Dr Yulia Egorova
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
I received my PhD from the School of Oriental and African Studies in 2003. My research interests include Anthropology of Jewish communities, the social aspects of science and biotechnology, and the relationship between science and religion. In recent years I completed an AHRC-funded project devoted to the Indian Jewish community of the Bene Ephraim of Andhra Pradesh, and a cluster of studies exploring the socio-cultural implications of population genetics with particular reference to South Asia. At the moment I am developing a new project on Jewish-Muslim relations in the UK.
I am the Director of the Centre for the Study of Jewish Culture, Society and Politics. Please visit our web-site at www.durham.ac.uk/jewishstudies.
I am interested in supervising PhD research on the following topics:
- Anthropology of Jewish communities
- Inter-faith and inter-community dialogue
- Anthropology of science and biotechnology
Department of Anthropology
Durham Global Security Institute
Department of Anthropology
- DNA Evidence? Genetic Anthropology and Historical Debate
- The Children of Ephraim: Constructing Jewish Identity in Andhra Pradesh
- Anthropology of Jewish communities
- Anthropology of science
- Jewish-Muslim relations
- Egorova, Y. & Perwez, S. (2013). The Jews of Andhra Pradesh: Contesting Caste and Religion in South India. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Parfitt, T. & Egorova, Y. (2006). Genetics, Mass Media and Identity: A Case Study of the Genetic Research on the Lemba and Bene Israel. London: Routledge.
- Egorova, Y. (2006). Jews and India: Perceptions and Image. London: RoutledgeCurzon.
Chapter in book
- Egorova, Y. & Ahmed, F. (2017). The Impact of Antisemitism and Islamophobia on Jewish-Muslim Relations in the UK: Memory, Experience, Context. In Antisemitism and Islamophobia in Europe: A Shared Story?. Renton, J. & Gidley, B. London: Palgrave Macmillan. 283-301.
- Egorova, Yulia (2014). Terrorists in the village? Negotiating Jewish-Muslim relations in South Asia. In Jews, Christians, Muslims: Collaboration and Conflict in the Age of Diaspora. Gilman, Sander L. Hong Kong University Press. 115-131.
- Egorova, Yulia (2014). The Jews of India. In A History of Jewish-Muslim relations. From the Origins to the Present Day. Medded, A. & Stora, B. Princeton University Press. 999-1002.
- Egorova, Yulia (2014). Theorizing "Jewish Genetics": DNA, Culture, and Historical Narrative. In The Routledge Handbook of Contemporary Jewish Cultures. Valman, N. & Roth, L. Routledge. 353-364.
- Egorova, Y. (2011). DNA, Authentizitat und historisches Gedachtnis. In Biohistorische Anthropologie: Knochen, Korper und DNA in Erinnerungskulturen. Sommer, M. & Kruger, G. Kadmos. 33-54.
- Egorova, Y. (2009). Bene-Israel and Baghdadi Jews in India: Early 20th century. In Encyclopedia of the Jewish Diaspora: origins, experiences and culture. Ehrlich, A. ABC-CLIO. 3.
- Egorova, Y. (2007). Describing the “Other”, Describing the “Self” Jews, Hindu Reformers, and Indian Nationalists. In Indo-Judaic Studies in the Twenty-First Century. Katz, N. et al. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Egorova, Y. (2004). Jewish Topics in the Press of Independent India. In Jews, Muslims and Mass Media: Mediating the ‘Other’. Parfitt, T. & Egorova, Y. London: Curzon.
- Parfitt, T. & Egorova, Y. (2004). Jews, Muslims and Mass Media: Mediating the ‘Other’. London: Routledge.
- Egorova, Yulia (2015). Redefining the Converted Jewish Self: Race, Religion and Israel's Bene Menashe. American Anthropologist 117(3): 493-505.
- Egorova, Yulia (2013). The substance that empowers? DNA in South Asia. Contemporary South Asia 21(3): 291-303.
- Egorova, Y. & Perwez, S. (2012). Old memories, new histories: (re)discovering the past of Jewish Dalits. History and Anthropology 23(1): 1-15.
- Egorova, Yulia & Perwez, Shahid (2012). Telugu Jews: Are the Dalits of coastal Andhra going caste-awry?. The South Asianist 1(1): 7-16.
- Egorova, Y. (2010). Castes of genes? Representing human genetic diversity in India. Genomics, Society and Policy 6(3): 32-49.
- Egorova, Y. (2010). DNA Evidence? The impact of genetic research on historical debates. BioSocieties 5(3): 348-365.
- Egorova, Y. (2010). From Dalits to Bene Ephraim: Judaism in Andhra Pradesh. Religions of South Asia 4(1): 105-124.
- Egorova, Y. & Perwez, S. (2010). The Children of Ephraim: Being Jewish in Andhra Pradesh. Anthropology Today 26(6): 14-19.
- Egorova, Y. (2009). De/geneticizing caste: population genetic research in South Asia. Science as Culture 18(4): 417-438.
- Egorova, Y. (2009). Religious responses to technology. Culture and Religion 10(2): 133-137.
- Egorova, Y. (2009). The proof is in the genes? Jewish responses to DNA research. Culture and Religion 10(2): 159-175.
- Egorova, Y. (2008). Genomic Anthropology. Reply to Gisli Palsson. Current Anthropology 49(4): 559-560.
- Egorova, Y. (2007). Genetics and tradition as competing sources of knowledge of human history. Encyclopedia of Life Sciences
- Egorova, Y. (2007). The Meanings of Science: Conversations with Geneticists. Health Care Analysis 15(1): 51-58.
- Egorova, Y., Edgar, A. & Pattison, S. (2006). The Meanings of Genetics: accounts of biotechnology in the work of Habermas, Baudrillard and Derrida. International Journal of the Humanities 3(2): 97-103.
- Parfitt, T. & Egorova, Y. (2005). Genetics, History and Identity: The Case of the Bene-Israel and of the Lemba. Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry 29: 193-224.
- Egorova, Y. (2003). Portraying the “Other” Indian Jewish Representations of the Parsis. Cracow Indological Studies 4-5: 179-193.
- Egorova, Y. (2003). The Home of One’s Own: Indian Jewish Fiction and the Problem of Bene-Israel Identity. Journal of Indo-Judaic Studies 6: 71-79.
Available for media contact about:
- Anthropology: Jewish communities in Asia and Africa
- Anthropology: social implications of life sciences
- Anthropology: Jewish culture
- Mr Damien Boutillon
- Dr Klara Anna Capova
- Miss I-chun Wang
- Miss Pina Sadar
- Ms Claudia Aufschnaiter
- Mr Alexander Parkyn-smith
- Ms Aethiqah Abdul-halim
- Mr Admir Jugo
- 2009: The Children of Ephraim: Jewish Identity in Andhra Pradesh (sponsored by the AHRC)
- 2008: Castes of Genes? Population Genetics in South Asia (sponsored by the Nuffield Foundation)