Dr Paige Tovey
Paige Tovey was the holder of a MHRA Research Associateship awarded to the Department from 1 October 2010 to 30 September 2012 to work, under the direction of Professor Michael O'Neill, on The Prose of Percy Bysshe Shelley: 1818-1822, ed. Michael O'Neill and Timothy Webb, an edition of Shelley's later prose which is contracted to Oxford University Press. She continues to work with Professor O'Neill on the Shelley Prose project.
Teaching and Research Interests
Paige Tovey's primary research interests are: British Romanticism and Romantic legacies, American literature, transatlanticism, poetry and poetics, and manuscript editing. She has taught a range of subjects, including Literature of the Romantic Period, Introduction to Poetry (the Metaphysical Poets and Milton), Shakespeare, and American Poetry. Her first monograph, entitled The Transatlantic Eco-Romanticism of Gary Snyder (Palgrave, Dec. 2013), examines Romantic (including American Transcendentalist) legacies in the poetry of Gary Snyder. It traces connections and conversations between Snyder and his Romantic predecessors, especially Wordsworth, Blake, Shelley, Emerson and Thoreau, and it seeks to demonstrate the workings of what Snyder himself calls ‘cross-fertilizations’.
Chapter in book
- Tovey, Paige (2012). ' "Betwixt love and knowledge": Byron's Poetic Pendulum'. In Byron's Poetry. Cochran, Peter Cambridge Scholars Press.
- O'Neill, Michael & Tovey, Paige (2012). 'Shelley, Spenser, and Pope'. In The Oxford Handbook to Shelley Studies. O'Neill, Michael & Howe, Anthony Oxford University Press.
- Tovey, Paige (2012). 'The Measured Chaos of Gary Snyder's Post-Romantic Poetic Form'. In Romantic Presences in the Twentieth Century. Sandy, Mark Ashgate. 73-87.
- Hoeveler, Diane & Tovey, Paige (2012). 'The Prose of Percy Bysshe Shelley'. In The Encyclopedia of Romantic Literature. Burwick, Frederick Wiley-Blackwell.
- Tovey, Paige (2012). 'Shelley and the Italian City-State'. The Wordsworth Circle: A Journal of Romantic Studies 43(2): 103-106.
- Tovey, Paige (2013). The Transatlantic Eco-Romanticism of Gary Snyder. Palgrave Macmillan.