We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

School of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health

The University requires that you pay tuition fees at a rate that depends on whether you are full- or part-time, whether your fee status is UK/EU or Overseas, and on the programme you study. If you are unsure about your fee status please contact the Student Recruitment and Admissions Office.

Using the information in the table below you can find out the details of the tuition fees for the current academic year here.


Price Band

Band Description

PhD – Health Studies


Premium classroom

PhD – Pharmacy


Laboratory based

PhD - Pharmaceutical Microbiology


Laboratory based

PhD – Pharmacy Practice


Classroom and high cost

MSc - Pharmacy


Laboratory based

MSc - Pharmacy Practice


Classroom and high cost

*Only in exceptional circumstances can overseas student register as part-time. See Student Immigration Office

Our postgraduate research may also be subject to an additional research fee element (RFE). The RFE (commonly known as a bench fee) is levied to facilitate the research project, and therefore to assist the student in their studies and in completing their research. This fee covers a wide variety of research-related items and/or activities which are not included in the tuition fee. Because each postgraduate research project is unique the RFE is calculated on a student by student basis.

As well as paying your tuition fees, you will also need to pay for accommodation (either college accommodation or privately rented) and your day-to-day living costs.

Your living costs will depend on your personal circumstances, but the majority of students will need to pay for food and other household shopping, utilities, essential clothing, travel, study-related costs and leisure. You should work out how much you will need to spend on your living costs before you start your course (as a rough guide you should allow around £800 per month).

About one-third of new postgraduate students live in College; for students registered in the School of Medicine, Pharmacy and Health College and based at Queen’s Campus accommodation can be provided by either John Snow or George Stephenson colleges. The other two-thirds live in private accommodation; a range of rental accommodation is available in Stockton and the surrounding area. Assistance in looking for private accommodation can be provided by the Accommodation Office at Queen's Campus.

Finding financial help for postgraduate study isn't always easy, but you might be able to apply for loans, scholarships, grants or awards via the following sources.

Further funding information may also be found on the Scholarships Office website and elsewhere on the web at sites such as Postgraduate Funding and FindAPhD.

Unless you are in the position to self-fund your studies you will need to consider applying for funding. Please use the Durham Funding Database to search for possible funding sources.

Please contact Veronica Crooks, Research Student Administrator.