Valuing Diversity, Exploring Faith and Culture: A project that worked with young people in the North East of England
A research project of the School of Applied Social Sciences.
This project is worked with a diverse range of youth groups across the North East, offering a series of 10 workshops and two regional events on the theme of ‘Valuing diversity - exploring faith and culture’. A resource pack has been produced which can be downloaded free by clicking on the link at the end of this page.
Funded by the Gulbenkian Foundation, this four month project was delivered by two facilitators employed by Durham University’s Community and Youth Work Studies Unit. Youth groups from a range of statutory and voluntary (including faith-based) settings in urban and rural areas across the region are invited to participate and a conference was held in partnership with the Regional Youth Work Unit in the North East.
Although youth work projects have a long history of working with young people from a range of faith and cultural backgrounds and of promoting informal education around issues of discrimination, racism and intercultural understandings, there is still considerable work to do on these issues. A recently completed two-year research project entitled: Promoting the Social Inclusion of Young People: the role of faith communities project, produced a DVD which provides an ideal tool to further this work in the region. http://www.dur.ac.uk/sass/projects/research/?mode=project&id=81
The project is funded by the following grant.
- Valuing Diversity, Exploring Faith (£14907.00 from Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation)
- Promoting respect for religious, racial and cultural diversity by young people.
- Empowering young people critically to reflect on their own culture and experiences of faith in the North East of England.
- Encouraging youth workers to reflect on their practice and share information about cultural and faith resources.
- Evaluating and publishing the outcomes of this project as a contribution to promoting good practice in work with young people.
- Laying the foundations for a sustainable network to promote future regional activities.