Dr Nadja Reissland, BSc. MA. DPhil (Oxon)
My research interests are in early mother-infant interaction starting prenatally from around 12 weeks of gestational age. I am currently working on the effect of maternal stress and depression on infant cognitive, emotional and social development.
* Fetal development
* infant and child play
* infant and child emotional, social and cognitive development
* maternal postnatal depression and stress
Department of Psychology
- Fetal development
- Premature infant development
- Maternal stress and depression
- Mother-infant interaction
Indicators of Esteem
- 2017: Athena Swan Equality Assessment panel : Athena Swan Equality charter mark Assessment panel assesing 4 Departments/Universities Feb 2017
- 2017: Athena Swan Race Equality Charter Mark review panel : Athena Swan Race Equality Charter Mark review panel Feb 2016
- 2017: Invited address Royal Society of Psychiatrists :
Invited address Royal Society of Psychiatrists ( Nov 2017)
- 2017: Invited CPD accredited lecture :
Invited CPD accredited lecture entitled: Fetal development and the effects of 4D scanning on prenatal attachment: making the fetus a person Nottingham Small Steps Lottery funded program (2017). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXVuEBz0Uaw&feature=youtu.be
- 2017: Invited plenary address,The Japan Academy of Neursonology,Japan :
June 2017, Takamatsu, Kagawa, Japan: The 36th Annual Congress of The Japan Academy of Neursonology: invited plenary address entitled: The potential of assessing fetal neurobehavioral development using the Fetal Observable Movement System (FOMS)
- 2017: Member of the Inner Assessment Board Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS): Member of the Inner Assessment Board Irish Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS) Postdoctoral Assessment Board (2014, 2017) reviewing Marie Curie postdoctoral fellowship applications meeting 12 and 13 April 2017 in Dublin at the headquarter of the Irish Research Council
- 2016: Associate Editor Infant and Child Development:
- 2016: Distinguished memorial lecture, Society for New Fetal Medicine and Science, Japan:
November 2016, Otsu Japan: The 4th Conference of the Society for New Fetal Medicine and Science: “distinguished memorial lecture “ entitled: The untapped potential of using ultrasound to improve research and clinical practice
- 2016: Invite talk International Marcé Society Australia:
Sept 2016, The International Marcé Society for Perinatal Mental Health: Melbourne, Australia: invited talk entitled: The effects of prenatal maternal stress and smoking on fetal behaviour.
- 2016: Invited Plenary Speaker: Society for New Fetal Medicine and Science, Otsu, Japan
- 2015: Houses of Paliament : Evidence to the AAPG conception to age 2
- 2015: written evidence for NHS strategy:
written evidence can be found under: NEWS and Resources/Parliament page
- 2014: Editorial Board European Journal of Developmental Psychology:
- 2013: Govenor and member of the Appointments and Remuneration Committee:
- 2013: International Assessment Board evaluating the Irish Research Council for Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS) Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowships 2013:
Asssessing postdoctoral grant applications (1-3 years) including ELEVATE Marie Curie International Mobility Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2012: Govenor TEWVMember of the Appointments and Remuneration Committee: Govenor of the Tees, Esk and Wear Valley NHS foundation trust. Member of the Appointments and Remuneration Committee. Member of the improving experience of carers sub-committee.
- 2012: International Assessment Board (IAB) evaluating the Irish Research Council for Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS) Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowships 2012:
- 2011: International Assessment Board (IAB) evaluating the Irish Research Council for Humanities and Social Sciences (IRCHSS) Government of Ireland Postdoctoral Fellowships 2011: Invited member to serve on the board of the IRCHSS postdoctoral fellowships.
- Reissland, N & Kisilevsky, B (2016). Fetal Development. Springer.
- Reissland, Nadja (2012). The Development of Emotional Intelligence. Routledge.
Chapter in book
- Reissland, Nadja & Austen, Joe (2018). Goal Directed Behaviours: The Development of Pre-Natal Touch Behaviours. In Reach-to-Grasp Behavior: Brain, Behavior, and Modelling Across the Life Span. Corbetta, Daniela & Santello, Marco Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge. 3-17.
- O’Donnell, K.J., Reissland, N. & Glover, V. (2017). New Insights into Prenatal Stress: Immediate- and Long-Term Effects on the Fetus and Their Timing. In Neonatal Pain - Suffering, Pain, and Risk of Brain Damage in the Fetus and Newborn. Buonocore, G. & Bellieni, C.V. Cham: Springer. 75-85.
- Reissland, N. & Hopkins, B. (2010). Towards a fetal psychology. Infant and Child Development, 19 John Wiley Blackwell.
- Reissland, Nadja, Makhmud, Akerke & Froggatt, Suzanne (2019). Comparing a fetus diagnosed with Prader-Willi-syndrome with non-affected foetuses during light and sound stimulation using 4D ultrasound. Acta Paediatrica 108(2): 375-376.
- Reissland, N., Froggatt, S., Reames, E. & Girkin, J. (2018). Effects of maternal anxiety and depression on fetal neuro-development. Journal of Affective Disorders 241: 469-474.
- Sangawi, Hoshiar, Adams, John & Reissland, Nadja (2018). Effects of parental intervention on behavioural and psychological outcomes for Kurdish parents and their children. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 24(5): 459-468.
- Sangawi, H.S., Adams, J. & Reissland, N. (2018). Individual Differences in Executive Function: The Role of Parental Monitoring as a Moderator. Journal of Attention Disorders
- Soussignan, Robert, Dollion, Nicolas, Schaal, Benoist, Durand, Karine, Reissland, Nadja & Baudouin, Jean-Yves (2018). Mimicking emotions: how 3–12-month-old infants use the facial expressions and eyes of a model. Cognition and Emotion 32(4): 827-842.
- Sangawi, Hoshiar, Adams, John & Reissland, Nadja (2018). The Impact of Parenting Styles on Children Developmental Outcome: The Role of Academic Self-Concept as a Mediator. International Journal of Psychology 53(5): 379-387.
- Reid, Vincent M., Dunn, Kirsty, Young, Robert J., Amu, Johnson, Donovan, Tim & Reissland, Nadja (2017). The Human Fetus Preferentially Engages with Face-like Visual Stimuli. Current Biology 27(12): 1825-1828.
- Reissland, N., Francis, B., Buttanshaw, L., Austen, J. M. & Reid, V. (2016). Do fetuses move their lips to the sound that they hear? An observational feasibility study on auditory stimulation in the womb. Pilot and Feasibility Studies 2(1): 14.
- Longfier, L., Soussignan, R., Reissland, N., Leconte, M., Marret, S., Schaal, B. & Mellier, D. (2016). Emotional expressiveness of 5–6 month-old infants born very premature versus full-term at initial exposure to weaning foods. Appetite 107: 494-500.
- Reissland, N., Lewis, S., Lal, M. & Patterson, L. (2016). What is ‘successful feeding’ on the neonatal intensive care unit? A psychologist’s perspective. MIDRS Midwifery Digest 26(2): 231-235.
- Harvey, H., Good, J., Mason, J. M. & Reissland, N. (2015). A Q-methodology study of parental understandings of infant immunisation: Implications for health-care advice. Journal of Health Psychology 20(11): 1451-1462.
- Reissland, N., Aydin, E., Francis, B. & Exley, E. (2015). Laterality of foetal self-touch in relation to maternal stress. Laterality: Asymmetries of Body, Brain and Cognition 20(1): 82-94.
- Harvey, H., Reissland, N. & Mason, J. (2015). Parental reminder, recall and educational interventions to improve early childhood immunisation uptake: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Vaccine 33(29): 2862-2880.
- Sangawi, Sadiq, Adams, John & Reissland, Nadja (2015). The Effects of Parenting Styles on Behavioral Problems in Primary School Children: A Cross-Cultural Review. Asian Social Science 11(22): 171-186.
- Dunn, K., Reissland, N. & Reid, V. (2015). The functional foetal brain: A systematic preview of methodological factors in reporting foetal visual and auditory capacity. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience 13: 43-52.
- Reissland, N., Austen, J.M., Hanaoka, U., AboEllail, M.A.M., Uematsu, R. & Hata, T. (2015). The potential use of the fetal observable movement system in clinical practice. Donald School Journal of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology 4(October-December): 426-433.
- Reissland, N., Francis, B., Kumarendran, K. & Mason, J. (2015). Ultrasound observations of subtle movements: a pilot study comparing fetuses of smoking and non-smoking mothers. Acta Paediatrica 104(6): 596-603.
- Reissland, N., Francis, B., Aydin, E., Mason, J. & Exley, K. (2014). Development of prenatal lateralization: evidence from fetal mouth movements. Physiology & Behavior 131: 160-163.
- Reissland, N., Francis, B., Aydin, E., Mason, J. & Schaal, B. (2014). The development of anticipation in the fetus: a longitudinal account of human fetal mouth movements in reaction to and anticipation of touch. Developmental psychobiology 56(5): 955-963.
- Reissland, N. (2014). What the Fetal Face can tell Us: A Discussion of the Evidence, Implications and Potential for Further Research. Donald School Journal of Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology 8(4): 336-343.
- Reissland, N., Francis, B. & Mason, J. (2013). Can Healthy Fetuses Show Facial Expressions of “Pain” or “Distress”?. PLOS ONE 8(6): e65530.
- Reissland, N., Mason, C., Schaal, B. & Lincoln, K. (2012). "Prenatal Mouth Movements: Can We Identify Co-Ordinated Fetal Mouth and LIP Actions Necessary for Feeding?". International Journal of Pediatrics 2012: 848596.
- Reissland, N., Francis, B. & Mason, J. (2012). Development of Fetal Yawn Compared with Non-Yawn Mouth Openings from 24-36 Weeks Gestation. PLOS ONE 7(11): e50569
- Reissland, N., Harvey, H. & Mason. J. M. (2012). Effects of maternal parity, depression and stress on two-month-old infant expression of pain. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology 30(4): 363-376.
- Reissland, N., Francis, B., Mason, JM. & Lincoln, K. (2011). Do Facial Expressions Develop before Birth?. PLoS One 6(8): e24081.
- Reissland,N. & Burt, M. (2010). Bi-directional effects of depressed mood in the postnatal period on mother–infant non-verbal engagement with picture books. Infant Behavior and Development 33(4): 613-618.
- Hopkins B. & Reissland, N. (2010). Epilogue. Infant and Child Development 19(1): 125-126.
- Wilson,P., Puckering C., McConnachie, A., Marwick,H., Reissland, N. & Gillberg, C. (2010). Inexpensive video cameras used by parents to record social communication in epidemiological investigations in early childhood – a feasibility study. Infant Behavior and Development
- Reissland, N. & Hopkins, B. (2010). Introduction: towards a fetal psychology. Infant and Child Development 19(1): 1-5.
- Reissland, N. & Francis, B. (2010). The quality of fetal arm movements as indicators of fetal stress. Early Human Development 86(12): 813-816.
- Reissland, N. Hopkins, B., Helms, P. & Williams, B. (2009). Maternal stress and depression and the lateralisation of infant cradling. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 50(3): 263-269.
- Reissland, N. & Shepherd, J. (2006). The effect of maternal depressed mood on infant emotional reaction in a surprise-eliciting situation. Infant Mental Health Journal 27(2): 173-187.
- Herrera,E., Reissland,N. & Shepherd,J. (2004). Maternal touch and maternal child-directed speech: effects of depressed mood in the postnatal period. Journal of Affective Disorders 81(1): 29-39.
- Herrera, E & Reissland, N (2003). Maternal depressed mood and speech in face to face interaction with6-and-10-month-old infants. Journal Of Reproductive And Infant Psychology 21(3): 245-245.
- Reissland, N & Herrera, E (2003). Teasing and bullying: comparing mothers with and without depressed moodduring play with their babies. Journal Of Reproductive And Infant Psychology 21(3): 248-249.
- Reissland, N., Shepherd, J. & Herrera, E. (2003). The pitch of maternal voice: a comparison of mothers suffering from depressed mood and non-depressed mothers reading books to their infants. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 44(2): 255-261.
- Reissland, N & Shepherd, J (2002). Gaze direction and maternal pitch in surprise-eliciting situations. Infant Behavior & Development 24(4): 408-417.
- Herrera, E & Reissland, N (2002). Maternal speech to 6 and 10 months old infants: a comparison of motherssuffering from depressed and non-depressed mood states. Journal Of Reproductive And Infant Psychology 20(3): 176-177.
- Reissland, N., Shepherd, J. & Cowie, L. (2002). The melody of surprise: maternal surprise vocalizations during play with her infant. Infant and Child Development 11(3): 271-278.
- Reissland, N (2001). Maternal sub clinical postnatal depression and infant expression ofsurprise. Journal Of Reproductive And Infant Psychology 19(3): 273-273.
- Reissland, N (2001). The emergence of the speech capacity. Journal Of Language And Social Psychology 20(3): 382-384.
- Reissland, N (2000). Expressing surprise: 2-10 month old infants' social referencing insurprise eliciting situations. Infant Mental Health Journal 21(4-5): 356-356.
- Reissland, N (2000). The cradling bias in relation to pitch of maternal child-directedlanguage. British Journal Of Developmental Psychology 18: 179-186.
- Reissland, N, Shepherd, J & Stephenson, T (1999). Maternal verbal interaction in different situations with infants bornprematurely or at term. Infant And Child Development 8(1): 39-48.
- Reissland, N & Stephenson, T (1999). Turn-taking in early vocal interaction: a comparison of premature andterm infants' vocal interaction with their mothers. Child Care Health And Development 25(6): 447-456.
- Reissland, N (1998). Context dependency in parental speech. British Journal Of Developmental Psychology 16: 365-373.
- Reissland, N (1998). The pitch of "real" and "rhetorical" questions directed by a father tohis daughter: A longitudinal case study. Infant Behavior & Development 21(4): 793-798.
- Reissland, N (1997). Emotional development - Sroufe,LA. British Journal Of Developmental Psychology 15: 248-249.
- Reissland, N (1996). Exploring affect - Demos,EV. British Journal Of Developmental Psychology 14: 369-370.
- Reissland, N (1996). Mastery motivation in early childhood - Messer,DJ. British Journal Of Developmental Psychology 14: 255-256.
- Reissland, N & Snow, D (1996). Maternal pitch height in ordinary and play situations. Journal Of Child Language 23(2): 269-278.
- Reissland, N (1994). The Socialisation of Pride in Young Children. International Journal of Behavioral Development 17(3): 541-552.
- REISSLAND, N & HARRIS, P (1991). CHILDRENS USE OF DISPLAY RULES IN PRIDE-ELICITING SITUATIONS. British Journal Of Developmental Psychology 9: 431-435.
- REISSLAND, N (1990). PARENTAL FRAMEWORKS OF PLEASURE AND PRIDE. Infant Behavior & Development 13(2): 249-256.
- REISSLAND, N & BURGHART, R (1989). ACTIVE PATIENTS - THE INTEGRATION OF MODERN AND TRADITIONAL OBSTETRICPRACTICES IN NEPAL. Social Science & Medicine 29(1): 43-52.
- REISSLAND, N (1989). CHILDREN IN THE FIELD - ANTHROPOLOGICAL EXPERIENCES - CASSELL,J. Man 24(1): 174-175.
- REISSLAND, N (1988). NEONATAL IMITATION IN THE 1ST HOUR OF LIFE - OBSERVATIONS IN RURAL NEPAL. Developmental Psychology 24(4): 464-469.
- REISSLAND, N & BURGHART, R (1988). THE QUALITY OF A MOTHERS MILK AND THE HEALTH OF HER CHILD - BELIEFS ANDPRACTICES OF THE WOMEN OF MITHILA. Social Science & Medicine 27(5): 461-469.
- REISSLAND, N & BURGHART, R (1987). THE ROLE OF MASSAGE IN SOUTH-ASIA - CHILD HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENT. Social Science & Medicine 25(3): 231-239.
- REISSLAND, N (1986). PARENTAL PRAISE OF TODDLERS TASK-PERFORMANCE - A CROSS-SECTIONAL ANDLONGITUDINAL-STUDY. Bulletin Of The British Psychological Society 39: A143-A144.
- REISSLAND, N (1985). THE DEVELOPMENT OF CHILDRENS PLEASURE REACTION IN SIBLINGS PLAY - WORKIN PROGRESS. Bulletin Of The British Psychological Society 38(FEB): A24-A24.
- Reissland, N. (1985). The development of concepts of simultaneity in childrens understanding of emotions. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 26(5): 811-824.
- REISSLAND, N (1985). THE DEVELOPMENT OF TODDLERS PRIDE AND PLEASURE REACTIONS. Cahiers De Psychologie Cognitive-current Psychology Of Cognition 5(3-4): 293-293.
- JASPARS, J, REISSLAND, N & EGERTON, M (1984). SCHERER DYNAMIC CHEMISTRY OF EMOTIONS. Cahiers De Psychologie Cognitive-current Psychology Of Cognition 4(6): 607-613.
- Reissland, N. (1983). Cognitive maturity and the experience of fear and pain in hospital. Social Science & Medicine 17(18): 1389-1395.
- Reissland, N. (2006). Teaching a baby the language of emotions: a father's experience. Zero-to-Three 27: 42-47.
Available for media contact about:
- Child health:
- Human biology and development: Fetal development
- Psychology: Fetal development
- Child health: Fetal development
- Human biology and development: child health prenatal development maternal depression
- Medical and health research topics: child health prenatal development maternal depression
- Child health: child health prenatal development maternal depression
- Stress: child health prenatal development maternal depression
- 2013: Fellowship Japanese Science Foundation
- 2013: Understanding light in the late term human fetus
- 2009: British Academy Travel grant