Prof Jeroen van Hunen, MSc Geophysics, PhD
(email at email@example.com)
2017 – present — Professor, Department of Earth Sciences, Durham University
- Subduction dynamics
- Dynamics of the early Earth
- Sub-lithospheric small-scale convection
- Plumes and intraplate volcanism
- Interaction between solid Earth and exosphere
- Carbon Capture and Storage
Possible mode of Archaean subduction (after van Hunen and van den Berg, 2008):
Career Research Highlights
Jeroen van Hunen works on various aspects of the interaction between lithospheric plates and the mantle since the mid 90’s. He is recognized for his work on subduction dynamics, from shallow flat subduction to continental collision and slab break-off. One of his main research interests is the dynamics of plate tectonics in the early Earth, on which he recently got awarded an ERC starting grant: the MASE project. Jeroen published over 50 peer-reviewed articles with >1900 citations, and with an h-index of 24 (April 2016). At the moment he is main supervisor of 4 postdoctoral researchers, 3 postgraduate students, and several undergraduate dissertation students. His total research income on grants where he is the lead PI is ~£2.5M.
Committee and Society Service
Conferences and Workshops
2011, 2012, 2013 — EGU General Assembly: co-convenor of 'Subduction zone dynamics from the surface to the lower mantle'.
Departmental Seminar Speaker Invitation (since 2008)
Membership of Organisations and Societies
Recent and Current Grants
Department of Earth Sciences
Indicators of Esteem
- 2002: Invited seminar at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Leeds:
- 2003: Invited Speaker at the Department of Earth Sciences, Caltech, USA:
- 2004: Invited Speaker at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Prague, Czech Republic: Sepetember 2004
- 2005: Convenor of Special session at EGU. 'Mantle Plumes, intraplate magmatism and hotspot-ridge interaction: Geodynamical, Geophysical and Geochemical Aspects':
- 2005: Invited speaker at the EGU April 2005:
- 2006: Convenor of Special session at EGU. 'Mantle Plumes, intraplate magmatism and hotspot-ridge interaction: Geodynamical, Geophysical and Geochemical Aspects':
- 2007: Co-organiser of the 'Tenth International Workshop on Modelling of Mantle Convection and Lithospheric Dynamics.' September 2007:
- 2007: Convenor of EGU special session: 'Geodynamics and Geochemistry of the Early Earth':
- 2007: Invited Speaker at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Leeds:
- 2007: Keynote speaker at 'Archaen Oceans' workshop, April 2007:
- 2011: University of Liverpool, May, 2011:
Chapter in book
- van Hunen, Jeroen (2019). Onset and Evolution of Plate Tectonics: Geodynamical Constraints. In Reference Module in Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences. Elsevier.
- Farangitakis, G.P., Sokoutis, D., McCaffrey, K.J.W., Willingshofer, E., Kalnins, L.M., Phethean, J.J.J., van Hunen, J. & van Steen, V. (2019). Analogue modeling of plate rotation effects in transform margins and rift-transform intersections. Tectonics 38(3): 823-841.
- Heron, P.J., Pysklywec, R.N., Stephenson, R. & van Hunen, J. (2019). Deformation driven by deep and distant structures: Influence of a mantle lithosphere suture in the Ouachita orogeny, southeastern United States. Geology 47(2): 147-150.
- Riel, Nicolas, Bouilhol, Pierre, van Hunen, Jeroen, Cornet, Julien, Magni, Valentina, Grigorova, Vili & Velic, Marco (2019). Interaction between mantle-derived magma and lower arc crust: quantitative reactive melt flow modeling using STyx. Geological Society Special Publication 478: 65-87.
- Harmon, Nicholas, Rychert, Catherine, Collier, Jenny, Henstock, Tim, van Hunen, Jeroen & Wilkinson, Jamie J (2019). Mapping geologic features onto subducted slabs. Geophysical Journal International 219(2): 725-733.
- Maunder, B., van Hunen, J., Bouilhol, P. & Magni, V. (2019). Modeling Slab Temperature: a Reevaluation of the Thermal Parameter. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 20(2): 673-687.
- Goes, Saskia, Collier, Jenny, Blundy, Jon, Davidson, Jon, Harmon, Nick, Henstock, Tim, Kendall, J., Macpherson, Colin, Rietbrock, Andreas, Rychert, Kate, Prytulak, Julie, van Hunen, Jeroen, Wilkinson, Jamie & Wilson, Marjorie (2019). Project VoiLA: Volatile Recycling in the Lesser Antilles. Eos 100.
- Heron, PJ, Peace, AL McCaffrey, K , Welford, JK Wilson, R, van Hunen, J & Pysklywec, RN (2019). Segmentation of rifts through structural inheritance: Creation of the Davis Strait. Tectonics 38(7): 2411-2430.
- Allen, R.W., Collier, J.S., Stewart, A.G., Henstock, T., Goes, S., Rietbrock, A. & Voila Team (2019). The role of arc migration in the development of the Lesser Antilles: A new tectonic model for the Cenozoic evolution of the eastern Caribbean. Geology 47(9): 891.
- Schliffke, Nicholas, Hunen, Jeroen, Magni, Valentina & Allen, Mark B. (2019). The Role of Crustal Buoyancy in the Generation and Emplacement of Magmatism During Continental Collision. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems
- 2016: Numerical Earth Science Modelling short course - 2nd (£29970.00 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2016: Numerical modelling short course for postgraduate students (3rd) (£32541.00 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2013: What drives and resists plate sinking through the transition zone? (£200237.00 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2012: MASE Modelling the Archaean Subduct Environment (£1069261.46 from European Commission)
- 2011: Orogenic plateau magmatism (£391367.16 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2011: Sculpting the Earth¿s landscape: insights from modelling deep¿surface processes (£411493.73 from European Commission)