Dr Susan Lewis, PhD
Sue Lewis is a Senior Research Associate in the Department of Geography. After an undergraduate degree in the History (and anthropology) of Art, she completed a Masters (University of Kent) and PhD (University of St Andrews) in social anthropology. Her doctoral thesis focused on the performance of cultural identity in the Isle of Man. A post-doctoral position helping to evaluate a Big Lottery-funded health initiative in Scotland – more than two years spent “embedded” with the delivery team – shifted focus to the social anthropology of health. She has since worked on a range of projects with public health organisations and in communities across the North East of England. Examples include: a collaborative project with the first office for tobacco control in the UK, understanding young people’s risky health behaviours, and co-producing solutions to "altered eating" with survivors of head and neck cancer. Currently, she is working on a national NIHR School for Public Health Research project to understand the impact of community control on health and wellbeing (see http://sphr.nihr.ac.uk/health-inequalities/home/) and an ESRC-funded project on the urban politics of social innovation (http://community.dur.ac.uk/pursi/).
Before entering Higher Education as a mature student, Sue worked in the IT industry as a software support consultant and trainer, specialising in accounting software. In her spare time, she tries to find the novel that is supposed to be somewhere inside her ... and sings a bit.
Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing
- Applied Health Research Special Interest Group
- Culinary Innovation, the Senses and Health Special Interest Group
Department of Anthropology
Department of Geography
- Communities in Control Study (Phase 1), SPHR, £191,280 (01/2014 - 12/2015)
- School for Public Health Research, £180,000
- Lewis S. (Forthcoming). An Anthology of Manx Satirical and Self-Ironic Poetry. Douglas, Isle of Man: Manx Heritage Foundation.
Chapter in book
- Lewis, S. (2012). Thalloo my Vea: Narrating the landscapes of life in the Isle of Man. In Landscapes Beyond Land: Routes, Aesthetics, Narratives (EASA Series). Arnason, A., Ellison, N., Vergunst, J. & Whitehouse, A. Oxford.: Berghahn. 19.
- Lewis, S. (2012). Very British Tradition? Irony, Irreverence, and Identity in Manx Political Satire. In Islands and Britishness: A Global Perspective. Matthews, J. & Travers, D. Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Lewis S. (2011). The Manx. In Ethnic Groups of Europe. Cole J. Santa Barbara CA: ABC-Clio. 349.
- Lewis, S. (2006). Manx literature in English: 20th-century satirical poetry. In Celtic Culture: A Historical Encyclopedia. Koch, J. Santa Barbara, CA.: ABC-CLIO. 4.: 1256.
- Lewis, S. (2006). Webs of Significance: Perceiving an Island through a Network of Images and Text. In Managing Island Life: Social, Economic and Political Dimensions of Formality and Informality in 'Island' Communities. Skinner, J. & Hills, M. Abertay, Dundee.: University of Abertay Press. 61-75.
- Lewis, S. (2002). National Day: Achieving Collective Identity in the Isle of Man. In British Subjects: An Anthropology of the British Isles. Rapport, N. Oxford.: Berg. 49-66.
- Lewis, S. (2004). Roots of / Routes to: Practice and Performance of Identity in the Isle of Man. University of St Andrews. PhD.
- Orton, Lois, Halliday, Emma, Collins, Michelle, Egan, Matt, Lewis, Sue, Ponsford, Ruth, Powell, Katie, Salway, Sarah, Townsend, Anne, Whitehead, Margaret & Popay, Jennie (2017). Putting context centre stage: evidence from a systems evaluation of an area based empowerment initiative in England. Critical Public Health 27(4): 477-489.
- Carro-Ripalda, S., Russell, A.J., Lewis, S. & Heckler, S. (2013). The making and changing of smoking persons in public health policy and practice: Ethnography of a world-first illicit tobacco program. Contemporary Drug Problems 40(1): 21-46.
- Lewis, S. & Russell, A. (2013). Young smokers' narratives public health, disadvantage and structural violence. Sociology of health and illness 35(5): 746-760.
- Lewis, S. & Russell, A. (2012). Protecting Children and Young People from Tobacco-Related Harm: A Review. Children & Society
- Lewis, S. & Russell, A. (2011). Being Embedded: A way forward for ethnographic research. Ethnography 12(3): 398-416.
- Lewis S & McMahon S. (2011). Working with Others: An Interdisciplinary Dialogue. Scottish Affairs (75): 62-82.
- Russell, A., Heckler, S., White, M., Sengupta, S., Chappel, D., Hunter, D.J., Mason, J., Milne, E. & Lewis, S. (2009). The evolution of a UK regional tobacco control office in its early years: social contexts and policy dynamics. Health Promotion International 24(3): 262-268.
- Lewis, S (2007). Recipes for Reconnection: Older Women's Perspectives on the Mediating Role of Food in Contemporary Urban Society. Journal of the Slovenian Anthropological Society
- Lewis, S (2007). The Story of Mann and All That: or How Heritage became History Again. Celtic Cultural Studies (5).
- McMahon, S. & Lewis, S. (2006). Dundee Healthy Living Initiative: Project Involvement with NHS Tayside's Health Inequalities Consultation. Journal of Community Work and Development Special Ed..
- Neville, R., Greene, A. C. & Lewis, S. (2006). Patient and Health Care Professional Views and Experiences of Computer Agent Supported Health Care. Informatics in Primary Care 14: 11-15.
- Lewis S. & Holland L. (2007). Local Alliance Toolkit.
- Lewis, S., Charnock Greene, A. & Mukhopadhyay, S. (2006). Dundee Healthy Living Initiative: Research Report.
- Lewis S., Pender A. & Sword E. (2004). Three R’s for the DHLI: Research, Response and Reflection and Their Importance in Joined-Up Working.
- McNeill, A., Bains, M., Bauld, L., Britton, J., Carro-Ripalda, S., Eadle, D., Heckler, S., Hornsby, R., Iringe-Koko, B., Lewis, S., McEwan, A. & Russell, A. (2012). Tackling Illicit Tobacco for Better Health: Final Evaluation Report. UK Centre for Tobacco Control Studies.
- Lewis, S., Russell, A., Matthijsse, M. & Masson, K. (2011). "Revealing alcohol narratives": a qualitative study of young people's relationships with alcohol in County Durham and Darlington.
- Burges-Watson, D. L., Lewis, S. & Buckley, J. (2011). John's cheese sandwich: taking on PPI, with relish.
- McNeill, A., Bauld, L., Britton, J., Carro-Ripalda, S., Eadle, D., Heckler, S., Hornsby, R., Iringe-Koko, B., Lewis, S., McEwen, A. & Russell, A. (2010). North of England Tackling Illicit Tobacco for Better Health, Interim Evaluation Report. UK Centre for Tobacco Control Studies.
- Lewis, S. & Holland, L. (2007). Local Alliance Toolkit. Fresh Smoke North East.
- Lewis, S., Charnock Greene, A. & Mukhopadhyay, S. (2006). Dundee Healthy Living Initiative: Research report.