Professor Maggie O'Neill - all publications
- O’Neill, M., Mansaray, S. & Haaken, J. (2015). Women’s lives, well-being and community: arts based biographical methods. International Review of Qualitative Research
- O’Neill. M. & Perivolaris, J. (2014). A Sense of Belonging: Walking with Thaer through migration, memories and space. Crossings: Journal of Migration & Culture 5(2-3): 327-338.
- Haaken, J. & O'Neill, M. (2014). Moving images: Psychoanalytically-informed visual methods in documenting the lives of women migrants and asylum-seekers. Journal of Health Psychology 19(1): 79-89.
- O'Neill, M., Martell, L., Mendick, H. & Müller, R. (2014). Slow Movement/Slow University: Critical Engagements. Introduction to the Thematic Section. Forum: Qualitative Social Research 15(3): 16.
- O'Neill, M. (2014). The Slow University: Work, Time and Well-Being. Forum: Qualitative Social Research 15(3): 14.
- O’Neill, M. & Hubbard, P. (2012). Asylum, Exclusion, and the Social Role of Arts and Culture. Moving Worlds: A Journal of Transcultural Writings
- Schultheiss,D., Watts, J., Sterland, L. & O'Neill, M. (2011). Career, migration and the life CV: A relational cultural analysis. Journal of Vocational Behaviour, Special Issue on Migration: Vocational Perspectives on a Complex and Diverse Transition 78(3): 334-341.
- Cohen, L., Arnold, J. & O'Neill, M. (2011). Migration: Vocational perspectives on a complex and diverse transition. Journal of Vocational Behavior, Special Issue on Migration: Vocational Perspectives on a Complex and Diverse Transition 78(3): 321-324.
- O'Neill, M. (2011). Participatory methods and critical models: Arts, migration and diaspora. Crossings: Journal of Migration and Culture 2: 13-37.
- Pearce, L. & O'Neill, M. (2011). The arts of migration. Crossings: Journal of Migration and Culture 2.
- O'Neill, M. (2010). Cultural Criminology and Sex Work: Resisting Regulation Through Radical Democracy and Participatory Action Research (PAR). Journal of Law and Society 37(1): 210-232.
- Pink, S., Hubbard, P., O'Neill, M., Radley, A. & (editors) Guest Editors' Introduction (2010). Walking across disciplines: from ethnography to arts practice. Visual Studies 25(1): 1-7.
- O'Neill, M. & Hubbard, P. (2010). Walking, Sensing, Belonging: ethno-mimesis as performative praxis. Visual Studies 25(1): 46-58.
- O'Neill, M. (2009). Making Connections: Ethno-mimesis, Migration and Diaspora. Psychoanalysis, Culture and Society 14(3): 289-302.
- O'Neill, M., Campbell, R., Hubbard, P., Pitcher, J. & Scoular, J. (2008). Living with the Other: Street sex work, contingent communities and degrees of tolerance. Crime, Media and Culture 4(1): 73-93.
- O'Neill, M. (2008). Transnational Refugees: The Transformative Role of Art?. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative Social Research 9(2): 59.
- Scoular, J. & O'Neill, M. (2007). Regulating Prostitution Social Inclusion, Responsibilization and the Politics of Prostitution Reform. British Journal of Criminology 47: 764-778.
- O'Neill, M. & Harindranath, H. (2006). Theorising narratives of exile and belonging: the importance of Biography and Ethno-mimesis in 'understanding' asylum. Qualitative Sociology Review II(1).
- O'Neill, M., Woods, P. & Webster, M. (2004). New Arrivals: Participatory Action Research, Imagined Communities and Social Justice. Journal of Social Justice 32(1): 75-89.
- O'Neill, M. & Spybey, T. (2003). Global Refugees: towards a sociology of exile, displacement and belonging. Sociology 7-12.
- O'Neill, M. & Seal, L. (2012). Transgressive Imaginations: Crime, Deviance and Culture. Palgrave Macmillan.
- O'Neill, M. (2010). Asylum, Migration and Community. Bristol: Policy Press.
- Sanders, T., O'Neill, M. & Pitcher, J. (2009). Prostitution: Sex Work, Policy and Politics. London: Sage.
- O'Neill, M. (2001). Prostitution and Feminism. Cambridge: Polity Press.
Chapter in book
- O'Neill, M. (2015). Body and Image-Space: walking, transition and belonging. In Crossing Borders: Transition and Nostalgia in Contemporary Art. Turner, M. & Remes, O. Artouch Publications.
- Craig, G. & O'Neill, M. (2013). It's time to move on from ‘race’? The official ‘invisibilisation’ of minority ethnic disadvantage. In Social Policy Review 25: Analysis and debate in social policy, 2013. Ramia, G., Farnsworth, K. & Irving, Z. Bristol: Policy Press. 25: 93-112.
- O’Neill, M. & Stenning, P. (2013). Walking biographies and innovations in visual and participatory methods: Community, Politics and Resistance in Downtown East Side Vancouver. In The Medialization of Auto/Biographies:Different Forms and their Communicative Contexts. Heinz,C. & Hornung, G. UVK.
- O'Neill, M. (2013). Women, Art, Migration and Diaspora: the turn to art in the social sciences and the ‘new’ sociology of art? In Diasporic Futures. Meskimmon et al Manchester University Press.
- O'Neill, M. (2012). Ethnomimesis and participatory art. In Advances in Visual Methods. Pink, S. Sage.
- O'Neill, M. (2012). Making Connections: art, affect and emotional agency. In Moving Subjects, Moving Objects: Transnationalism, Cultural Production and Emotions. Svasek, M. Berghahn.
- O'Neill, M. (2011). Ethnomimesis and participatory art. In Advances in Visual Methodology. Pink, S. Sage.
- O'Neill, M. (2011). Making Connections: art, affect and emotional agency. In (forthcoming) Moving Subjects, Moving Objects: Transnationalism, Cultural Production and Emotions. Svasek, M Oxford: Berghahn.
- O'Neill, M. & Campbell, R. (2010). Desistence from Sex Work: Feminist Cultural Criminology and Intersectionality: The Complexities of Moving in and Out of Sex Work. In Theorizing Intersectionality and Sexuality. Taylor, Y., Hines, S. & Casey, M. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- O'Neill, M. (2009). Community Safety, Rights, Redistribution and Recognition: towards a Coordinated Prostitution Strategy? In Regulating Sex for Sale: Prostitution, Policy Reform and the UK. Phoenix, J. UK Bristol: Policy Press.
- Scoular, J. & O'Neill, M. (2008). Legal Incursions into Supply/Demand, Criminalising & Responsibilising the Buyers and Sellers of Sex. In Demanding Sex: Critical Reflections on the Regulation of Prostitution. Munro, V. & Della Giusta, M. London: Ashgate.
- O'Neill, M. (2008). Sex, violence and work services to sex workers and public policy reform. In Sex and Crime. Letherby, G., Birch, P., Cain, M. & Williams, K. Devon: Willan Press.
- O'Neill, M. (2007). Adorno. In Sociological Thinkers. Stones, R. London: Macmillan and New York University Press.
- O'Neill, M. (2007). Ethno-mimesis, feminist praxis and the visual turn. In Cultural Sociology. Edwards, Tim. London: Sage Press.
- O'Neill, M. (2007). Re-imagining Diaspora through ethno-mimesis: humiliation, human dignity and belonging. In Reimagining Diasporas: Transnational Lives and the Media. Bailey, O., Georgiou, M. & Harindranath, R. London: Palgrave.
- O’Neill, M., Roberts, B. & Sparkes, A. (2014). Advances in Biographical Methods: creative applications. Polity Press.
- Campbell, R. & O'Neill, M. (2006). Sex Work Now. Cullompton: Willan.
- Barry, J., Dent, M. & O'Neill, M. (2002). Dilemmas in Managing Professionalism and Gender in the Public Sector. London: Routledge.
- Matthews, R. & O'Neill, M. (2002). Prostitution: a Reader. London: Ashgate.
- O'Neill, M. (1999). Adorno, Culture and Feminism. London and New York: Sage Press.
- Cohen, L., Arnold, J. & O’Neill, M. (2011). Career and Migration. Journal of Vocational Behaviour, 78 (3).
- Pearce, L. & O’Neill, M. (2011). The Arts of Migration. Crossings: Migration and Culture, 2
- Pink, S., Hubbard, P., O’Neill, M. & Radley, A. (2010). Walking, Ethnography And Art. Visual Studies Journal, 25 (1).
- O’Neill, M. & Spybey, T. (2003). Global Refugees, Exile, Displacement and Belonging. Sociololgy, 37 (1).
- O'Neill, M., Jobe, A., Bilton, C., Stockdale, K., Kath, Hannah & Community co-researchers (2017). Peer Talk: Hidden Stories. A Participatory Research Project with Women Who Sell or Swap Sex in Teesside. School of Applied Social Sciences. Stockton-on-Tees, A Way Out.