Dr Kristen Hopper
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
I hold a BA Hons in Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology from the University of Saskatchewan, and a MA (by research) in Archaeology from Durham University. My PhD, The Gorgan Plain of northeast Iran: a diachronic analysis of settlement and land use patterns relating to urban, rural and mobile populations on a Sasanian frontier was undertaken at Durham University as part of the ERC Funded Project ‘Persia and its Neighbours: The Archaeology of Late Antique Imperial Power in Iran (Persia Project) which has been investigating frontier landscapes of the Sasanian Empire (3rd -7th centuries AD). My research focused on reconstructing long-term settlement patterns (Iron Age through Sasanian) using data obtained from both modern and historical (CORONA) satellite imagery and field surveys.
I am currently Assistant Professor (Research) on the Endangered Archaeology in the Middle East & North Africa (EAMENA) project. The EAMENA project uses the remote sensing of satellite imagery to rapidly document and monitor archaeological sites across the MENA region. I am currently involved in documentation of and research into archaeological landscapes in Georgia, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran and Syria.
My research interests include landscapes of empires, water management in arid regions, archaeology of mobile pastoral communities, and GIS and remote sensing applications in archaeology. I have extensive fieldwork experience in the Near East and the Caucasus including as assistant survey director of the Gorgan Wall Project Survey (Iran) and the Caucasian Gates Project Survey (Georgia).
Centre for the Study of the Ancient Mediterranean and the Near East
Department of Archaeology
Department of Archaeology
- Gorgan Wall Project
- Persia and its Neighbours: the Archaeology of Late Antique Imperial Power in Iran (Persia Project)
Chapter in book
- Shumilovskikh, Lyudmila, Djamali, Morteza, Hopper, Kristen, Omrani Rekavandi, Hamid, Nokandeh, Jebrael & Sauer, Eberhard (Submitted). Sasanian woodland use in treeless landscapes: case studies from the Gorgan Plain, SE of the Caspian Sea. In Caspian Sea Shores. Oxbow Books.
- Hopper, K, Lawrence, D, Pitskhelauri, K & Philip, G (2020). Appendix III. Investigations of ancient canal systems in central and eastern Georgia. In Dariali: the ‘Caspian Gates’ in the Caucasus from Antiquity to the Age of the Huns and the Middle Ages. The joint Georgian-British Dariali Gorge excavations & surveys 2013-2016. Sauer, E., Chologauri, L., Gabunia, A., Hopper, K., Lawrence, D., MacDonald, E., Mashkour, M., Mowat, F., Naskidashvili, D., Pitskelauri, K., Priestman, S., Shumilovkikh, L., Simpson, S. & Tiliakou, A. et al. Oxford: Oxbow Books. II: 937-954.
- Labbaf-Khaniki, Meysam, Hopper, Kristen & Sauer, Eberhard (2020). Fortifications and the Defensive Landscapes of Kalat (North- Eastern Iran). In Proceedings of the 11th International Congress on the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East Volume 2: Field Reports. Otto, Adelheid, Herles, Michael & Kaniuth, Kai Harrassowitz Verlag Wiesbaden.
- Hopper, Kristen & Omrani Rekavandi, Hamid (2020). Investigating Mobile Pastoralist Landscapes in North East Iran: The Contribution of Remote Sensing. In New Agendas in Remote Sensing and Landscape Archaeology: Studies in Honor of Tony J. Wilkinson. Lawrence, Dan, Altaweel, Mark & Philip, Graham Oxford Archaeopress. 94-108.
- Hopper, K, Lawrence, D., Snape-Kennedy, L., Chologauri, L., Priestman, S., Pitskelauri, K. & Philip, G. (2020). Landscape investigations in the Dariali Pass, Georgia. In Dariali: the ‘Caspian Gates’ in the Caucasus from Antiquity to the Age of the Huns and the Middle Ages. The joint Georgian-British Dariali Gorge excavations & surveys 2013-2016. Sauer, E., Chologauri, L., Gabunia, A., Hopper, K., Lawrence, D., MacDonald, E., Mashkour, M., Mowat, F., Naskidashvili, D., Pitskelauri, K., Priestman, S., Shumilovkikh, L., Simpson, S. & Tiliakou, A. et al. Oxford: Oxbow Books. 6: 303-412.
- Hopper, Kristen, Anderson, William & Robinson, Abby (2018). Landscape Archaeology in Southern Caucasia: An Introduction. In Landscape Archaeology in Southern Caucasia: Finding Common Ground in Diverse Environments. Workshop held at 10th ICAANE in Vienna, April 2016. Anderson, William, Hopper, Kristen & Robinson, Abby Vienna: Austrian Academy of Sciences. 8: 11-22.
- Hopper, Kristen (2017). Connectivity on a Sasanian frontier: Route Systems in the Gorgan Plain of North-East Iran. In Sasanian Persia: Between Rome and the Steppes of Eurasia. Sauer, Eberhard W. Edinburgh University Press. 126-150.
- Hopper, Kristen & Kondo, Yasuhisa (2016). Surface Structures at Ad-Dariz South. In The Bronze Age Towers at Bat, Sultanate of Oman: Research by the Bat Archaeological Project 2007-12. Thornton, Christopher P. Cable, Charlotte M. & Possehl, Gregory L. University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology Philadelphia. 155-167.
- Hopper, K. & Wilkinson, T.J. (2013). Population and Settlement Trends in Southwest Iran and Neighbouring Areas. In Ancient Iran and its Neighbours: Local developments and long-range interactions in the fourth millennium BC. Petrie, C British Institute of Persian Studies Archaeological Monographs Series. Oxbow Books. 35-50.
- Wilkinson, Tony, J., Rekavandi, Hamid Omrani, Hopper, Kristen, Priestman, Seth, Roustaei, Kourosh & Galiatsatos, Nikolaos (2013). The Landscapes of the Gorgān Wall. In Persia's Imperial Power in Late Antiquity: The Great Wall of Gorgan and the Frontier Landscapes of Sasanian Iran. Rekavandi, Hamid Omrani, Wilkinson, Tony J., Nokandeh, Jebrael & Sauer, Eberhard, W. Oxford: Oxbow Books. 24-132.
- Anderson, William, Hopper, Kristen & Robinson, Abby (2018). Landscape Archaeology in Southern Caucasia: Finding Common Ground in Diverse Environments. Workshop held at 10th ICAANE in Vienna, April 2016. Oriental and European Archaeology. Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna.
- Charbonnier, Julien & Hopper, Kristen (2018). Special Issue: The Qanāt: Archaeology and Environment. Water History, 10 (1): Springer.
- Fobbe, Seán Navrouzov, Natia Hopper, Kristen , Khudida Burjus, Ahmed Philip, Graham , Nawaf, Maher G Lawrence, Daniel , Walasek, Helen Birjandian, Sara Hassan Ali, Majid Rashidani, Salim Salih, Hassan Sulaiman Qari, Dawood & Mishko, Faris (Accepted). Cultural Heritage Destruction during the Islamic State's Genocide against the Yazidis. Asian Yearbook of Human Rights and Humanitarian Law
- Charbonnier, Julien & Hopper, Kristen (2018). The Qanāt: a multidisciplinary and diachronic approach to the study of groundwater catchment systems in archaeology. Water History 10(1): 3-11.
- Jansen van Rensburg, Julian & Hopper, Kristen (2017). Incense and imagery: mapping agricultural and water management systems on the island of Socotra, Yemen. Proceedings of the Seminar for Arabian Studies 47: 129-138.
- Shumilovskikh, Lyudmila S., Hopper, Kristen, Djamali, Morteza, Ponel, Philippe, Demory, Franҫois, Rostek, Frauke, Tachikawa, Kazuyo, Bittmann, Felix, Golyeva, Alexandra, Guibal, Frédéric, Talon, Brigitte, Wang, Liang-Chi, Nezamabadi, Masoud, Bard, Edouard, Lahijani, Hamid, Nokandeh, Jebrael, Rekavandi, Hamid Omrani, de Beaulieu, Jacques-Louis, Sauer, Eberhard & Andrieu-Ponel, Valérie (2016). Landscape evolution and agro-sylvo-pastoral activities on the Gorgan Plain (NE Iran)in the last 6000 years. The Holocene 1-16.
- Sauer, E W Pitskhelauri, K, Hopper, K, Tiliakou, A, Pickard, C, Lawrence, Dan, Diana, A, Kranioti, E & Shupe, C (2015). Northern outpost of the Caliphate: maintaining military forces in a hostile environment (the Dariali Gorge in the Central Caucasus in Georgia). Antiquity 89(346): 885-904.
- Rashid International, Yazda & Endangered Archaeology in the Middle East and North Africa Project (Kristen Hopper, Dan Lawrence, Graham Philip) (2019). Destroying the Soul of the Yazidis: Cultural Heritage Destruction During the Islamic State's Genocide Against the Yazidis. RASHID International, Yazda, EAMENA Project.