Dr Susan Bock
Sue joined the staff team at Durham in February 2006. She completed her Masters Degree in Physical Education (Sport Psychology) from the University of Victoria (Canada), studying athlete adherence to mental skills training. Her PhD (University of Exeter) focused on the motivational experiences of young athletes in structured sport settings. Sue’s teaching interests include physical activity and health, and sport and exercise psychology. Sue is also an advocate of enhancing the employability development of our undergraduate students, and she currently convenes the final year ‘Sport in the Community Placement’ module on our BA Sport, Exercise and Physical Activity degree programme.
Sue is the Director of Education within the School of Applied Social Sciences.
Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing
- Motivational experiences of young athletes
- The role of the coach in creating motivational climates in youth sport
- Physical activity measurement in children and adolescents
- Pedagogical issues in HE
- Oliver, E., Bock, S. & Hanson, L. (2016), Mind the Gap: Supporting between years transitions in Higher Education, Durham University inaugural Learning and Teaching Conference. St Aidan’s College, September 2016.
- Tymms, Peter, Curtis, Sarah E., Routen, Ash C., Thomson, Katie H., Bolden, David S., Bock, Susan, Dunn, Christine E., Cooper, Ashley R., Elliott, Julian G., Moore, Helen J., Summerbell, Carolyn D., Tiffin, Paul A. & Kasim Adetayo S. (2016). Clustered randomised controlled trial of two education interventions designed to increase physical activity and well-being of secondary school students: The MOVE Project. BMJ Open 6(1): e009318.
- Weston, K.L., Azevedo, L.B., Bock, S., Weston, M., George, K.P. & Batterham, A.M. (2016). Effect of novel, school-based high-intensity interval training (HIT) on cardiometabolic health in adolescents: Project FFAB (Fun Fast Activity Blasts) - an exploratory controlled before-and-after-trial. PLoS ONE 11(8): e0159116.
- Thompson, D.T., Batterham, A.M., Bock, S., Stokes, K. & Robson, C. (2006). Assessment of low to moderate intensity physical activity thermo-genesis in young adults using synchronised heart rate and accelerometry with branched-equation modelling. Journal of Nutrition