Dr Susan Lewis, PhD
Sue Lewis is the Qualitative Research Specialist with the Research Design Service. Her undergraduate degree is in the History (and anthropology) of Art, and she completed her PhD in social anthropology at the University of St Andrews; her thesis focused on the performance of cultural identity in the Isle of Man. A post helping to evaluate a health initiative in Scotland – more than two years spent “embedded” into the delivery team – shifted her focus onto the social anthropology of health, and particularly onto new organisational forms in public health and the methodological challenges this work presents. She has since applied her research interests to projects in the North East of England, working, for example, on a collaborative project with the first office for tobacco control in the UK. Sue’s current research focuses on using ethnographic approaches to understand young people’s risky health behaviours and, with colleagues in Anthropology, on projects relating to the public health impact of illicit alcohol and tobacco.
Before entering Higher Education as a mature student, Sue worked in the IT industry as a software support consultant and trainer, specialising in accounting software. In her spare time, she tries to find the novel that is supposed to be somewhere inside her.
Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing
- Applied Health Research Special Interest Group
- Culinary Innovation, the Senses and Health Special Interest Group
Department of Anthropology
Department of Geography
- Communities in Control Study (Phase 1), SPHR, £191,280 (01/2014 - 12/2015)
- School for Public Health Research, £180,000
- Lewis S. (Forthcoming). An Anthology of Manx Satirical and Self-Ironic Poetry. Douglas, Isle of Man: Manx Heritage Foundation.
Chapter in book
- Lewis, S. (2012). Thalloo my Vea: Narrating the landscapes of life in the Isle of Man. In Landscapes Beyond Land: Routes, Aesthetics, Narratives (EASA Series). Arnason, A., Ellison, N., Vergunst, J. & Whitehouse, A. Oxford.: Berghahn. 19.
- Lewis, S. (2012). Very British Tradition? Irony, Irreverence, and Identity in Manx Political Satire. In Islands and Britishness: A Global Perspective. Matthews, J. & Travers, D. Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Lewis S. (2011). The Manx. In Ethnic Groups of Europe. Cole J. Santa Barbara CA: ABC-Clio. 349.
- Lewis, S. (2006). Manx literature in English: 20th-century satirical poetry. In Celtic Culture: A Historical Encyclopedia. Koch, J. Santa Barbara, CA.: ABC-CLIO. 4.: 1256.
- Lewis, S. (2006). Webs of Significance: Perceiving an Island through a Network of Images and Text. In Managing Island Life: Social, Economic and Political Dimensions of Formality and Informality in 'Island' Communities. Skinner, J. & Hills, M. Abertay, Dundee.: University of Abertay Press. 61-75.
- Lewis, S. (2002). National Day: Achieving Collective Identity in the Isle of Man. In British Subjects: An Anthropology of the British Isles. Rapport, N. Oxford.: Berg. 49-66.
- Lewis, S. (2004). Roots of / Routes to: Practice and Performance of Identity in the Isle of Man. University of St Andrews. PhD.
- Orton, Lois, Halliday, Emma, Collins, Michelle, Egan, Matt, Lewis, Sue, Ponsford, Ruth, Powell, Katie, Salway, Sarah, Townsend, Anne, Whitehead, Margaret & Popay, Jennie (2016). Putting context centre stage: evidence from a systems evaluation of an area based empowerment initiative in England. Critical Public Health 1.
- Carro-Ripalda, S., Russell, A.J., Lewis, S. & Heckler, S. (2013). The making and changing of smoking persons in public health policy and practice: Ethnography of a world-first illicit tobacco program. Contemporary Drug Problems 40(1): 21-46.
- Lewis, S. & Russell, A. (2013). Young smokers' narratives public health, disadvantage and structural violence. Sociology of health and illness 35(5): 746-760.
- Lewis, S. & Russell, A. (2012). Protecting Children and Young People from Tobacco-Related Harm: A Review. Children & Society
- Lewis, S. & Russell, A. (2011). Being Embedded: A way forward for ethnographic research. Ethnography 12(3): 398-416.
- Lewis S & McMahon S. (2011). Working with Others: An Interdisciplinary Dialogue. Scottish Affairs (75): 62-82.
- Russell, A., Heckler, S., White, M., Sengupta, S., Chappel, D., Hunter, D.J., Mason, J., Milne, E. & Lewis, S. (2009). The evolution of a UK regional tobacco control office in its early years: social contexts and policy dynamics. Health Promotion International 24(3): 262-268.
- Lewis, S (2007). Recipes for Reconnection: Older Women's Perspectives on the Mediating Role of Food in Contemporary Urban Society. Journal of the Slovenian Anthropological Society
- Lewis, S (2007). The Story of Mann and All That: or How Heritage became History Again. Celtic Cultural Studies (5).
- McMahon, S. & Lewis, S. (2006). Dundee Healthy Living Initiative: Project Involvement with NHS Tayside's Health Inequalities Consultation. Journal of Community Work and Development Special Ed..
- Neville, R., Greene, A. C. & Lewis, S. (2006). Patient and Health Care Professional Views and Experiences of Computer Agent Supported Health Care. Informatics in Primary Care 14: 11-15.
- Lewis S. & Holland L. (2007). Local Alliance Toolkit.
- Lewis, S., Charnock Greene, A. & Mukhopadhyay, S. (2006). Dundee Healthy Living Initiative: Research Report.
- Lewis S., Pender A. & Sword E. (2004). Three R’s for the DHLI: Research, Response and Reflection and Their Importance in Joined-Up Working.
- McNeill, A., Bains, M., Bauld, L., Britton, J., Carro-Ripalda, S., Eadle, D., Heckler, S., Hornsby, R., Iringe-Koko, B., Lewis, S., McEwan, A. & Russell, A. (2012). Tackling Illicit Tobacco for Better Health: Final Evaluation Report. UK Centre for Tobacco Control Studies.
- Lewis, S., Russell, A., Matthijsse, M. & Masson, K. (2011). "Revealing alcohol narratives": a qualitative study of young people's relationships with alcohol in County Durham and Darlington.
- Burges-Watson, D. L., Lewis, S. & Buckley, J. (2011). John's cheese sandwich: taking on PPI, with relish.
- McNeill, A., Bauld, L., Britton, J., Carro-Ripalda, S., Eadle, D., Heckler, S., Hornsby, R., Iringe-Koko, B., Lewis, S., McEwen, A. & Russell, A. (2010). North of England Tackling Illicit Tobacco for Better Health, Interim Evaluation Report. UK Centre for Tobacco Control Studies.
- Lewis, S. & Holland, L. (2007). Local Alliance Toolkit. Fresh Smoke North East.
- Lewis, S., Charnock Greene, A. & Mukhopadhyay, S. (2006). Dundee Healthy Living Initiative: Research report.