3. The Research Environment
3.1 The University will only accept research students into academic departments where it is confident that students can be trained and supported within an environment which is supportive of research.
3.2 The University defines such an environment as one where the University can offer facilities and equipment necessary to enable students to complete their research programmes successfully and where an academic department of School:
- has been successful in the University Review Process;
- has performance in the 2001 RAE at least of national standing, normally indicated by an overall rating of 4 or above;
- where staff, including post-doc researchers and research students provide a robust, invigorating and sustainable research community;
- has suitable academic staff available to act as supervisors;
- has acceptable submission and completion rates in line with Research Council and AHRC guidelines.