Eve English, a former headteacher, is a Literacy lecturer on the PGCE (Primary) course and the BA (QTS) course including the specialist English module. She has spent some time as part of the team from Durham University Education Department working with colleagues in Lesotho (from the National University of Lesotho and the Lesotho College of Education) on aspects of curriculum development for effective and relevant teacher education in Lesotho.
She is currently working on a digital storytelling project in schools throughout the north-east.
Indicators of Esteem
- Case Studies: “Speech, Language and Communication (A Resource Directory for Early Years Practitioners)”. This is a publication for Durham Local Authority for which I contributed case studies describing speech and language intervention programmes used in schools.
- Evaluative research: English, E. and Machin, J. “Environmental Story Sacks” Education 3-13, Vol.33 No. 2 June 2005 This paper was the result of evaluative research done for Sedgefield Borough Council of an environmental project carried out by the Council in conjunction with “Going for Green”, East Durham and Houghall Community College, County Durham Arts, Libraries and Museums Dept. The Rainbow Fun Club and WasteWise Project.
- Joint editorship: Joint editorship of two books: English, E. and Williamson, J. (Eds) 2004 Meeting the Standards in Primary English, London: RoutledgeFalmer English, E. and Newton L. (Eds) 2005 Professional Studies in the Primary School London: David Fulton
- Project team: Part of ESRC project team led by Hargreaves and Moyles that resulted in publication of: English, E. Hargreaves, L. and Hislam, J. (2002) Pedagogical Dilemmas in the National Literacy Strategy: Primary Teachers’ Perceptions, Reflections and Classroom Behaviour, Cambridge Journal of Education, 32, 9-26 English, E. Hislam, J. and Hargreaves, L. (2003) Can we talk about that later? The tensions and conflicts of teaching interactively in the literacy hour in MOYLES,J. HARGREAVES, L., PATERSON, A.S.F. ESARTE-SARRIES, V. AND MERRY, R. (EDS) Interactive teaching in primary classrooms: digging deeper into meanings. Buckingham: Open University Press The findings of the project were presented at 2 BERA conferences: 2000: “ STILL SPRINTING ….. Study of Primary Interactive Teaching” and 2001: “The Implementation of Interactive Teaching in the Literacy Hour: Conflict and Compromise” Results presented in a conference for teachers (research based). Summary of research on DFES research website.
Chapter in book
- English, E. (2015). Writing and Drama. In Beyond Early Reading. Waugh, D., Neaum, S. & Bushnell, A. London: Critical Publishing.
- English, E. (2014). Is there a place for drama?. In Primary English for Trainee Teachers. Waugh, D., Jolliffe, W. & Allott, K. London: Sage.
- English, E. (2013). Proficient readers – what next?. In Beyond Early Reading. Waugh, D. & Neaum, S. Northwich: Critical Publishing.
- E. English, J. Hislam & L. Hargreaves (2003). Can we talk about that later? The tensions and conflicts of teaching interactively in the literacy hour. In Interactive teaching in the primary school. Digging deeper into meanings. J. Moyles, L. Hargreaves, R. Merry, F. Paterson & V. Esarte-Sarries Buckingham: Open University Press. 155-170.
- E. English & J. Williamson (2005). Meeting the Standards in Primary English. Routledge-Falmer.
- E. English & L. Newton (2005). Professional Studies in the Primary School. David Fulton.
- Riddick, B. & English, E. (2006). Meeting the Standards? Dyslexic students and the selection process for initial teacher training. European Journal of Teacher Education 29(2): 203-222.
- E. English & J. Machin (2005). Environmental Story Sacks. Education 3-13 33(2): 9-14.
- E. English, L. Hargreaves & J. Hislam (2002). Pedagogical Dilemmas in the National Literacy Strategy: primary teachers' perceptions, reflections and classroom behaviour. Cambridge Journal of Education 32(1): 9-26.
- E. English (2001). Teaching for Understanding: Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage. Evaluation and Research in Education 15(3): 197-204.
- Waugh, D. , Allott. K. Waugh, R. English, E. & Bulmer, E. (2014). The Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar App. Morecambe: Children Count Ltd.