Dr Gill Callaghan
Gill Callaghan completed her first degree in Sociology and Social Administration at Newcastle University and entered Durham University, a number of years later, as a Postgraduate student. She undertook MA and PhD work investigating the transitions to adulthood made by young people living in a de-industrialising city. Immediately following her first degree she qualified and worked for several years as a Probation Officer. She has subsequently worked as a lecturer at Sunderland University and as a Senior Research Fellow at the University of Leeds.
- Callaghan, G. & Wistow, G. (2002). Public and Patient Participation in Primary Care Groups: New Beginnings for Old Power Structures.
Journal papers: academic
- Wistow, Gerald & Callaghan, Gillian (2011). Empowering local communities to commission for health and wellbeing: the connected care initiative in England. Journal of Management & Marketing in Healthcare 4(1): 63-71.
- Callaghan, G. & Wistow, G. (2008). Can the Community Construct Knowledge to Shape Services in the Local State? A Case Study. Critical Social Policy 28(2): 165-186.
- Wistow, G. & Callaghan, G. (2008). Connected Care in Hartlepool Re-visited: Can a Holistic and Community- Centred Approach Survive Implementation?. Journal of Integrated Care 16(2): 5-14.
- Callaghan, G. (2008). Evaluation and Negotiated Order: Developing the Application of Complexity Theory. Evaluation 14(4): 393-405.
- Wistow, G. & Callaghan, G. (2006). Connected Care in Hartlepool: from origins towards reality?. Journal of Integrated Care 14(6): 11-18.
- Callaghan, G. & Wistow, G. (2006). Governance and Public Involvement in the British National Health Service: Understanding Difficulites and Developments. Social Science and Medicine 63(9): 2289-2300.
- Callaghan, G. & Wistow, G. (2006). Publics, Patients, Citizens, Consumers? Power and Decision making in Primary Health Care. Public Administration 84(3): 583-601.
Journal papers: online
- Callaghan, G. (2005). Accessing Habitus: Relating Structure and Agency Through Focus Group Research. Sociological Research Online 10(3).
- Callaghan, G. & Duggan, S. (2006). Report on the Evaluation of the Connected Care Audit. Application filed: 23 February 2007. Granted: 23 February 2007
- Godfrey, M., Callaghan, G., Johnson, L. & Waddington, E. (2003). A Guide to User Involvement for Organisations Providing Housing Related Support Services. Office of the Deputy Prime Minister HMSO.
Indicators of Esteem
- 2004: Journal Editorships: Member of editorial board of Sociological Research Online 1998-2004
- 2004: Professional and Academic Associations: Social capital and the Working Class (with Ian Roberts) paper at conference How Class Works; State University of New York, June 10-12 2004.
- Participation, citizenship and social capital
- Work, family and community
- Policy, Professions and Communities
- Policy Related and Evaluation Research
- 2007: CONNECTED CARE EVALUATION (£129552.00 from Turning Point)