Dr Angela Woods
(email at email@example.com)
I am an interdisciplinary medical humanities researcher working at the intersection of cultural theory, philosophy and literary studies. I am the Co-Director of Hearing the Voice, a three-year interdisciplinary study of voice-hearing funded by a Wellcome Trust Strategic Award, and Deputy Director of the Centre for Medical Humanities.
I completed my PhD in Literary and Cultural Studies at the University of Melbourne, where I also lectured in Postmodernism and was the lead curriculum designer of Australia's first interdisciplinary coursework degree for doctoral students. My first book, The Sublime Object of Psychiatry: Schizophrenia in Clinical and Cultural Theory, was published in 2011, and my current research interests include the interplay between theoretical and subjective accounts of psychotic experience and new modes of 'doing interdisciplinarity', especially within the critical medical humanities. I am an Associate Editor of the BMJ Medical Humanities Journal and the founding editor of the Centre for Medical Humanities blog.
- Woods, A. (2011). The Sublime Object of Psychiatry: Schizophrenia in Clinical and Cultural Theory. Oxford.: Oxford University Press.
- Woods, A. (2014). Book Review. Medicine, Health and the Arts: Approaches to the Medical Humanities. Edited by Victoria Bates, Alan Bleakley, Sam Goodman. Published by Routledge, 2013, hardback, 304 pages. ISBN 978-0415644310, £84.99. Medical Humanities 40(2): 146-148.
- Woods, A. (2013). Beyond the Wounded Storyteller: Rethinking Narrativity, Illness and Embodied Self-Experience. In Health, Illness and Disease: Philosophical Essays. Carel, H. & Cooper, R. Newcastle.: Acumen. 113-128.
- Woods, A. (2012). Mathematics <> Masculinity <>Madness. In Madness in Context: Historical, Poetic and Artistic Narratives. Araoz, G. Oxford.: Interdisciplinary Press.
Journal papers: academic
- Bernini, M. & Woods, A. (2014). 'Interdisciplinarity as Cognitive Integration: Auditory verbal Hallucinations as a Case study'. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Cognitive Science 5(5): 603-612.
- McCarthy-Jones, S., Thomas, N., Strauss, C., Dodgson, G., Jones, N., Woods, A., Brewin, C., Hayward, M., Stephane, M., Barton, J., Kingdon, D. & Sommer, I. (2014). Better Than Mermaids and Stray Dogs? Subtyping Auditory Verbal Hallucinations and Its Implications for Research and Practice. Schizophrenia Bulletin 40(Suppl 4): S275-S284.
- Larøi, F., Luhrmann, T. M., Bell, V., Christian, W. A., Deshpande, S., Fernyhough, C., Jenkins, J. & Woods, A. (2014). Culture and Hallucinations: Overview and Future Directions. Schizophrenia Bulletin 40(Suppl 4): S213-S220.
- Woods, A., Jones, N., Bernini, M., Callard, F., Alderson-Day, B., Badcock, J., Bell, V., Cook, C., Csordas, T., Humpston, C., Krueger, J., Larøi, F., McCarthy-Jones, S., Moseley, P. Powell, H. Raballo, A., Smailes, D. & Fernyhough, C. (2014). Interdisciplinary Approaches to the Phenomenology of Auditory Verbal Hallucinations. Schizophrenia Bulletin 40(S4): S246-S254.
- Waters, Flavie, Woods, Angela & Fernyhough, Charles (2014). Report on the 2nd International Consortium on Hallucination Research: Evolving Directions and Top-10 “Hot Spots” in Hallucination Research. Schizophrenia Bulletin 40(1): 24-27.
- Woods, A. (2013). Book review Matti Hyvarinen, Lars-Christer Hyden, Maria Saarenheimo and Maria Tamboukou, Beyond narrative coherence an introduction. Qualitative research 13(2): 246-248.
- Woods, A (2013). Rethinking 'patient testimony' in the medical humanities the case of Schizophrenia Bulletin’s first-person accounts. Journal of Literature and Science 6(1): 38-54.
- Woods, Angela (2013). The Voice-Hearer. Journal of Mental Health 22(3): 263.
- Woods, A. (2011). 'I suffer in an unknown manner that is hieroglyphical’. Jung and Babette en route to Freud and Schreber. History of the Present 1(2): 244-258.
- Woods, A. (2011). Memoir and the Diagnosis of Schizophrenia: Reflections on The Centre Cannot Hold; Me, Myself, and Them; and the ‘Crumbling Twin Pillars’ of Kraepelinian Psychiatry. Mental Health Review 16(3): 102-106.
- Woods, A. (2011). Post-Narrative: An Appeal. Narrative Inquiry 21(2): 399-406.
- Woods, A. (2011). The Limits of Narrative: Provocations for the Medical Humanities. Medical Humanities 37(2): 73-78.
- 2014: The Edinburgh Companion to Critical Medical Humanities: An international Workshop (£4664.00 from Wellcome Trust)
- 2014: The Hubbub Hub at Wellcome Collection (£59394.00 from Wellcome Trust)
- 2012: Hearing the Voice (£312064.00 from Wellcome Trust)
- 2011: IAS Workshop on voice hearing (£4366.00 from Wellcome Trust)