Prof Konstantinos Nikolopoulos
Dr. Konstantinos (Kostas) Nikolopoulos is the Professor in Business Information Systems and Analytics at Durham University Business School.
Dr. Nikolopoulos studied Electrical and Computer Engineering at the National Technical University of Athens (ΕΜΠ) in his native Greece (D.Eng. 2002, Dipl. Eng. 1997). He further completed the International Teachers Programme (ITP) at Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University (2011). His research interests are Forecasting, Analytics, Information Systems, and Operations.
Dr. Nikolopoulos was Professor of Business Analytics/Decision Sciences at Bangor University for a full decade, and completed three tenures as the College Director of Research (Associate Dean for Research & Impact) for the College of Business, Law, Education, and Social Sciences (2011-2018) in charge of the REF2014 submission for the Business and the Law school. Before that, he was Lecturer and Senior Lecturer in Decision Sciences at the University of Manchester, a Senior Research Associate at Lancaster University and the CTO of the Forecasting and Strategy Unit (www.fsu.gr) in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department of the National Technical University of Athens (1996-2004). He has also held fixed-term teaching and academic appointments in the Indian School of Business, Korea University, Univerity of the Peloponnese, Hellenic International University, RWTH Aachen, Lille 2, and more recently in Kedge Business School.
Professor Nikolopoulos is an Associate Editor of Oxford IMA "Journal of Management Mathematics" and the "Supply Chain Forum, an International Journal" (Taylor & Francis); he is also the Section Editor-In-Chief for the "Forecasting in Economics and Management" section in the MDPI open access journal "Forecasting".
Professor Nikolopoulos is currently Co-Investigator in two major research grants for a) the GCRF; South Asia Self Harm research capability building initiative (SASHI) project funded by the Medical Research Council in UK (2017-2021), http://sashi.bangor.ac.uk/., and b) the H2020-FETPROACT; Radioactivity Monitoring in Ocean Ecosystems (RAMONES) funded by the EU (2021-2025). In the past he has succesfully bid as PI for more than £0.5M of research grants through the forecasting laboratory (forLAB) he founded and directed in Prifysgol Bangor University in Wales, UK.
Professor Nikolopoulos' work has been consistently appearing in the International Journal of Forecasting (29 outputs) but also in journals for broader audiences including the Journal of Operations Management, the European Journal of Operational Research, and the Journal of Computer Information Systems. His research outputs, citations, and respective research impact can be found at https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=7u7ENCsAAAAJ&hl=en
- Information Systems
- Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos (Published). We need to talk about intermittent demand forecasting. European Journal of Operational Research
- Katsagounos, Ilias, Thomakos, Dimitrios D., Litsiou, Konstantia & Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos (2021). Superforecasting reality check: Evidence from a small pool of experts and expedited identification. European Journal of Operational Research 289(1): 107-117.
- Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos, Punia, Sushil Schäfers, Andreas Tsinopoulos, Christos & Vasilakis, Chrysovalantis (2020). Forecasting and planning during a pandemic: COVID-19 growth rates, supply chain disruptions, and governmental decisions. European Journal of Operational Research
- Pochiraju, Bhimasankaram, Seshadri, Sridhar, Thomakos, Dimitrios D. & Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos (2020). Non-Negativity of a Quadratic form with Applications to Panel Data Estimation, Forecasting and Optimization. Stats 3(3): 185-202.
- Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos & Petropoulos, Fotios (2018). Forecasting for big data: Does suboptimality matter?. Computers & Operations Research 98: 322.
- Petropoulos, Fotios, Kourentzes, Nikolaos, Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos & Siemsen, Enno (2018). Judgmental selection of forecasting models. Journal of Operations Management 60: 34-46.
- Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos, Buxton, Samantha, Khammash, Marwan & Stern, Philip (2016). Forecasting branded and generic pharmaceuticals. International Journal of Forecasting 32(2): 344.
- Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos I., Babai, M. Zied & Bozos, Konstantinos (2016). Forecasting supply chain sporadic demand with nearest neighbor approaches. International Journal of Production Economics 177: 139.
- Chakravarty, S. P., Thomakos, D. D. & Nikolopoulos, K. I. (2016). Growth, deregulation and rent seeking in post-war British economy. Applied Economics 48(18): 1719.
- Syntetos, Aris A., Babai, Zied, Boylan John E., Kolassa, Stephan & Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos (2016). Supply Chain Forecasting: Theory, Practice, their Gap and the Future. European Journal of Operational Research 252(1): 1-26.
- Spithourakis, Georgios P., Petropoulos, Fotios, Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos & Assimakopoulos, Vassilios (2015). Amplifying the learning effects via a Forecasting and Foresight Support System. International Journal of Forecasting 31(1): 20.
- Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos, Litsa, Akrivi, Petropoulos, Fotios, Bougioukos, Vasileios & Khammash, Marwan (2015). Relative performance of methods for forecasting special events. Journal of Business Research 68(8): 1785.
- Petropoulos, Fotios, Makridakis, Spyros, Assimakopoulos, Vassilios & Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos (2014). ‘Horses for Courses’ in demand forecasting. European Journal of Operational Research 237(1): 152-163.
- Spithourakis, G. P., Petropoulos, F., Nikolopoulos, K. & Assimakopoulos, V. (2014). A systemic view of the ADIDA framework. IMA Journal of Management Mathematics 25(2): 125.
- Thomakos, D. & Nikolopoulos, K. (2014). Fathoming the theta method for a unit root process. IMA Journal of Management Mathematics 25(1): 105.
- Savio, Nicolas D. & Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos (2013). A strategic forecasting framework for governmental decision-making and planning. International Journal of Forecasting 29(2): 311.
- Babai, M. Zied, Ali, Mohammad M. & Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos (2012). Impact of temporal aggregation on stock control performance of intermittent demand estimators: Empirical analysis. Omega 40(6): 713.
- Nikolopoulos, K, Syntetos, A A, Boylan, J E, Petropoulos, F & Assimakopoulos, V (2011). An aggregate–disaggregate intermittent demand approach (ADIDA) to forecasting: an empirical proposition and analysis. Journal of the Operational Research Society 62(3): 544.
- Bozos, Konstantinos & Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos (2011). Forecasting the value effect of seasoned equity offering announcements. European Journal of Operational Research 214(2): 418.
- Savio, Nicolas & Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos (2010). Forecasting the Effectiveness of Policy Implementation Strategies. International Journal of Public Administration 33(2): 88.
- Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos (2010). Forecasting with quantitative methods: the impact of special events in time series. Applied Economics 42(8): 947.
- Fildes, Robert, Goodwin, Paul, Lawrence, Michael & Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos (2009). Effective forecasting and judgmental adjustments: an empirical evaluation and strategies for improvement in supply-chain planning. International Journal of Forecasting 25(1): 3.
- Nikolopoulos, K., Goodwin, P., Patelis, A. & Assimakopoulos, V. (2007). Forecasting with cue information: A comparison of multiple regression with alternative forecasting approaches. European Journal of Operational Research 180(1): 354.
- Goodwin, Paul, Fildes, Robert, Lawrence, Michael & Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos (2007). The process of using a forecasting support system. International Journal of Forecasting 23(3): 391.
- Pagourtzi, Elli, Nikolopoulos, Konstantinos & Assimakopoulos, Vassilios (2006). Architecture for a real estate analysis information system using GIS techniques integrated with fuzzy theory. Journal of Property Investment & Finance 24(1): 68.
- Patelis, A, Metaxiotis, K, Nikolopoulos, K & Assimakopoulos, V (2003). FORTV: decision support system for forecasting television viewership. Journal of Computer Information Systems 43(4): 100-107.
- Nikolopoulos, K., Metaxiotis, K., Lekatis, N. & Assimakopoulos, V. (2003). Integrating industrial maintenance strategy into ERP. Industrial Management & Data Systems 103(3): 184.
- Petropoulos, C., Patelis, A., Metaxiotis, K., Nikolopoulos, K. & Assimakopoulos, V. (2003). Sftis: A Decision Support System for Tourism Demand Analysis and Forecasting. Journal of Computer Information Systems 44(1): 21-32.
- Nikolopoulos, K. & Assimakopoulos, V. (2003). Theta intelligent forecasting information system. Industrial Management & Data Systems 103(9): 711.
- Assimakopoulos, V. & Nikolopoulos, K. (2000). The theta model: a decomposition approach to forecasting. International Journal of Forecasting 16(4): 521.