Professor Joseph Reilly, DM MRCPsych BmedSci DipMedSci Cert of Med Education
Joe is Honorary Professor with the Mental Health Research Group and Clinical Director of R&D for Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust. After undergraduate medicine at Nottingham, he trained in adult psychiatry in London and Newcastle, and has worked as a consultant psychiatrist in the North East since 1997. His main research interest is personality disorder- the effectiveness of therapeutic interventions, and approaches to diagnosis and risk. He is currently co-investigator on a NIHR Health Technology Assessment funded randomised trial in personality disorder (LABILE). He also collaborates with the Drug Safety Research Unit on observational studies of psychotropic drug adverse effects (currently co-investigator on the OBSERVA study). He has a role in promoting greater participation by users and clinicians in NHS research as a Clinical Research Lead with the North East and North Cumbria NIHR Clinical Research Network. In his spare time he helps out with the Durham University Psychiatry Society.
Journal papers: academic
- Wood, V.J., Gesley, W., Curtis, S.E., Spencer, I.H., Close, H.J., Mason, J. & Reilly, J.G. (2015). 'Therapeutic landscapes' and the importance of nostalgia, solastalgia, salvage and abandonment for psychiatric hospital design. Health & Place 33: 83-89.
- Sykes, MJ, Brabban, A & Reilly, J (2015). Balancing harms in support of recovery. Journal of Mental Health
- Crawford, MJ, Sanatinia, R, Barret, B, Byford, S, Cunningham, G, Gakhal, K, Lawrence-Smith, G, Leeson, V, Lemonsky, F, Lykomitrou, G, Montgomery, A, Morriss, R, Paton, C, Tan, W, Tyrer, P & Reilly, JG (2015). Lamotrigine versus inert placebo in the treatment of borderline personality disorder: Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial and economic evaluation. Trials 16: 308.
- Crawford, MJ, MacLaren, T & Reilly, JG (2014). Are mood stabilisers helpful in treatment of borderline personality disorder?. BMJ 349: g5378.
- Beckwith, H., Moran, P.F. & Reilly, J.G. (2014). Personality disorder prevalence in psychiatric outpatients: A systematic literature review. Personality and Mental Health 8(2): 91-101.
- Close, H., Reilly, J., Mason, J.M., Mukesh, K., Wilson, D., Main, J. & Hungin, A.P.S. (2014). Renal Failure in Lithium-Treated Bipolar Disorder: A Retrospective Cohort Study. PLOS ONE 9(3): e90169.
- Close, H., Hancock, H., Mason, J. M., Murphy, J. J., Fuat, A., de Belder, M. & Hungin, A. P. S. (2013). “It’s Somebody else’s responsibility” - perceptions of general practitioners, heart failure nurses, care home staff, and residents towards heart failure diagnosis and management for older people in long-term care: a qualitative interview study. BMC Geriatrics 13(69).
- Van Zyl, M., Wieczorek, G. & Reilly, J. G. (2013). Awareness of Venous Thromboembolism in Mental Health Services for Older People. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 21(4): 375-378.
- Curtis, S.E., Gesler, W., Wood, V.J., Spenser, I., Mason, J., Close, H. & Reilly, J. (2013). Compassionate containment? Balancing technical safety and therapy in the design of psychiatric wards. Social Science & Medicine 97: 201-209.
- Gupta, S., Kripalani, M., Khastgir, U. & Reilly, J. (2013). Management of the renal effects of lithium. Advances in Psychiatric Treatment 19: 457-466.
- Van Zyl, M., Wieczorek, G. & Reilly, J. G. (2013). Survey of venous thromboembolism incidence in mental health services for older people survey of in-patient units. Psychiatrist 37: 283-285.
- Damodaran, L. & Reilly, J. (2012). Who cares about healthcare transitions in prisoners with mental health problems?. BMJ 345: e6760.
- McMurran, M., Crawford, M., Reilly, J., McCrone, P., Moran, P., Williams, H., Adams, C., Duggan, C., Delport, J., Whitham, D. & Day, F. (2011). Psycho-education with problem solving (PEPS) therapy for adults with personality disorder: A pragmatic multi-site community-based randomised clinical trial. Trials 12: 198.
- Kripalani, M., Shawcross, J., Reilly, J. G. & Main, J. (2009). Lithium and chronic kidney disease. British Medical Journal 339: b2452.
- Kwentoh M. L. & Reilly J. G. (2009). Non-medical prescribing - the story so far. Psychiatric Bulletin 33: 4-7.
- Reilly, J. G., Close, H., Main, J., Kripalani, M., Hungin, P., Wilson, D. & Mason, J. (2009). Renal outcomes in people with bipolar disorder treated with lithium: a retrospective cohort database study. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 18(S1): S202.
- Fenton, M., Rathbone, J. & Reilly, J. (2009). Thioridazine for Schizophrenia. The Cochrane Library (3): CD001944.
- Thanacoody, R. H. K., Daly, A. K., Reilly, J. G., Ferrier, I. N. & Thomas, S. H. L. (2007). Factors Affecting Drug Concentrations and QT Interval During Thioridazine Therapy Articles. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics 82(5): 555-565.
- Lamprecht, L., Laydon, C., McQuillan, C., Wiseman, S., Williams, L., Gash, A. & Reilly, J. G. (2007). Single-session solution-focused brief therapy and self harm: a pilot study. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing 14(6): 601-602.
- Fenton, M., Rathbone, J. & Reilly, J. (2007). Thioridazine for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 3: CD001944.
- Hariram, J., Ejara, A. D., Knights, L., Lewis, E., Hudson, S., Bradley, J. & Reilly, J. G. (2003). Impact of healthy lifestyle intervention group on weight gain in severe mental illness (abstract). Journal of Psychopharmacology: Supplement S 17(3): A52.
- Coak, A., Reilly, J. G. & Morris, S. (2003). Thioridazine for anxiety and depressive disorders (protocol). Cochrane Library (2).
- Reilly, J. G., Thomas, S. H. L. & Ferrier, I. N. (2002). Recent studies on ECG changes, antipsychotic use and sudden death in psychiatric patients. Psychiatric Bulletin 26: 110-112.
- Reilly, J. G., Ayis, S. A., Ferrier, I. N., Jones, S. J. & Thomas, S. H. L. (2002). Thioridazine and sudden unexplained death in psychiatric patients. British Journal of Psychiatry 180(6): 515-522.
- Reilly, J. G., Ayis, S. & Ferrier, I. N. (2001). Sudden death and thioridazine (abstract). British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 51: 363.
School of Education
- NHS & Durham University: Spread and Embed: Investigating the adoption, transmission and evolution of healthcare processes
- 2010: Mental Health Research Unit Funding (Academic) (£1399421.46 from Tees, Esk & Wear Valley NHS Trust)
- 2010: Mental Health Research Unit Funding (Admin) (£176405.00 from Tees, Esk & Wear Valley NHS Trust)
- 2010: Reilly J, Curtis S, Mason JM, Gesler W, Spencer I, Close H Evaluating the implementation of a new psychiatric inpatient facility: a mixed methods approach. NIHR PERP 2010-2012, £324,717
- 2010: Support Post for Paul Tiffin (£125000.00 from Tees, Esk & Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust)