Professor Harriet Bulkeley
Harriet Bulkeley’s research is concerned with environmental governance and focused on three key themes. First, theorizing and explaining the processes and practices of governing the environment. Her work in this area has focused on the politics of managing municipal waste in the UK and, through the EPSRC funded Carbon, Control and Comfort project and the ESRC-EPSRC InCluESEV research cluster is currently developing in the field of energy systems.
Second, the urban politics of climate change and sustainability. Harriet has a long standing interest in research in this field and currently holds an ESRC Climate Change Leadership Fellowship, Urban Transitions: climate change, global cities and the transformation of socio-technical systems, through which she is developing this work. A report commissioned by the World Bank on Cities and Climate Change: The role of institutions, governance and urban planning can be found here: http://www.urs2009.net/papers.html
The third area of Harriet’s research interests lies in the political geographies of environmental governance, in particular emerging (transnational) political spaces on the boundaries of public/private authority through which climate change is being governed. Harriet leads the Leverhulme international network Transnational Climate Governance and through her Philip Leverhulme Prize is examining the politics of climate change emerging beyond the nation-state in the UK.
Department of Geography
Department of Geography
- InCluESEV - Interdisciplinary Cluster on Energy Systems, Equity and Vulnerability
- International Network on Urban Low Carbon Transitions (INCUT)
- Rising Powers, Clean Development and the Low Carbon Transition in Sub-Saharan Africa, The
- Transnational Climate Change Governance (TCCG)
- Urban Transitions: Climate change, global cities and the transformation of socio-technical systems
Durham Energy Institute
- Processes of governing: concepts of governmentality, scale, networks, and learning
- The contested nature of urban sustainability
- The multi-scalar politics of climate change
- Bulkeley, H. & Newell, P. (2010). Governing Climate Change. Routledge.
- Bulkeley, H. & Betsill, M.M. (2003). Cities and Climate Change: Urban Sustainability and Global Environmental Governance. New York.: Routledge.
Chapter in book
- Bulkeley, H. & Caston Broto, V. (2013). Urban governance and climate change experiments. In Institutional and Social Innovation for Sustainable Urban Development. Mieg, H. & Topfer, K. Routledge. 72-87.
- Bulkeley, H. (2012). Climate change and urban governance: a new politics? In Oxford Handbook of Climate Change and Society. Lockie, S., Sonnenfield, D. & Fisher, D. Routledge.
- Bulkeley, H. & Schroeder, H. (2012). Global cities and the politics of climate change. In Handbook of Global Environmental Politics. Dauvernge.P. Edward Elgar.
- Bulkeley, H. (2011). Cities and subnational governments. In Oxford Handbook of Climate Change and Society. Dryzek, J.S., Norgaard, R.B. & Schlosberg, D. Oxford University Press.
- Bulkeley, H., Hodson, M. & Marvin, S. (2011). Emerging strategies of urban reproduction and the pursuit of low carbon cities. In The New Politics of Sustainable Urban Planning. Flint, J. & Raco, M. The Policy Press.
- Bulkeley, H., Castan Broto, V. & Maassen, A. (2010). Governing urban low carbon transitions. In Cities and Low Carbon Transitions. Bulkeley, H., Castan Broto,V., Hodson, M. & Marvin, S. London.
- Bulkeley, H. (2009). Planning Governance of Climate Change In Planning for Climate Change Strategies for Mitigation and Adaptation for Spatial Planners. Davoudi, S., Crawford, J. & Mehmood, A. Earthscan.
- Bulkeley, H.A., Castan Broto, V., Hodson, M. & Marvin, S. (2010). Cities and Low Carbon Transitions. Routledge.
- Bulkeley, H., Luque-Ayala, A., McFarlane, C. & MacLeod, G. (2018). Enhancing urban autonomy: towards a new political project for cities. Urban Studies 55(4): 702-719.
- Edwards, G.A.S. & Bulkeley, H.A. (2017). Heterotopia and the urban politics of climate change experimentation. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space
- Edwards, G.A.S. & Bulkeley, H. (2017). Urban political ecologies of housing and climate change: the ‘Coolest Block’ Contest in Philadelphia. Urban Studies 54(5): 1126-1141.
- McGuirk, P.M., Bulkeley, H. & Dowling, R. (2016). Configuring urban carbon governance: insights from Sydney, Australia. Annals of the American Association of Geographers 106(1): 145-166.
- Bickerstaff, K., Hinton, E. & Bulkeley, H.A. (2016). Decarbonisation at home: the contingent politics of experimental domestic energy technologies. Environment and Planning A 48(10): 2006-2025.
- Powells, Gareth, Bell, Sandra, Judson, Ellis P., Lyon, Stephen M., Wardle, Robin , Capova, Klara Anna & Bulkeley, Harriet (2016). Fostering active network management through SMEs’practises. Energy Efficiency 9(3): 591-604.
- Bulkeley, H.A., McGuirk, P. & Dowling, R. (2016). Making a Smart City for the Smart Grid? The urban material politics of actualising smart electricity networks. Environment and Planning A 48(9): 1709-1726.
- Bulkeley, H., Powells, G. & Bell, S. (2016). Smart grids and the constitution of solar electricity conduct. Environment and Planning A 48(1): 7-23.
- Bulkeley, H., Coenen, L., Frantzeskaki, N., Hartmann, C., Kronsell, A., Mai, L., Marvin, S., McCormick, K., van Steenbergen, F. & Voytenko Palgan, Y. (2016). Urban Living Labs: Governing Urban Sustainability Transitions. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 22: 13-17.
- Newell, P., Bulkeley, H., Turner, K., Shaw, C., Caney, S., Shove, E. & Pidgeon, N. (2015). Governance traps in climate change politics: re-framing the debate in terms of responsibilities and rights. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change 6(6): 535-540.
- McLean, Anthony, Bulkeley, Harriet & Crang, Mike (2015). Negotiating the Urban Smart Grid: Socio-Technical Experimentation in the City of Austin. Urban Studies 53(15): 3246–3263.
- Judson, Ellis P., Bell, Sandra, Bulkeley, Harriet, Powells, Gareth & Lyon, Stephen M. (2015). The co-construction of energy provision and everyday practice: integrating heat pumps in social housing in England. Science & Technology Studies 28(3): 28-53.
- McGuirk, P., Dowling, R., Brennan, C. & Bulkeley, H. (2015). Urban Carbon Governance Experiments: The Role of Australian Local Governments. Geographical Research 53(1): 39-52.
- Bulkeley, H.A., Edwards, Gareth. A.S. & Fuller, Sara (2014). Contesting climate justice in the city: Examining politics and practice in urban climate change experiments. Global Environmental Change 25: 31-40.
- Bulkeley, Harriet, Luque-Ayala, Andrés & Silver, Jonathan (2014). Housing and the (re)configuration of energy provision in Cape Town and São Paulo: Making space for a progressive urban climate politics?. Political Geography 40: 25-34.
- Bulkeley, Harriet, Castán Broto, Vanesa & Maassen, Anne (2014). Low-carbon Transitions and the Reconfiguration of Urban Infrastructure. Urban Studies 51(7): 1471-1486
- Armstrong, A. & Bulkeley, H.A. (2014). Micro-hydro politics: producing and contesting community energy in the North of England. Geoforum 56: 66-76.
- Powells, Gareth, Bulkeley, Harriet, Bell, Sandra & Judson, Ellis (2014). Peak electricity demand and the flexibility of everyday life. Geoforum 55: 43-52.
- McGuirk, Pauline, Bulkeley, Harriet & Dowling, Robyn (2014). Practices, programs and projects of urban carbon governance: Perspectives from the Australian city. Geoforum 52: 137-147.
- McGuirk, Pauline, Dowling, Robyn & Bulkeley, Harriet (2014). Repositioning urban governments? Energy efficiency and Australia’s changing climate and energy governance regimes. Urban Studies 51(13): 2717-2734.
- Dowling, R., McGuirk, P. & Bulkeley, H.A. (2014). Retrofitting cities: Local governance in Sydney, Australia. Cities 38: 18-24.
- Bulkeley, H.A., Carmin, JoAnn, Castán Broto, Vanesa, Edwards, Gareth A.S. & Fuller, Sara (2013). Climate justice and global cities: Mapping the emerging discourses. Global Environmental Change 23(5): 914-925.
- Bulkeley, H. & Castán Broto, V. (2013). Government by experiment? Global cities and the governing of climate change. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 38(3): 361-375.
- Castán Broto, Vanesa & Bulkeley, Harriet (2013). Maintaining Climate Change Experiments: Urban Political Ecology and the Everyday Reconfiguration of Urban Infrastructure. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 37(6): 1934-1948.
- Bulkeley, H.A. & Betsill, M.M. (2013). Revisiting the urban politics of climate change. Environmental Politics 22(1): 136-154.
- Hodson, Michael, Marvin, Simon & Bulkeley, Harriet (2013). The Intermediary Organisation of Low Carbon Cities: A Comparative Analysis of Transitions in Greater London and Greater Manchester. Urban Studies 50(7): 1403-1422.
- Bulkeley, H. & Tuts, R. (2013). Understanding urban vulnerability, adaptation and resilience in the context of climate change. Local Environment 18(6): 646-662.
- Castán Broto, V. & Bulkeley, H.A. (2012). A survey of urban climate change experiments in 100 cities. Global Environmental Change 23(1): 92-102.
- Bulkeley, H., Castan Broto, V. & Edwards, G. (2012). Bringing climate change to the city: towards low carbon urbanism?. Local Environment 17(5): 545-551.
- Bulkeley, H. (2012). Governance and the geography of authority: modalities of authorisation and the transnational governing of climate change. Environment and Planning A 44(10): 2428-2444.
- Bulkeley, H., Andonova, L., Backstrand, K., Betsill, M., Compagnon, D., Duffy, R., Kolk, A., Hoffman, M., Levy, D., Newell, P., Milledge, T., Paterson, M., Pattberg, P. & VanDeveer, S. (2012). Governing climate change transnationally: assessing the evidence from a database of sixty initiatives. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 30(4): 591-612.
- Biermann, F., Abbott, K., Andresen, S., Backstrand, K., Bernstein, S., Betsill, M.M., Bulkeley, H., Cashore, B., Clapp, J., Folke, C., Gupta, A., Gupta, J, Haas, P.M., Jordan, A., Kanie, N., Kluvankova-Oravska, T., Lebel, L., Liverman, D., Meadowcroft, J., Mitchell, R.B., Newell, P., Oberthur, S., Olsson, L., Pattberg, P., Sanchez-Rodriguez, R., Schroeder, H., Underdal, A., Camargo Vieira, S., Vogel, C., Young, O.R., Brock, A. & Zondervan, R. (2012). Transforming governance and institutions for global sustainability: key insights from the Earth System Governance Project. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 4(1): 51.
- Bulkeley, H. & Jordan, A. (2012). Transnational environmental governance new findings and emerging research agendas. Environment and Planning C Government and Policy 30(4): 556-570.
- Bulkeley, H. & Castan-Broto, V. (2012). Urban experiments and climate change: securing zero carbon development in Bangalore. Contemporary Social Science 1-21.
- Bulkeley, H. & Schroeder, H. (2011). Beyond State/Non-State Divides: global cities and the governing of climate change. European Journal of International Relations 18(4): 741-764.
- Bulkeley, H. (2010). Cities and the governing of climate change. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 35: 229-253.
- Bulkeley, H. (2010). Climate policy and governance: an editorial essay. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change 1(3): 311-313.
- Lovell, H., Bulkeley, H. & Liverman, D. (2009). Carbon offsetting: sustaining consumption?. Environment and Planning A 41(10): 2357-2379.
- Kern, K. & Bulkeley, H. (2009). Cities, Europeanization and Multi-level Governance: Governing Climate Change through Transnational Municipal Networks. JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies 47(2): 309-332.
- Okereke, C., Bulkeley, H. & Schroeder, H. (2009). Conceptualizing Climate Governance Beyond the International Regime. Global Environmental Politics 9(1): 58-78.
- Bulkeley, H. & Gregson, N. (2009). Crossing the threshold: municipal waste policy and household waste generation. Environment and Planning A 41(4): 929-945.
- Schroeder, H. & Bulkeley, H. (2009). Global cities and the governance of climate change: what is the role of law in cities?. Fordham Urban Law Journal XXXVI(2): 313-359.
- Bickerstaff, K., Bulkeley, H. & Painter, J. (2009). Symposium: Justice, nature and the city. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 33(3): 591-600.
- Andonova, L.M., Betsil, M.M. & Bulkeley. H. (2009). Transnational Climate Governance. Global Environmental Politics 9(2): 52-73.
- Bulkeley, H. & Askins, K. (2009). Waste interfaces: biodegradable waste, municipal policy and everyday practice. Geographical Journal 175(4): 251-260.
- Petts, J., Owens, S. & Bulkeley, H. (2008). Crossing boundaries: interdisciplinarity inthe context of urban environments. Geoforum 39(2): 593-601.
- Watson, M., Bulkeley, H. & Hudson, R. (2008). Unpicking environmental policy integration with tales from waste management. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 26(3): 481-498.
- Betsill, M. & Bulkeley, H. (2007). Looking back and thinking ahead: a decade of cities and climate change research. Local Environment 12(5): 447-456.
- Bulkeley, H., Watson, M. & Hudson, R. (2007). Modes of governing municipal waste. Environment and Planning A 39(11): 2733-2753.
- Bulkeley, H. & Moser, S.C. (2007). Responding to climate change: governance and social action beyond kyoto. Global Environmental Politics 7(2): 1-10.
- Bulkeley, H. (2006). A changing climate for spatial planning? Planning Theory and Practice 7(2): 203-214.
- Owens, S., Petts, J. & Bulkeley, H. (2006). Editorial - Boundary work: knowledge, policy and the urban environment. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 24: 633-643.
- Walker, G. & Bulkeley, H. (2006). Editorial - Geographies of Environmental Justice. Geoforum 37(5): 655-659.
- Bulkeley, H. & Kern, L. (2006). Local government and climate change governance in the UK and Germany. Urban Studies 43(12): 2237-2259.
- Bulkeley, H. & Walker, G. (2005). Environmental Justice: A New Agenda for the UK. Local Enviroment 10(4): 329-332.
- Bulkeley, H., Watson, M., Hudson, R. & Weaver, P. (2005). Governing Municipal Waste: Towards a New Analytical Framework. Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning 7(1): 1-23.
- Watson, M. & Bulkeley, H. A. (2005). Just Waste? Municipal waste management and the politics of environmental justice. Local Environment 10(4): 411-426.
- Bulkeley, H. (2005). Reconfiguring environmental governance: Towards a politics of scales and networks. Political Geography 24(8): 875-902.
- Bulkeley, H. & Betsill, M. (2005). Rethinking sustainable cities: multilevel governance and the 'urban' politics of climate change. Environmental Politics 14(1): 42-63.
- Bulkeley, H. (2001). Governing climate change: the politics of risk society?. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 26(4): 430-447.
- Mr Muhammad Huq
- Ms Leonie Tuitjer
- Mr Erwin Nugraha
- Ms Jaya Klara Brekke
- Ms Patrycja Dlugosz-Stroetges
- Mr Mohd Muzzammil
- Miss Clair Cooper
- 2013: The Climate Crunch (£11978.40 from ESRC)
- 2012: Urban Low Carbon Transitions: A Comparative International Network - Australia, China, India, South Africa, US and UK (£25356.60 from ESRC)
- 2011: Customer Led Network Revolution (£307652.54 from Ofgem (Low Carbon Network Energy Fund))
- 2012: EPSRC Impact Award 2011 - Assessing energy vulnerability and equity at the community-scale: developing lessons with communities and stakeholders (£9930.00 from Epsrc)
- 2011: Assessing potential for socially just low carbon communities (£7914.91 from Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust)
- 2011: Customer Led Network Revolution (£1898918.24 from Ofgem (Low Carbon Network Energy Fund))
- 2010: Governing climate change in urban centres - International Fellowship (£5032.45 from ESRC)
- 2009: Carbon cntrol and comfort version 2 (£6543.00 from ESRC)
- 2009: Carbon control and comfort: User centred control systems for comfort, carbon saving and energy management (£6543.00 from Epsrc)
- 2009: InCluSEV (£48533.93 from Epsrc)
- 2008: PHILIP LEVERHULME PRIZE (£70000.00 from The Leverhulme Trust)
- 2008: TRANSNATIONAL CLIMATE CHANGE (£96374.00 from The Leverhulme Trust)
- 2008: URBAN TRANSITIONS: CLIMATE CHANGE (£384025.20 from ESRC)
- 2008: Urban Research Symposium - Research in the Cluster 3: Role of institutions, governance and urban planning (£7677.19 from The World Bank)
- 2007: SHOWER FLOW RESTRICTOR STUDY (£11628.00 from )
- 2007: SOLAR CITIES IN EUROPE (£70530.00 from Sanyo Europe Ltd)
- 2006: TYNDALL CONSULTANCY (£14922.00 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2005: GOVERNING CLIMATE CHANGE (£3000.00 from Royal Geographical Society)
- 2003: GOVERNING CLIMATE CHANGE IN THE UK AND GERMANY (£1850.00 from Anglo-German Foundation)
- 2003: GOVERNING SUSTAINABLE WASTE MANAGEMENT (£99955.00 from H J Banks & Company Ltd)
- 2003: OPEN MEETING OF THE HUMAN DIMENSIONS (£565.00 from The British Academy)