Publication details for Dr Mark McCormackAnderson, E. & McCormack, M. (2016). Inclusive Masculinity Theory: Overview, reflection and refinement. Journal of Gender Studies Advance online publication: 1-15.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0958-9236 (print), 1465-3869 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1080/09589236.2016.1245605
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
In 2010, this journal published an early exposition of inclusive masculinity theory. Since then, the theory has been widely adopted within both the sport and masculinities literature. Furthermore, a large number of other scholars not using the theory have also documented and labelled new masculinity types. There has also been refinement of Inclusive Masculinity Theory, alongside theoretical critiques. In this article, we provide an overview of the genesis of the theory and its refinement, before considering and responding to published and unpublished critiques of the theory. We then suggest future directions for research.