378.
- Ekers, D. & Kingdon, D. (2003). Can Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy Assist Adherence to Fluid Restriction with Dialysis Patients: A case series. Clinical Effectiveness in Nursing 7: 15-17.
- Ekers, D., Lovell, K. & Richards, D. (2002). Treatment for agoraphobia with a self-help treatment manual and telephone guidance: A Case Study. Journal of Mental Health Nursing 22(3): 18-21.