Publication details for Dr Mark McCormackMcCormack, M., Wignall, L. & Anderson, E. (2015). Identities and identifications: Changes in metropolitan bisexual men's attitudes and experiences. Journal of Bisexuality 15(1): 3-20.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1529-9716, 1529-9724
- DOI: 10.1080/15299716.2014.984372
- Keywords: Bisexuality, Generation, Identity, Identifications, Youth.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Drawing on 90 interviews with men who identify as bisexual from Los Angeles, London, and New York, this article examines how bisexual men from three different age cohorts remember first experiencing bisexuality, how they identify today, and how this is changing with younger groups of men. Using an innovative recruitment strategy, the majority of participants in this study are not affiliated with bisexual community groups or counselling services. Thus, it provides insight into how bisexuals outside of these specific institutional settings feel about their sexual identities. It supports the contention that sexual identities are becoming less central to the lives of younger generations, who use them in more pragmatic and strategic ways.