Dr Christina Dobson, BSc, MA, PhD
Christina is a Research Associate in the Evaluation, Research and Development Unit (ERDU), of which she has been a member since 2011. She has a BSc (Hons) degree in Medical Anthropology and an MA in Research Methods in Anthropology, both of which were from the University of Durham.
Christina recently completed a PhD, titled Help-Seeking among People with Symptoms of Lung or Colorectal Cancer: Experience and social context. This research adopted a constructivist grounded theory approach and considered how contextual factors influence how and when people present to a GP about their symptoms.
During her time in ERDU Christina has been involved in a range of studies relating to the early diagnosis of cancer, including examinations of non-participation in screening, pathways to diagnosis, diagnostic delays and clinical decision support tools. Christina is currently working on EMPRESS, a multi-site study led Hull York Medical School, which seeks to understand the characteristics and experiences of people diagnosed with lung or colorectal cancer via an emergency presentation.
Christina's research interests lie in the early diagnosis of cancer, the social prosriptions of patient behaviour and qualitative research methods. She is also a tutor on the Medicine in the Community modules, which is delivered to first and second year medical students.
- Walter, FM, Emery, J, Mendonca, S, Hall, N, Mills, K, Dobson, C, Morris, H, Bankhead, C, Hamilton, W & Rubin, G (Accepted), Symptoms and co‐morbidities associated with diagnostic intervals for colorectal cancer: a prospective cohort study, The Cancer and Primary Care Research International Network (Ca-PRI). Aarhus, Denmark, Aarhus.
- Dobson, CM, Brown, SR, Russell, AJ & Rubin, GP (Accepted), The help‐seeking experiences of patients with symptoms of lung or colorectal cancer , The Cancer and Primary Care Research International Network (Ca-PRI). Aarhus, Denmark, Aarhus.
- Dobson, CM, Brown, SR, Russell, AJ & Rubin, GP (2015), ‘Explaining discrepant results from questionnaires and interviews concerning help-seeking: are ‘public’ and ‘private’ accounts the key?’, UCL Qualitative Health Research Symposium: Enriching qualitative enquiry in health. London, UK, London.
- Dobson, CM & Brown, SR (2015), Problematising Previvorship, The Cancer and Primary Care Research International Network (Ca-PRI). Aarhus, Denmark, Aarhus.
- Walter, F.M., Morris, H.C., Rubin, G., Bankhead, C., Hall, N., Mills, K., Dobson, C., Smeekens, C., Neal, R., Banks, J., Hamilton, W. & Emery, J. (2013), Factors associated with later presentation and later stage at diagnosis of lung cancer: early results from a prospective cohort study, The Cancer and Primary Care Research International Network. Cambridge, UK, Cambridge.
- Dobson, C.M., Titova, E. & Rubin, G.P. (2013), Perceived delay among patients with colorectal, stomach and oesophageal cancer: Analysis of data from a national GP audit, British Society of Gastroenterology. Glasgow, Scotland, Glasgow.
- Dobson, C.M. & Rubin, G.P. (2013), Perceived Delay in Lung, Colorectal, Breast and Prostate Cancer Diagnosis: analysis of data from the national GP audit, The Cancer and Primary Care Research International Network. Cambridge, UK, Cambridge.
- Rubin, GP & Dobson, CM (2012), Causes of diagnostic delay among lung, gastro-oesophageal and breast cancer patients: the Revised Andersen Model of Total Patient Delay as an analytical framework, The Cancer and Primary Care Research International Network. Cleveland, USA, Cleveland OH.
- Dobson, CM & Rubin, GP (2012), Exploring diagnostic delay among lung, gastro-oesophageal and breast cancer patients using the Revised Andersen Model of Total Patient Delay as an analytical framework, The Society for Academic Primary Care. Glasgow, UK, Glasgow.
- Brown, SR, Henderson, EJ, Dobson, CM & Nixon, C (2012), Pharmacists' perspectives on the feasibility of the provision of alcohol screening and brief advice to women attending for emergency hormonal contraception: A pilot study, The Society for Academic Primary Care. Glasgow, UK, Glasgow.
- Hall, NJ, Rubin, GP, Weller, D, Wardle, J, Dobson, C, Ritchie, M & Rees, C (2012), Understanding non-participation in bowel cancer screening: A qualitative study, Digestive Disorders Federation. Liverpool, UK, Liverpool.
- Benson, C & Ball, H (2011), Prompting behaviour change through the 'What's Cooking Kids?' healthy eating intervention, UK Society for Behavioural Medicine 7th Annual Scientific Meeting. Stirling, UK, Stirling.
- Benson, C (2010), The impact of a short term healthy eating initiative on children aged 8-11, Anthropology Postgraduate Conference. Durham, UK, Durham.
- Benson, C. (2009), Bulging Britain: The effect of increasing portion sizes on British obesity levels, REDAM Medical Anthropology Network. Tarragona, Spain. Tarragona.
- Hall, N.J., Rubin, G.P., Dobson, C.M., Weller, D., Wardle, J., Ritchie, M. & Rees, C.J. (2015). Attitudes and beliefs of non-participants in a population-based screening programme for colorectal cancer. Health Expectations 18(5): 1645-1657.
- Walter, F.M., Rubin, G., Bankhead, C., Morris, H.C., Hall, N., Mills, K., Dobson, C., Rintoul R., Hamilton, W & Emery, J. (2015). Symptoms and other factors associated with time to diagnosis and stage of lung cancer: a prospective cohort study. British Journal of Cancer 112: S6-S13.
- Dobson, Christina Mary, Russell, Andrew James & Rubin, Greg Paul (2014). Patient delay in cancer diagnosis: what do we really mean and can we be more specific?. BMC Health Services Research 14(1): 387.
- Dobson, C & Rubin, G (2014). Review of Frissure. Brigid Collins and Kathleen Jamie. British Journal of General Practice
- Benson, C. (2009). Increasing Portion Size in Britain. Society, Biology and Human Affairs 74(2): 4-20.
Evaluation Research Development Unit (ERDU)
- Barriers to uptake of colorectal cancer screening
- 2015: British Association of Cancer Research (BACR) / Cancer Research UK (CRUK) Student Travel Award (£1000)
- 2015: The Wellcome Trust Society & Ethics Small Grant to support the Qualitative Health Research Writing Group Network (QHRWGN) (£4896.00)
- 2013: Ca-PRI/CRUK Travel Award (£500)
- 2013: Evaluation, Research and Development Unit (ERDU) PhD Studentship
- 2013: Faculty of Social Sciences PhD Student's Projects and Initiatives Grant awarded to hold a workshop on Patient and Public Involvement in Health Research (£1000)
- 2009: An Evaluation of the What’s Cooking Kids? Healthy Eating Initiative - One North East Studentship
- Medicine in the Community Tutor