Professor Simon Hogg, BSc PhD CEng FIMechE
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Simon Hogg returned to academia from industry in January 2010. He holds the Ørsted Chair in Renewable Energy at the University and is also the Executive Director of the Durham Energy Institute (https://www.dur.ac.uk/dei/). He is a mechanical engineer with research interests in the general areas of power generation conventional steam and gas turbine plant, wind turbines, energy systems and waste heat recovery. He the Principal Investigator of the EPRSC Future Conventional Power Research Consortium (Cambridge, Durham, Edinburgh, Leeds & Oxford Universities), which is considering the effect of the change in power mix from the growth of wind on the flexible operating requirements for conventional steam and gas power plant. He is also the Durham University lead member on the Executive Management Team of the EPSRC Supergen Wind Hub (Cranfield, Durham, Loughborough, Manchester, STFC & Strathclyde Universities). This is one of the EPSRC’s Supergen research coordination organisations, focusing on the UK academic contribution to wind power research in this case.
Simon graduated with a BSc and PhD from University of Manchester. His PhD study was funded by Rolls Royce and concerned developing computational fluid dynamics codes for designing gas turbine combustors. He held University posts at Oxford (Rolls Royce funded Research Fellow) and then Leicester (University Lecturer) Universities for the 10 years following completion of his PhD. He then moved into the power generation equipment supply industry joining Alstom’s power generation division in 1998. He worked first in Steam Turbine R&D as a group leader and R&D project manager. In 2003 he moved into Alstom’s Steam Turbine Retrofit Business where he held senior management/technical leadership positions in technical sales and order engineering, eventually becoming Engineering Director in 2007.
Simon is a Chartered Engineer and Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
Department of Engineering
Durham Energy Institute
- Power generation turbomachinery
- Wind power
- MacCalman, James, Hogg, Simon & Ingram, Grant (2018), Application of fluidic curtains to turbine rotor tip seal geometries, ASME Turbo Expo 2018. Lillestrøm, Norway, ASME, V008T29A017.
- Messenger, Andrew,, Williams, Richard,, Ingram, Grant,, Hogg Simon,, Tibos, Stacie,, Seaton, Jon, & Charnley, Bernard (2017), Demonstration of a Dynamic Clearance Seal in a Rotating Test Facility, ASME Turbo Expo 2017,. Charlotte, NC, USA,, Paper No. GT2017-64285.
- MacCalman, James,, Hogg, Simon Hogg,, Ingram, Grant,, Williams, Richard, & Tibos, Stacie (2017), Using Fluidic Curtains to Reduce Turbine Leakage, ISABE 2017. Manchester, UK, ISABE-2017-22588.
- Messenger, Andrew, Williams, Richard, Ingram, Grant, Hogg, Simon, Tibos, Stacie & Seaton, Jon (2015), A Dynamic Clearance Seal for Steam Turbine Application, 8: ASME Turbo Expo 2015: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Montreal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), New York, V008T26A031.
- Hilfer, Michael, Hogg, Simon & Ingram, Grant (2015), Experimental Validation of a Curtain Type Fluidic Jet Seal on a Turbine Rotor Shroud, 5C: ASME Turbo Expo 2015: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Montreal, Canada, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), New York, V05CT15A012.
- Burton, Zoe, Ingram, Grant & Hogg, Simon (2013), A Generic Steam Turbine Exhaust Diffuser with Tip Leakage Modelling and Non-Uniform Hood Outlet, The 10th European Conference on Turbomachinery Fluid Dynamics and Thermodynamics ETC 10. Lappeenranta, Finland, Lappeenranta.
- Burton, Zoe, Ingram, Grant & Hogg, Simon (2013), A Novel Method of Coupling the Steam Turbine Exhaust Hood and the Last Stage Blades Using the Non-Linear Harmonic Method, 5B: ASME Turbo Expo 2013: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition. San Antonio, USA, ASME, San Antonio TX, V05BT25A006.
- Auld, Alison, Hilfer, Michael, Hogg, Simon, Ingram, Grant & Messenger, Andrew (2013), Application of an Air-Curtain Fluidic Jet Type Seal to Reduce Turbine Shroud Leakage, 3A: ASME Turbo Expo 2013. San Antonio, USA, ASME, San Antonio TX, V03AT15A005.
- Williams, R.J., Crabtree, C.J. & Hogg, S.I. (2013), Offshore Wind Farm Asset Management: Past Experiences and Future Challenges, 8: ASME Turbo Expo 2013: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition. San Antonio, USA, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), New York, V008T44A012.
- Kazemtabrizi, B., Crabtree, C.J. & Hogg, S.I. (2013), Reliability Evaluation of New Offshore Wind Farm Electrical Grid Connection Topologies, 8: ASME Turbo Expo 2013: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition. San Antonio, USA, ASME, New York, V008T44A008.
- Burton, Zoe, Ingram, Grant & Hogg, Simon (2012), A Generic Low Pressure Exhaust Diffuser for Steam Turbine Research, GT2012-68485: ASME Turbo Expo 2012. Copenhagen, Denmark, ASME, Copenhagen.
- Hilfer, Michael, Ingram, Grant & Hogg, Simon (2012), Endwall Profiling With Tip Clearance Flows, GT2012-68488: ASME Turbo Expo 2012. Copenhagen, Denmark, Copenhagen, 1099.
- Auld, A., Berson, A., & Hogg, S.I (2012), Organic Rankine Cycles in Waste Heat Recovery: A Comparative Study, HPC700: Heated Power Cycles. ECN The Netherlands, ECN.
- Hogg, S.I. & Gomez Ruiz, I. (2011), Fluidic Jet Barriers For Sealing Applications, GT2011-45353: ASME Turbo Expo 2011. Vancouver, Canada, ASME, Vancouver, British Columbia, 779-788.
- Jamie McIntosh, Richard MacPherson, Grant Ingram & Simon Hogg (2011), PROFILED ENDWALL DESIGN USING GENETIC ALGORITHMS WITH DIFFERENT OBJECTIVE FUNCTIONS, 7: Turbomachinery, Parts A, B, and C : ASME 2011 Turbo Expo: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, ASME, Vancouver, British Columbia, 2393-2405
- Bridge, R., Azad, T. & Hogg, S.I. (2010), Integrated Steam Turbine Retrofits for Nuclear Applications – A Case Study, PowerGen Europe 2010. Amsterdam, Amsterdam.
- Littlewood, D.M. & Hogg, S.I (2008), Compact diaphragm turbine technology and its first application in a turbine retrofit, Proceedings of the ASME Power Conference 2008. Orlando, Orlando FL, 317-323.
- Hogg, S.I & Stephen, D. (2005), ALSTOM-CPS San Antonio Retrofit of JK Spruce Unit 1 HP-IP Turbine – An Example of an Advanced Steam Turbine Upgrade for Improved Performance by a Non-OEM Supplier, ASME Power 2005. Chicago, USA., Chicago IL.
- Hogg, S.I. (2005), Conversion to Partial Arc Admission when Retrofitting Steam Turbine Power Plant – Unlocking Additional Performance at Part-Load Conditions’, IMechE Seminar on Rerofitting Steam Power Generation Plant. London, I.Mech.E, London.
- Kearney, P.J., Hogg, S.I. & Brown, R.D (2004), Performance Guarantee and Testing of Steam Turbine Retrofits, ASME Power 2004. Baltimore, USA, Baltimore MD.
- Hesketh, A., Hogg, S.I. & Stephen, D (2003), A Stage Efficiency Prediction Method and Related Performance Aspects of Retrofits on Disc/Diaphragm Steam Turbines, ASME Int. Joint Power Generation Conf. Atlanta, USA, Atlanta GA.
- Owen, A.K., Jones, T.V., Guo, S.M. & Hogg, S.I. (2003), An Eperimental and Theoretical Study of Brush Seal Shaft Thermal Distortion, ASME Turbo Expo. Atlanta, USA, Atlanta GA.
- Hogg, S.I. (2003), Brush Seals in Steam Turbine Power Plant, Charles Parsons Conference. Dublin, Ireland, Dublin.
- Stephen, D. & Hogg, S.I (2003), Development of Brush Seal Technology for Steam Turbine Retrofit Applications, ASME Int. Joint Power Generation Conf. Atlanta, USA, Atlanta GA.
- Hogg, S.I., Gostelow, J.P. & Carscallen, W.E. (1999), Direct Measurement of Energy Separation in Vortical Trailing Edge Wake Flows using a New Wide Bandwisth Total Temperature Probe, XIV biennial Symp. on Measurement Techniques in Turbomachines. Limerick, Ireland, Limerick.
- O’Neill, A.T., Hogg, S.I., Wither, P.A., Turner, M.T. & Jones, T.V. (1997), Multiple Brush Seals in Series, ASME Gas Turbine Conference. Orlando, USA, Orlando FL.
- Carscallen, W.E., Hogg, S.I., Gostelow, J.P. & Buttsworth, D.R. (1997), Time Resolved Measurements of the Energy Separation Process in a Transonic Turbine Vane Wake Flow, AGARD Advanced Aerodynamic Measurement Technology. Seattle, USA, Seattle WA.
- Hughes, S.J. & Hogg, S.I. (1995), An Experimental Evaluation of Air-Lubricated Bearings in a Jet Engine Environment, 12th Int. Symp. on Air Breathing Engines. Melbourne, Australia, Melbourne.
- Hilditch, M.A., Fowler, A., Jones, T.V., Chana, K.S., Oldfield, M.L.G., Ainsworth, R.W., Hogg, S.I., Anderson, S.J. & Smith G.C. (1994), Installation of a Turbine Stage in the Pyestock Isentropic Light Piston Facility, ASME Gas Turbine Conference. The Hague, Netherlands, The Hague.
- Hogg, S.I., Hughes, S.J. & Jones T.V. (1991), A test facility for the Study of the Thermofluids-Dynamics of Gas Bearing Lubrication Films, 10th Int. Symp. on Air Breathing Engines. Nottingham, UK, Nottingham.
- Hogg, S.I. & Leschziner, M.A. (1989), Computation of Strongly-Swirling Reacting Flow in a Model Combustor with Second-Moment Closure, 7th Int. Symp. on Turbulent Shear Flows. Stanford, USA, Stanford CA.
- Hogg, S.I. & Leschziner, M.A. (1989), Second-Moment Computations of Strongly-Swirling Reacting Flow in a Model Combustor, Lecture Notes in Physics 351: 3rd Int. Conf. on Numerical Combustion. Antibes, France., Springer-Verlag, Antibes, 338-352.
- Hogg, S.I., Jones, T.V., Baker, A. & Withers, P. (1989), Two-Dimensional Effects in Gas Dynamic Journal Bearings”, Proc. 9th Int. Symp. on Air Breathing Engines, 9th Int. Symp. on Air Breathing Engines. Athens, Greece., Athens.
- Hogg, Simon & Crabtree, Christopher (2016). UK Wind Energy Technologies. Routledge.
- Burton, Zoe, Ingram, Grant & Hogg, Simon (2015). Efficient Methods for Predicting Low Pressure Steam Turbine Exhaust Hood and Diffuser Flows at Design and Off-Design Conditions. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 137(8): 082601.
- Adams, Charlotte, Auld, Alison, Gluyas, Jon & Hogg, Simon Ian (2015). Geothermal Energy – the Global Opportunity. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy 229(7): 747-754.
- Crabtree, C. J., Zappalá, D. & Hogg, S. I. (2015). Wind Energy: UK Experiences and Offshore Operational Challenges. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy 229(7): 727-746.
- Auld, Alison, Hogg, Simon, Berson, Arganthael & Gluyas, Jon (2014). Power production via North Sea Hot Brines. Energy 78: 674-684.
- Burton, Zoe, Ingram, Grant & Hogg, Simon (2014). The influence of condenser pressure variation and tip leakage on low pressure steam turbine exhaust hood flows. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A: Journal of Power and Energy 228(4): 370-379.
- Burton, Zoe, Hogg, Simon & Ingram, Grant (2014). The Influence of Inlet Asymmetry on Steam Turbine Exhaust Hood Flows. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 136(4): 042602.
- Burton, Zoe, Ingram, Grant & Hogg, Simon (2013). A Literature Review of Low Pressure Steam Turbine Exhaust Hood and Diffuser Studies. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 135(6): 062001.
- Auld, Alison, Berson, Arganthaël & Hogg, Simon I. (2013). Organic Rankine cycles in waste heat recovery: a comparative study. International Journal of Low-Carbon Technologies 8(Supplement 1): 9-18.
- Cao, C., Chew, J.W., Millington, P.R. & Hogg, S.I. (2004). Interaction of Rim Seal and Annulus Flows in an Axial Flow Turbine. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 126(4): 786-793.
- Carscallen, W.E., Currie, T.C., Hogg, S.I. & Gostelow, J.P. (1999). Measurement and Computation of Energy Separation in the Vortical Wake Flow of a Turbine Nozzle Cascade. Journal of Turbomachinery 121(4): 703-708.
- Chew, J.W. & Hogg, S.I (1997). Porosity Modelling of Brush Seals. Journal of Tribology 119(4): 769-775.
- Hughes, S.J., Hogg, S.I. & Jones, T.V. (1996). A Comparison between Predicted and Measured Performance of a Gas Dynamic Thrust Bearing. Journal of Tribology 118(2): 449-456.
- Hogg, S.I. & Leschziner, M.A. (1989). Computations of Highly Swirling Confined Flow with a Reynolds Stress Turbulence Model. AIAA Journal 27(1): 57-63.
- Hogg, S.I. & Leschziner, M.A. (1989). Second-Moment-Closure Calculations of Strongly Swirling Confined Flow with Large Density Gradient. Int. J. Heat & Fluid Flow 10(1): 16-27.
- Hogg, S.I. & Launder, B.E. (1985). Three Dimensional Turbulent Corner Wall Jet. Aeronautical Journal -New Series- 89(885): 167-171.
- Hogg, S.I. & Hilfer, M. (2013). A Seal Assembly. GB1309769.6. Application filed: 31 May 2013. Granted: 30 November 1999
- Hogg, S.I. (2012). Sealing Device For Reducing Fluid Leakage in Turbine Apparatus. PCT/GB2011/051892. Application filed: 5 October 2011. Granted: 26 April 2012
- Hogg,S.I., & Urlichs, K., (2005). Sealing arrangement using brush seals. GB2393766-A WO2004031627-A1 AU2003283439-A1 DE10393433-T5 US2005206087-A1 US7559554-B2. Application filed: 4 April 2005. Granted: 22 September 2005
- Hogg, S.I., , Rhodes, N.A., & Schoenfeld, E. (2004). Process for producing leaves for leaf seal. GB2413602-A WO2005103536-A1 EP1740857-A1 CN1946958-A US2007261225-A1 GB2413602-B US7487588-B2 CN101691889-A CN1946958-B. Application filed: 26 April 2004. Granted: 3 November 2005
- Hogg S.I. (2004). Sealing arrangement in turbine machinery. US2005194745-A1 GB2411931-A DE102005009402-A1. Application filed: 8 March 2004. Granted: 8 September 2005
- Hogg, S.I., & Walker, P.J. (2004). Sealing arrangement using flexible seals. US2005104300-A1 DE102004049117-A1. Application filed: 14 October 2004. Granted: 19 May 2005
- Hogg, S.I., (2002). Brush seal with angled bristles. GB2393223-A. Application filed: 18 September 2002. Granted: 24 March 2004
Available for media contact about:
- Energy: Wind Power
- Mechanics: Wind Power
- Renewable energy: Wind Power
- Industry: Engineering, manufacturing: Power generation turbomachinery
- Energy: Power generation turbomachinery
- Mechanics: Power generation turbomachinery
- Ms Dan Li
- Mr James Maccalman
- Mr Pedro Martinez-castro
- Mr Carlos Rasgado-moreno
- Mr Josue Alvarez-lares
- 2014: EPSRC Supergen Wind Hub (£224262.00 from Epsrc)
- 2010: Supergen Wind Energy Technologies-Core, Towards the Offshore Wind Power Station (£728132.46 from Epsrc)