Prof Simon Mathias
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
2019 – to date — Professor of Environmental Engineering, Durham University.
2017 – 2019 — Professor of Computational Geoscience, Durham University.
2017 – to date — Senior Fellow of The Higher Education Academy.
2011 – 2017 — Reader in Computational Geoscience, Durham University.
2009 – 2011 — Lecturer in Geoscience, Durham University.
2007 – 2009 — WorleyParsons Lecturer of Environmental Engineering, Imperial College London.
2003 – 2007 — Research Fellow, Imperial College London.
2001 – 2005 — PhD in Civil Engineering, Imperial College London.
2000 – 2003 — Civil Engineer, Royal Haskoning.
1999 – 2000 — MSc in Water Resources Technology and Management, University of Birmingham.
1995 – 1999 — MEng in Civil Engineering, University College London
Associate Editor for Transport in Porous Media
Associate Editor for Journal of Hydrology
Department of Earth Sciences
- Climate and Environmental Change
- Geoenergy, Resources and Waste
- The Solid Earth
- Jayeoba, Ayodeji, Mathias, Simon A., Nielsen, Stefan, Vilarrasa, Victor & Bjørnarå, Tore I. (2019). Closed-form equation for subsidence due to fluid production from a cylindrical confined aquifer. Journal of Hydrology 573: 964-969.
- Mathias, Simon A., Nielsen, Stefan & Ward, Rebecca L. (2019). Storage Coefficients and Permeability Functions for Coal-Bed Methane Production Under Uniaxial Strain Conditions. Transport in Porous Media 130(2): 627-636.
- Kelly, Helena L. & Mathias, Simon A. (2018). Capillary processes increase salt precipitation during CO2 injection in saline formations. Journal of fluid mechanics 852: 398-421.
- Hardwick, J.S. & Mathias, S.A. (2018). Masuda's sandstone core hydrate dissociation experiment revisited. Chemical Engineering Science 175: 98-109.
- Mathias, Simon A., Sorensen, James P.R. & Butler, Adrian P. (2017). Soil moisture data as a constraint for groundwater recharge estimation. Journal of Hydrology 552: 258-266.
- Mathias, S.A., McIntyre, N. & Oughton, R.H. (2016). A study of non-linearity in rainfall-runoff response using 120 UK catchments. Journal of Hydrology 540: 423-436.
- Mathias, S.A., Skaggs, T.H., Quinn, S.A., Egan, N.C., Finch, L.E. & Oldham, C.D. (2015). A soil moisture accounting-procedure with a Richards' equation-based soil texture-dependent parameterization. Water Resources Research 51(1): 506-523.
- Mathias, S.A., Gluyas, J.G., Goldthorpe, W.H. & Mackay, E.J. (2015). Impact of maximum allowable cost on CO2 storage capacity in saline formations. Environmental Science and Technology 49(22): 13510–13518.
- Mathias, S.A., McElwaine, J.N. & Gluyas, J.G. (2014). Heat transport and pressure buildup during carbon dioxide injection into depleted gas reservoirs. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 756: 89-109.
- Mathias, S.A. & Roberts, A.W. (2013). A Lambert W function solution for estimating sustainable injection rates for storage of CO2 in brine aquifers. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 17: 546-548.
- Mathias, S.A., Gluyas, J.G., Mackay, E.J. & Goldthorpe, W.H. (2013). A statistical analysis of well production rates from UK oil and gas fields – Implications for carbon capture and storage. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 19: 510-518.
- Mathias, S.A., Gluyas, J.G., González Martínez de Miguel, G.J. & Hosseini, S.A. (2011). Role of partial miscibility on pressure buildup due to constant rate injection of CO2 into closed and open brine aquifers. Water Resources Research 47(12): W12525.
- Mathias, SA, Gluyas, JG, Oldenburg, CM & Tsang, CF (2010). Analytical solution for Joule-Thomson cooling during CO2 geo-sequestration in depleted oil and gas reservoirs. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 4: 806-810.
- Mathias, SA & Todman, LC (2010). Step-drawdown tests and the Forchheimer equation. Water Resources Research 46: W07514.
- Mathias, SA & van Reeuwijk, M (2009). Hydraulic fracture propagation with 3-D leak-off. Transport in Porous Media 80(3): 1573-1634.
- Mathias, SA & Butler, AP (2006). An improvement on Hvorslev's shape factors. Geotechnique 56(10): 705-706.
- Mathias, S.A. & Zimmerman, R.W. (2003). Laplace transform inversion for late-time behavior of groundwater flow problems. Water Resources Research 39(10): 1283.
- 2019: Managed aquifer recharge with check dams to increase water availability in Botswana (£7040.00 from Academy of Medical Sciences)
- 2016: Numerical Earth Science Modelling short course - 2nd (£29970.00 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2016: Numerical modelling short course for postgraduate students (3rd) (£32541.00 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2012: RF050164: Prediction of compartmentalisation in brine aquifers, The Crown Estate, £64623.00, 2012-11-01 - 2013-10-31
- 2012: RF050173: Numerical investigations of CO2 storage in depleted gas reservoirs, Centrica Energy, £188695.79, 2012-03-01 - 2014-02-28
- 2012: RF050174: Numerical investigations of enhanced methane recovery by CO2 injection in depleted gas reservoirs, Centrica plc, £181375.93, 2012-07-01 - 2016-06-30.
- 2010: KTP - Equipoise Solutions Ltd (£174489.00 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2010: Quantifying and Monitoring Potential Ecosystem Impacts of Geological Carbon Storage (QICS) (£8241.00 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2010: RF050126: On the role of fluvial channel structure concerning injectivity in brine aquifers., The Crown Estate, £97396.87, 2010-10-01 - 2011-10-31
- 2009: UK CO2 storage capacity Appraisal: Risk and integrity analysis (£82707.00 from Energy Technologies Institute)