Professor Lucille Cairns, BA, PhD London, Chevalier dans l'Ordre des Palmes Académiques
Our dear and distinguished colleague, Professor Lucille Cairns, passed away suddenly in July 2017. As an outstanding scholar, a generous mentor and a committed teacher, she made a deeply felt contribution to her discipline and to the School of Modern Languages and Cultures, offering wise and gentle counsel on so many important matters. She will be sorely missed by friends and colleagues in Durham and beyond.
Professor Lucille Cairns is the sole author of six monographs: Marie Cardinal: Motherhood and Creativity (1992), Privileged Pariahdom: Homosexuality in the Novels of Dominique Fernandez (1996), Lesbian Desire in Post-1968 French Literature (2002), Sapphism on Screen: Lesbian Desire in French and Francophone Cinema (2006), Post-War Jewish Women's Writing in French (2011), and Francophone Jewish Writers Imagining Israel (2015), as well as of numerous articles/ chapters on male and female homosexuality in French literature and film, on French women's writing generally, and on French Jewish women's writing in particular. She is sole editor of Gay and Lesbian Cultures in France (2002), and co-editor of both Re-thinking ‘Identities’: Western Cultural Articulations of Alterity and Resistance in the New Millennium (2014) and Jewish Identities in Contemporary Europe (2016).
She has been editor of Stirling French Publications (1997-2005), and specialist reader for many academic journals, including Crisolenguas (Puerto Rico), Forum for Modern Language Studies (UK), French Cultural Studies (UK), French Studies (UK), Journal of Lesbian Studies (US), Rhizomes: Cultural Studies in Emerging Knowledge (US), and Women in French Studies (US).
She was President of AUPHF (Association of University Professors and Heads of French) from 2007-2010, and the national representative for French studies on the Executive Committee of UCML (University Council of Modern Languages) from 2010-2014. She has been the external advisor on many senior promotions/ appointments in UK and US universities, external panel member for the Independent Evaluation of Teaching in the French Department, University of Sheffield (2006), and external member of the panel for the review of the School of Modern Languages, University of Bristol (2009).
In 2009, she was made a Chevalier dans l'Ordre des Palmes Académiques by the French government.
Professor Cairns was a member of REF 2014 sub-panel 28 (Modern Languages and Linguistics).
In 2011-12, under the framework of the French government's 'Investissements d'avenir' programme (21.9 billion euros), Professor Cairns was President of the Humanities committee charged by the French National Research Agency with evaluating submissions to the 'Laboratories of Excellence' scheme. This scheme is designed to endow world-renowned laboratories from all academic disciplines with significant means to construct a high-level integrated policy concerning research, education, and research exploitation.
In 2012 and 2013, she was also President of the French National Research Agency's grants selection committee for a new research initiative in the social and human sciences, entitled ‘Emergences et évolutions des cultures et des phénomènes culturels’.
She was one of the AHRC Reviewers for the Block Grant Partnerships scheme, Round 2, Full Proposal Stage (BGP2).
- Corporeal configurations in French literature and film
- Eating disorders in contemporary French women’s literature, the subject of a sole-authored monograph I’m writing on representations of various eating disorders: anorexia; anorexia and bulimia/ bulimarexia; binge eating disorder
- French women's writing
- Jewish women's writing
- Literary, cinematic and wider cultural mediations of homosexuality in the French language
- Member of the Culture and Difference research group in MLAC. All of her publications are relevant to this group
- Professor Cairns is happy to supervise postgraduate students in most areas of 20th- and 21st-century French studies, and especially those areas listed
- Queer theory
- Cairns, Lucille (2015). Francophone Jewish Writers Imagining Israel. Liverpool University Press.
- Cairns, Lucille (2011). Post-War Jewish Women's Writing in French. Oxford: Legenda.
- Cairns, L. (2006). Sapphism on Screen: Lesbian Desire in French and Francophone Cinema. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Cairns, L. (2002). Lesbian Desire in Post-1968 French Literature. Lewiston, New York: Edwin Mellen Press.
- Cairns, Lucille (1996). Privileged Pariahdom: Homosexuality in the Novels of Dominique Fernandez. Bern, Berlin: Peter Lang.
- Cairns, Lucille (1992). Marie Cardinal: Motherhood and Creativity. Glasgow: University of Glasgow French and German Publications.
Chapter in book
- Cairns, Lucille (2015). Jewish Children’s Homes in Post-Holocaust France. Personal Témoignages. In Post-Holocaust France and the Jews, 1945-1955. Hand, Sean & Katz, Steven T. New York: New York University Press. 139-155.
- Cairns, Lucille & Fouz-Hernandez, Santiago (2014). Introduction. In Rethinking 'Identities': Cultural Articulations of Alterity and Resistance in the New Millennium. Cairns, Lucille & Fouz-Hernandez, Santiago Oxford: Peter Lang. 20: 1-18.
- Cairns, Lucille (2014). Post-Feminist Pornographication or Pro-Sex Feminism? Queer Performativity in the Work of Two French Female Artists. In Rethinking ‘Identities’ Cultural Articulations of Alterity and Resistance in the New Millennium. Cairns, Lucille & Fouz Hernández, Santiago Oxford, Bern, Berlin, Bruxelles, Frankfurt am Main, New York, Vienna: Peter Lang. 21-42.
- Cairns, Lucille (2014). Queer, Republican France, and Its Euro-American "Others". In What's Queer About Europe. Rossello, Mireille & Dasgupta, Sudeep New York: Fordham University Press. 91-113.
- Cairns, Lucille (2013). Vichy, Jews, Enfants cachés: French Women Writers Look Back. In Women's Writing in Twenty-First Century France. Damlé, Amaleena & Rye, Gill Cardiff: University of Wales Press. 47-59.
- Cairns, Lucille (2011). Mères manquantes and Queer Triangulations: Emporte-moi and Lost and Delirious. In Cinematic Queerness: Gay and Lesbian Hypervisibility in Contemporary Francophone Feature Films. Grandena, Florian & Johnston, Cristina Oxford, Bern, Berlin, Brussels, Frankfurt am Main, New York, Vienna: Peter Lang. 98: 99-116.
- Cairns, Lucille. (2007). Dissidences Charnelles: the Female Body in Revolt. In The Flesh in the Text. Baldwin, James, Fowler, James & Weller, Shane Oxford and New York: Peter Lang. 205-225.
- Cairns, Lucille (2006). Lesbian Desire in Recent French and Francophone Cinema. In Lesbian Inscriptions in Francophone Society and Culture. Günther, Renate & Michallat, Wendy Durham: Durham Modern Languages Series.
- Cairns, Lucille (2003). Michèle Causse, Dominique Fernandez, Jeanne Galzy, Elula Perrin. In Dictionnaire des cultures gays et lesbiennes. Eribon, Didier Paris: Larousse. 100, 193, 205-206, 358.
- Cairns, Lucille (2002). Dissidence sexuelle, conservatisme social? La mise en écriture du lesbianisme chez Hélène de Monferrand. In Nouvelles écrivaines: nouvelles voix?. Morello, Nathalie & Rodgers, Catherine Amsterdam/New York: Rodopi. 215-232.
- Cairns, Lucille (2002). Identity or Difference? The Ontology of Lesbianism in Contemporary French Realist Fiction. In Gay and Lesbian Cultures in France. Cairns, Lucille Oxford, Bern, Berlin, Brussels, Frankfurt, New York, Vienna: Peter Lang. 157-171.
- Cairns, Lucille. (2002). Le Phallus lesbien (bis): Lesbo-Erotic French Writing of the Late 1990s. In French Fiction in the 1990s. Hutton, Margaret-Anne. Nottingham: Department of French and Francophone Studies, University of Nottingham. 41: 89-101.
- Cairns, Lucille (2001). Gender Trouble in Ma Vie en rose. In France on Film: Reflections on Popular French Cinema. Mazdon, Lucy London: Wallflower Press. 119-131.
- Cairns, Lucille (2000). Mireille Best; Dominique Fernandez; Jocelyne François; Hélène de Monferrand; Monique Wittig. In Who's Who in Contemporary Gay and Lesbian History, vol. II: From World War II to the Present Day. Aldrich, R. & Wotherspoon, G. London, New York: Routledge. 36-37; 131-133; 145-146; 290-292; 452-454.
- Cairns, Lucille (2000). Sexual Fault Lines: Sex and Gender in the Cultural Context. In Contemporary French Cultural Studies. Kidd, W. & Reynolds, S. London: Arnold. 81-94.
- Cairns,Lucille (1999). Who are you, Professor Foucault?. In Religion and Culture by Michel Foucault. Carrette, J. Manchester: Manchester University Press. 87-103.
- Cairns, Lucille & Fouz Hernández, Santiago (2014). Re-thinking ‘Identities’ Western Cultural Articulations of Alterity and Resistance in the New Millennium. Oxford, Bern, Berlin, Bruxelles, Frankfurt am Main, New York, Wien: Peter Lang.
- Cairns, Lucille. (2002). Gay and Lesbian Cultures in France. Modern French Identities 20. Oxford: Peter Lang.
- Cairns, Lucille (2017). Gendered genealogies in North African Jewish women’s writing: The case of Paule Darmon’s Baisse les yeux, Sarah. Journal of European Studies
- Cairns, Lucille (2015). Bodily Dis-Ease in Contemporary French Women’s Writing: Two Case Studies. French Studies 69(4): 494-508.
- Cairns, Lucille (2014). Righteous Realism Versus Postmodern Play: The Israeli–Palestinian Conflict in Female-Authored French Fiction. Modern and Contemporary France 22(1): 71-84.
- Cairns, Lucille & Reiter, Andrea (2013). 'Introduction' to 'Jewish Identities in Contemporary Europe'. Jewish Culture and History 14(2-3): 65-67.
- Cairns, Lucille (2013). Une année si ordinaire (2004) d’Esther Orner. Continuum: Revue des Écrivains Israéliens de Langue Française 10: 54-62.
- Cairns, Lucille (2012). Calibrating Queer in the work of Didier Eribon. French Cultural Studies 23(2): 104-116.
- Cairns, Lucille (2011). La Shoah et ses séquelles psycho-mémorielles. Revue des Écrivains Israéliens de Langue Française (8): 88-93.
- Cairns, Lucille (2011). Lieux de mémoire juive: Francine Christophe's Après les camps, la vie and Marceline Loridan-Ivens's La Petite Prairie aux bouleaux. L'Esprit créateur 51(1): 139-153.
- Cairns, Lucille (2010). 'La Mémoire de la Shoah': the Contentious Case of Soazig Aaron's 'Le Non de Klara'. French Studies: A Quarterly Review 64(4): 438-450.
- Cairns, Lucille (2009). Hyphenated Identity: Tunisian-French-Jewish-Female Writers. CELAAN Review - Revue du Centre d'Etudes des Littératures et des Arts d'Afrique du Nord 7(1&2): 58-69.
- Cairns, Lucille (2009). Sapphism in Twentieth- to Twenty-First Century French Film: Segue or Schism?. Australian Journal of French Studies XLV(3): 264-276.
- Cairns, Lucille (2008). Post-War Jewish Women’s Writing in French. Women in French Studies 24-38.
- Cairns, Lucille (2007). Queer Paradox/Paradoxical Queer: Anne Garréta's Pas un jour (2002). Journal of Lesbian Studies 10(3/4): 85-103.
- Cairns, Lucille (2004). Lesbianisme et littérature. Lesbia Magazine 237: 28-33.
- Cairns, Lucille (2003). Lesbianisme et littérature. Les Cahiers du cercle 3: 10-15.
- Cairns, Lucille (2001). Corydon: Politique de la sexualité, politique des sexes. Bulletin des Amis d'André Gide XXIX(130): 219-242.
- Cairns, Lucille (1999). A Queer Romance: Me and French Studies. French Cultural Studies 10(3 (30): 327-336.
- Cairns, Lucille (1998). Gazon maudit: French National and Sexual Identities. French Cultural Studies 9(2 (26): 225-237.
- Cairns, Lucille (1997). Homosexuality and lesbianism in Proust's Sodome et Gomorrhe. French Studies LI(1): 43-59.
- Cairns, Lucille (1996). Gide's Corydon: The Politics of Sexuality and Sexual Politics. The Modern Language Review 91(3): 582-596.
- Cairns, Lucille (1994). Anne Ernaux, Filial Ambivalence and Ce qu'ils disent ou rien. Romance Studies 71-84.
- Cairns, Lucille (1993). Roots and Alienation in Marie Cardinal's Au Pays de mes racines. Forum for Modern Language Studies XXIX(4): 346-358.
- Cairns, Lucille (1992). Passion and Paranoia: Power Structures and the Representation of Men in the Writings of Marie Cardinal. French Studies XLVI(3): 280-295.